Forum Index > Gear Talk > Care to guess when online gear will return?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Jumble Jowls

Jumble Jowls
PostSat Jun 12, 2021 8:14 am 
We all know about the supply line disruptions caused by the pandemic. Ships waiting weeks or longer to get a slot in port. Last winter I wanted to order some good snowshoes. I was dreaming. Now I'm looking ahead to the coming winter. Nothing yet, unless you're willing to take low quality stuff. Maybe local retailers have priority over online outfits, which they should, but so far nothing there either. Any educated guesses?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Schroder

Schroder
PostSat Jun 12, 2021 11:21 am 
I think it will take years for the supply chain to smooth out. All the businesses are now learning the consequences of their Just-in-Time management philosophy of carrying no stocked inventory.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Jun 12, 2021 5:36 pm 
Jumble Jowls

Jumble Jowls
PostSat Jun 12, 2021 8:04 pm 
neek

neek
PostSat Jun 12, 2021 8:20 pm 
OK...get the MSRs at REI? They let me add to cart at least... Haven't had any trouble finding things this past year. Backpacks, stove fuel, kids bike, toilet paper, whatever. (Oh, except whole wheat pastry flour - what's up with that?) People tend to panic when they can't get something they want the second they want it, and yeah supply chains have been a bit wonky, but I really don't think the sky is falling.

Jumble Jowls

Jumble Jowls
PostSun Jun 13, 2021 11:08 am 
To my embarrassment, my initial post is somewhat out of date. After neek's post, I went to REI (which I usually avoid), and some fairly good MSRs are now in, but not the top notch Lightning Ascent in men's. But they have the women's Lightning in 22", which is too small for me. Also I went to Tubbs and what do you know - the excellent Flex VRT is now in, but only in 28". The 24" I'm waiting for still is not available. So there are still delays in the supply chains. As another example, while not exactly "outdoor gear" except to get to the trailhead, someone mentioned the other day that the 4WD she ordered in April still is not in. And I still can't find a good bike for my wife, which she's wanted since last year. But apparently things are improving, slowly.

neek

neek
PostSun Jun 13, 2021 11:38 am 
The chip shortage affecting the auto industry was freaking weird, I admit. Bikes can be found, if you're flexible. Craigslist can be a good source if you're adept at evaluating used equipment and check bikeindex.org to make sure it's not hot. You're welcome to borrow my MSRs until, say, November smile.gif

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSun Jun 13, 2021 11:59 am 
Quote:
A reporter walked up to a group of four guys on the street. There was an American, a Russian, a North Korean, and an Israeli. He asked them "Excuse me, whats your opinion of the meat shortage?" The American replied "whats a shortage?" The Russian asked "what is meat?" The North Korean said "what is an opinion." And the Israeli says: "what's excuse me."

Schroder

Schroder
PostMon Jun 14, 2021 9:30 am 
This should help: Giant cranes arrive to start work at Port of Seattle And if you don't believe there's a global supply chain problem you should read this: ‘I’ve Never Seen Anything Like This’: Chaos Strikes Global Shipping I'm in Holmes Harbor on Whidbey Island - a backup anchorage for ships. We normally don't see any but since November 3-4 ships at a time, each with about 3000 containers on board, have been anchored in front of our house for periods of a week to 2 months.

Schroder

Schroder
PostTue Jun 15, 2021 11:07 am 
Another article on the issue from NPR: How 'Chaos' In The Shipping Industry Is Choking The Economy
Quote:
As for when it's going to get better, none of the people we spoke to believes it'll be anytime soon. And it's not even considered peak season for the shipping industry yet. That typically begins in August, when American stores start building their inventories for the back-to-school and holiday seasons. The residents of Whidbey Island may have to continue dealing with the nuisance of gigantic, noisy ships cluttering up the horizon for the foreseeable future.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Jun 15, 2021 9:26 pm 
Counterfeit electronics aren't a new problem, of course. Counterfeit iPhones, Kindles, and so forth have abounded on e-commerce sites like Alibaba and Aliexpress for a long time. But counterfeit chips target their market a bit differently—instead of going after consumers trying to save a little money, counterfeit chips target production lines in danger of shutting down entirely. https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/06/chip-shortages-lead-to-more-counterfeit-chips-and-devices/?amp=1