Forum Index > Trip Reports > Preacher Mountain - 2021-05-16
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
mbravenboer

mbravenboer
PostMon May 17, 2021 1:15 pm 
The trail to Rainy Lake is pretty well maintained and mostly free of obstacles. Spotty snow starts at 2500ft and is continuous from about 2800ft, so after that you're on your own finding your way to Rainy Lake. The trail is lightly used with some recent footprints. Rainy Lake itself is not in the Alpine Lakes Wilderness I think, but after 1600ft or so there is some old growth to enjoy. Lots of Trillium and there is a Skunk Cabbage patch too. The views of the creek are quite nice.
Rainy Lake outlet
Rainy Lake outlet
Rainy Lake in the early morning
Rainy Lake in the early morning
Crossing the outlet was a little tricky due to the snow pictured above. On the way back I cut off the top a bit to make it easier. This pile was 4-5ft high and the jump down was a bit scary because you can't see if there is a tree trunk or water below it.
Crossing the outlet was a little tricky due to the snow pictured above. On the way back I cut off the top a bit to make it easier. This pile was 4-5ft high and the jump down was a bit scary because you can't see if there is a tree trunk or water below it.
Above Rainy Lake everything is still snow covered too. I left my snowshoes at Rainy Lake because it didn't seem I was gonna need flotation and proceeded with an ice axe and crampons. The ridge towards Preacher was not as easy as the topomap indicates and you definitely need to leave the ridge now and then to find a good route. It requires some patience.
Garfield Mountain (all the cliffs in the foreground) from the ridge above Rainy Lake to Preacher
Garfield Mountain (all the cliffs in the foreground) from the ridge above Rainy Lake to Preacher
The rock formations of Garfield Mountain are quite something!
The rock formations of Garfield Mountain are quite something!
Russian Butte on the left-side of MFK (Middle Fork Snoqualmie). Right is the Teneriffe - Green ridge
Russian Butte on the left-side of MFK (Middle Fork Snoqualmie). Right is the Teneriffe - Green ridge
I think these are Quartz and Twin Peaks in the distance, but I'm not sure. It seems like Twin Peaks should have some pretty good views.
I think these are Quartz and Twin Peaks in the distance, but I'm not sure. It seems like Twin Peaks should have some pretty good views.
Teneriffe - Green ridge and the Olympics in the far distance.
Teneriffe - Green ridge and the Olympics in the far distance.
The traverse to the 5200ft tarn was straightforward. The ridge after the tarn is a bit steep to get onto but in good snow conditions you can just head straight up from the basin.
The 5200ft tarn just below the ridge to Preacher is starting to melt. I filtered some water from it later in the day. Next I need to get up the ridge in the background.
The 5200ft tarn just below the ridge to Preacher is starting to melt. I filtered some water from it later in the day. Next I need to get up the ridge in the background.
The snowy peaks in the far distance is Mt Pilchuck. Baker is hiding just behind Rooster and Goat and Index. The highest peak on the left is Twin Peaks. In the foreground is the tarn below Preacher Mountain.
The snowy peaks in the far distance is Mt Pilchuck. Baker is hiding just behind Rooster and Goat and Index. The highest peak on the left is Twin Peaks. In the foreground is the tarn below Preacher Mountain.
The cliffy peak is Bessemer Mountain. To the right is Bessequartz in the foreground. The peak in the back right may be Paperboy, but I'm not sure.
The cliffy peak is Bessemer Mountain. To the right is Bessequartz in the foreground. The peak in the back right may be Paperboy, but I'm not sure.
MFK with Olympics in the far distance (if you zoom in you can see Seattle and Bellevue too). Taken from Preacher Mountain
MFK with Olympics in the far distance (if you zoom in you can see Seattle and Bellevue too). Taken from Preacher Mountain
I didn't go straight to the summit ridge, trying to avoid ups and downs and cornices and instead traversed towards the true summit. This worked pretty well. There are still cornices and I saw some fresh cornice failures, so be careful out there!
The Preacher Mountain summit ridge looking north towards Baker and Shuksan, with Del Campo and Gothic Peak to the right
The Preacher Mountain summit ridge looking north towards Baker and Shuksan, with Del Campo and Gothic Peak to the right
Glacier Peak from Preacher Mountain
Glacier Peak from Preacher Mountain
View towards Glacier Peak with Garfield Mountain in the foreground
Burntboot Peak ridge in the center, with the Middle Fork Snoqualmie River drainage in front of it (and Price on the other side), and the Burtboot Creek drainage behind it, leading to Overcoat Peak. In the back is the ridge of Chimney Rock, Lemah, Chikamin
Burntboot Peak ridge in the center, with the Middle Fork Snoqualmie River drainage in front of it (and Price on the other side), and the Burtboot Creek drainage behind it, leading to Overcoat Peak. In the back is the ridge of Chimney Rock, Lemah, Chikamin
Burntboot Peak tto Overcoat in the center and the Lemah/Chikamin ridge in the background
Burntboot Peak tto Overcoat in the center and the Lemah/Chikamin ridge in the background
View up the Dingford Creek drainage towards Big Snow Mountain. Mt Daniel in the background
View up the Dingford Creek drainage towards Big Snow Mountain. Mt Daniel in the background
Panorama north towards the Monte Cristo group and Glacier Peak
Panorama north towards the Monte Cristo group and Glacier Peak
Hatchet Lake below Preacher Mountain
Hatchet Lake below Preacher Mountain
Shamrock Lake and Elbow Lake below Preacher Mountain
Shamrock Lake and Elbow Lake below Preacher Mountain
Mt Rainier from Preacher Mountain
Mt Rainier from Preacher Mountain (Mt Rainier is about 50 miles from Preacher in a straight line)
Mt Rainier from Preacher Mountain (Mt Rainier is about 50 miles from Preacher in a straight line)
Lake Caroline in the foreground and Chair Peak and Kaleetan Peak in the background
Lake Caroline in the foreground and Chair Peak and Kaleetan Peak in the background
Hatchet Lake below, then Wild Dare, then Wright Mountain (Snow Lake behind there) to the right with Snoqualmie Mountain above it, and then in the background from left to right: Lemah, Chikamin, Mount Thomson, Three Queens in the far distance
Hatchet Lake below, then Wild Dare, then Wright Mountain (Snow Lake behind there) to the right with Snoqualmie Mountain above it, and then in the background from left to right: Lemah, Chikamin, Mount Thomson, Three Queens in the far distance
Left: Web Mountain. Right: Revolution Peak. Between the two is Thompson Lake (barely visible)
Left: Web Mountain. Right: Revolution Peak. Between the two is Thompson Lake (barely visible)
Some fresh cornice failures above Lake Caroline
Some fresh cornice failures above Lake Caroline
The tarn at 5200ft with my tracks up the ridge in the background
The tarn at 5200ft with my tracks up the ridge in the background
Snow conditions were good enough to just go straight up the ridge above the 5200ft tarn. I took a slightly less steep route down (left track)
Snow conditions were good enough to just go straight up the ridge above the 5200ft tarn. I took a slightly less steep route down (left track)
The Flickr album has a map with the track I followed. I had two devices and likely because the drainage is so deep the distances measurement is not very precise. I think it's about 13 miles and 5500ft gain. Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bravenboer/albums/72157719203525946

Tom, RichP
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostMon May 17, 2021 8:59 pm 
Fantastic report, Martin. Looks like terrific conditions and a superb place to be on such a bluebird day. Those views! Beautiful photos as always. I really appreciate your taking the time to label various peaks and put together a smart narrative. It's so helpful in many ways to those of us who have been to several of the places you highlight and would love to go back--as well as recognize what I am seeing when I am up there (in the mountains). Thanks, ~z

Type E

Type E
PostMon May 17, 2021 9:07 pm 
Inspiring post , wish I could refund the time E

Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostTue May 18, 2021 7:21 am 
Great pictures and description! I speak for others, I'm sure, when I say we've missed your reports. Looking forward to more as your time and inclination afford. Is Jake getting close to the age where he can carry his own gear?

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
mbravenboer

mbravenboer
PostTue May 18, 2021 3:05 pm 
Brushbuffalo wrote:
I speak for others, I'm sure, when I say we've missed your reports. Looking forward to more as your time and inclination afford.
I hope to do some nice hikes this summer, but we'll see what time and weather allows smile.gif . Mostly my trips have not been as interesting lately due to other demands on my time. I did one trip to Alta via Gold Creek in winter that was interesting but I didn't entirely make it.
Brushbuffalo wrote:
Is Jake getting close to the age where he can carry his own gear?
Last year in spring we did quite a few nice hikes when everything was closed due to COVID and we couldn't do anything else, but he clearly started not liking it too much and also often got very car sick. I'm not applying too much pressure for now in the hope he gets interested again later smile.gif. He likes going with friends on short hikes, so we do that now and then (Twin Falls, Denny Creek etc).
zephyr wrote:
Looks like terrific conditions and a superb place to be on such a bluebird day. Those views! Beautiful photos as always.
Thanks, glad you liked it!

mosey

mosey
PostTue May 18, 2021 3:21 pm 
Great photography. Really good captures of mid fork in there.

Brucester

Brucester
PostMon May 31, 2021 7:23 pm 
I was just looking at this to see if I'd give it another try. Thanks for the report!

dcA2dc

dcA2dc
PostThu Jun 03, 2021 6:31 am 
Thanks for labeling all those peaks in the photos! Really cool to look through.