Forum Index > Gear Talk > Inexpensive "Amazon" tent
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Downhill

Downhill
PostWed Jun 09, 2021 3:46 pm 
Putting aside all the "you get what you pay for" adages, sometimes cheap is just the right thing for the situation. My daughter is gradually building her backpacking kit and is getting pretty well-sorted over these past couple of years, to the point that the only thing she is missing is a tent. I have a quiver of quality 1-2-4 person tents that she can borrow - but she wants her own, as she should. I think some off-brand 2-person, lightweight, compact tent that can get her through 2-3 seasons would be just the ticket, while she saves up for a top-end investment that will last her decades. There are many of these $70-$125 off-brand tents on Amazon and many that have 4+ star reviews, but I realize that many of these reviews are from people who won't know a good tent from junk. Anyway - does anyone have experience/recommendations for a cira $100 2-person tent - pretty light?? Even if it turns out badly, it's only 100

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Jaberwock

Jaberwock
PostWed Jun 09, 2021 5:13 pm 
Anyone wanna pull a Slugman? Seems like the perfect opportunity.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Jun 09, 2021 5:26 pm 
Seems like a good time to upgrade one of your tents and gift the old one to your offspring.

seawallrunner
Downhill

Downhill
PostWed Jun 09, 2021 10:06 pm 
Randito wrote:
Seems like a good time to upgrade one of your tents and gift the old one to your offspring.
Totally. I have considered that, but that's not what's going to happen. She's going to have her own tent. rolleyes.gif

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Jun 09, 2021 10:20 pm 
Downhill wrote:
Totally. I have considered that, but that's not what's going to happen. She's going to have her own tent. rolleyes.gif
Well at least she wants to go backpacking. It's not unexpected that young folks need to push away from their folks and blaze their own path.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Jun 09, 2021 11:45 pm 
She should buy a good used one, here or somewhere else. Buying a cheap, heavy tent is usually money wasted. I rarely buy any gear or other things for that matter new. I am a total bargain shopper. Thrift stores, yard sales, CL, here, FB buy sell and trade groups, etc.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostThu Jun 10, 2021 7:29 am 
Downhill wrote:
Randito wrote:
Geez, I wish my daughter had that philosophy! Several times in the past few years she has "borrowed" one of my high-end two pound (or sub two pound) tents and I haven't seen them since. But, I don't mind all that much, It just gives me a good reason to try a newer/lighter model of something else.

Downhill

Downhill
PostThu Jun 10, 2021 7:43 am 
Randito wrote:
Well at least she wants to go backpacking. It's not unexpected that young folks need to push away from their folks and blaze their own path.
Exactly!! I am thrilled about it! We have been taking a few trips a year together and I'm having the time of my life.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Jun 10, 2021 10:54 am 
HitTheTrail wrote:
Several times in the past few years she has "borrowed" one
My oldest son has a number of clothing items "borrowed" from me -- and he and the rest of his siblings wonder why dad now only buys clothes as "new old stock" in garish, unpopular colors.

KascadeFlat

KascadeFlat
PostThu Jun 10, 2021 11:55 am 
I backpacked for years in my dad's 1985 Eureka two man tent. I am still benefiting from the weight training of hauling that thing around. smile.gif As for your daughter - I am not sure how much effort she is willing to put into bargain hunting, but there are a few options out there. In the past I have purchased tents from outfits that rent gear and sell off their used inventory once it is no longer adequate for rentals. Ex: https://www.outdoorsgeek.com/product-category/buy-now-used/ There are a few of these sites around so you can do some googling and price shop. There is a rental outfit in Seattle that might be worth an email to see if they want to part with anything used: https://www.back40outfitters.co/rent-backpacking-gear Other than that, ebay, REI garage sale etc.

For a good time call: 1-800-SLD-ALDR.

Downhill
forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostFri Jun 11, 2021 7:22 am 
Recently seen this guy reviewing gear.. Base camp chris..on u.tube. Alps lynx 1 tent...but 4lb..100$

Gil

Gil
PostFri Jun 11, 2021 10:05 am 
Last spring, I bought one these silnylon tarps. It's relatively small, and I was initially skeptical about setting it up as a half-mid, but heck it actually works! I've used it in a variety of conditions, including as a ground layer in snow for a bivvy. Only fits one in the "tent" configuration but could shelter two in a flatter setup. Pretty light at about 10 ounces with six stakes and long cords. A tent is a tent, but a tarp can be all sorts of things. https://www.ebay.com/itm/393294706856

Friends help the miles go easier. Klahini

rbuzby
Downhill

Downhill
PostFri Jun 11, 2021 7:15 pm 
KascadeFlat wrote:
I backpacked for years in my dad's 1985 Eureka two man tent. I am still benefiting from the weight training of hauling that thing around. smile.gif As for your daughter - I am not sure how much effort she is willing to put into bargain hunting, but there are a few options out there. In the past I have purchased tents from outfits that rent gear and sell off their used inventory once it is no longer adequate for rentals. Ex: https://www.outdoorsgeek.com/product-category/buy-now-used/ There are a few of these sites around so you can do some googling and price shop. There is a rental outfit in Seattle that might be worth an email to see if they want to part with anything used: https://www.back40outfitters.co/rent-backpacking-gear Other than that, ebay, REI garage sale etc.
Very helpful response! Thank you for all of your ideas/suggestions!

KascadeFlat
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostSat Jun 12, 2021 12:43 am 
Know a guy one time hauled in one of them big multi-room deals. Kind of tent you can stand up in. Walmart cheapo type deal. Big footprint!!! It was too hard to find a decent spot.

mosey
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Jun 20, 2021 7:35 pm 
Are you opposed to one person tents? Will she take good care of it? Is hiking something you think she'll do the rest of her life?

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln