Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Warning! Arts Plug
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostSun Mar 29, 2020 3:25 pm 
I'm going with the Arts Plug thread on this one with something from a Poet Laureate. As a boomer myself (67 yrs.) in these not happy times, it's worthy listening and identifying musical references couched in historical events. Enough said.

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostTue Jun 22, 2021 9:22 am 
Starting July 1 there will be a Monet exhibition at the Seattle Art Museum. Tonight between 5 PM-6 PM the museum is offering a free on-line presentation of the event given by one of the museum curators. It is certainly worth the price but you have to register to attend. Here it is. https://seattleartmuseum.org/visit/calendar/events?EventId=76407

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostWed Sep 29, 2021 5:29 pm 
Drive around Seattle enough, especially in Ballard and eventually you're sure to see a whimsical animal mural made by the local artist who signs his art as "Henry". KUOW recently did a feature about Ryan Henry Ward. The story's purpose seemed to be an emphasis on how one person overcame severe mental health challenges, but Henry's Wikipedia bio and personal info on his website provide additional info. I've appreciated his murals - moments of humor in often dull corners of the neighborhood. The KUOW story motivated me to check out his website. I had no idea he did a lot of smaller stuff including cards, posters, shirts, etc. - great PNW-themed gift ideas in there. Thanks to KUOW - it's hard for artists to buy that kind of publicity, although Henry paid for it with considerable public personal vulnerability.
by Ryan Henry Ward
by Ryan Henry Ward

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostWed Sep 29, 2021 5:48 pm 
I love Henry's stuff. There's a pot shop near me with some wonderful artwork; a moon with 3 eyes, a sleepy happy sloth....I have some of his notecards from his website. pretty neat stuff.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert

Anne Elk
Slim
This space for rent

Slim
This space for rent
PostWed Sep 29, 2021 6:38 pm 
I like his artwork as well. In my neighborhood, he has a series of fantastical wizards drawings about 10 ft up high on telephone poles. You don't notice them unless you're paying attention. https://www.seattletimes.com/business/technology/have-you-seen-the-wizard-searching-for-a-street-art-curiosity/

"Lean mean money-making-machines serving fiends"

Anne Elk
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostWed Sep 29, 2021 8:35 pm 
^^^^Thanks for putting up that link, Slim. A neat story that I missed when it was published. I liked the ending. biggrin.gif While we're on the subject of local visual artists, I really like the artwork of Ballard digital artist and tarot deck designer MJ Cullinane. I discovered her work via an email advert from indiegogo re the fundraiser for her first deck - The Crow Tarot. I'm not a tarot oracle aficionado but I love her beautiful design work and creativity. She's done two crow themes, dogs, cats, and a number of others. Her website. Below is the clever video she created for the Crow Tarot fundraiser, and sample designs from what I think is her most beautiful deck, "Guardians of the Night".
artwork by MJ Cullinane
artwork by MJ Cullinane

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostSat Nov 06, 2021 8:36 am 
The Tchaikovsky Violin Concerto at Benaroya on Thursday had a surprise. In the middle of the score the virtuoso, Ray Chen from Australia, broke a string. He handled the mishap perfectly by making a seamless exchange of instruments with the first violinist. You would have thought they practiced the move beforehand. BTW the violin that Chen plays on is a Stradivarius.

rocknclimb
grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostSun Nov 07, 2021 1:18 pm 
Oops, double post!

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostSun Nov 07, 2021 1:20 pm 
Looks like the Strad was passed back to the 4th chair who replaced the string and got it back to Chen in time for the cadenza!

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostSun Nov 07, 2021 3:07 pm 
You’re correct. The Strad violin was passed to the fourth chair. The video shows Chen handing what I think is a replacement string to the fourth chair. The string that broke was the E string which is the thinnest string and produces the highest notes. He likely had its replacement so handy because it has happened to him before. This clip is from a concert in Belgium in March, 2017. You can hear the string snap. Here too he goes into his pocket and then tosses a package to the concertmaster that probably has a replacement string.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Jul 09, 2022 12:53 pm 
9th Annual Teddy Bear's Picnic! Sunday July 17, 2022 1:00 PM - 4:00 PM, Curran Orchard, University Place, Washington Dancing Bears! Dancing Girls! Live Music! * Free face painting for little faces (by yours truly, among others) * https://www.facebook.com/pages/category/Community-Service/Teddy-Bears-Picnic-University-Place-WA-440113130105087/

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue May 16, 2023 8:59 am 
I have been advised that the next live performance by Dance Theater Northwest will be... Our next performance is Friday, June 16th at the Monarch Theatre—the same church as last time LOCATION Dance Theater Northwest --> "Church Set up is around 3:30pm and show is at 7:30" So... CURTAIN TIME is 7:30 but if you want to show up early and tape down wires, hang sets, or move chairs, be there at 3:30. (* corrected 05/16/23 17:33 PDT *) ==== * IGOR & RED ELVISES * Thursday, June 22, 2023 - Jazzbones - 6th Ave. - Tacoma Saturday, June 24, 2024 - High Dive - Seattle ==== * Mark Your Calendars! * * FAIRY FAIR * Saturday, May 20, 2023 11am to 6pm Crescent Moon Gifts 6th Ave (Highland Hill) Tacoma, Washington ==== * TEDDY BEAR PICNIC * Sunday, July 16th Curran Orchard University Place, Washington --> Teddy Bear Picnic event is 1-4 and set up is at 10am Feel free to show up at 10:00 am to help set up tents, string wiring, and find a shady spot. I will not be arriving early as I am one of the face-painters. Facebook link to 2022 Teddy Bear Picnic ====

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Jul 06, 2023 5:12 pm 
Igor & Red Elvises Thursday August 24 2023 8:00 PM Jazzbones - 6th Ave - Tacoma == *** don't forget Teddy Bear's Picnic Sunday July 16th 2023 Curran Orchard, University Place, Washington 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm * NO admission charge. Nothing to buy. Free event. Bring children. *

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Jul 17, 2023 5:36 am 
there was barely time to prepare a face to meet the faces that they'll meet...
in other news....
my sunflowers are seven feet tall on July 16th
my sunflowers are seven feet tall on July 16th
.... going to need to up my game on the unicorn thing...
Parents were standing in line with children wanting their faces painted for interminably long times in the hot sun because we didn't have enough face painters this year. If you are local, and this is something you think you might be interested in doing for three very crazy and hectic hours, please get in touch with me. Every year my sister says "Never again".... but she says the same thing after every "Nutcracker" performance too.... BK

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Sep 05, 2023 8:11 am 
"The Ascent", a 9-foot bronze sculpture created by Tacoma artist Larry Anderson, was stolen during the evenings of August 24-25. Ten days passed before the Tacoma News Tribune published an article about the theft. KING-5 T.V. got in touch with my mother last night and aired a segment about the stolen statue. We want the statue back. This is not okay. This is right along the same lines as somebody going to Florence and stealing David. Larry Anderson is the artist who created "The Leaf" in Wright Park, among other local landmark artworks. Mom is working on putting a reward fund together. We figure $10K should be enough to get some meth freak to roll over on one of his accomplices. If ANYbody knows ANYthing, get ahold of me or the Bonney Lake Detective assigned to the case HERE: detective@cobl.us Theft of public artwork is NOT okay. How pissed off would you be to learn about any of these turning up missing:
"The Little Mermaid" (bronze) Copenhagen Harbor (photo dorketta)
"The Little Mermaid" (bronze) Copenhagen Harbor (photo dorketta)
"Waiting for the Interurban" (cast aluminum) - Fremont, Seattle
"Waiting for the Interurban" (cast aluminum) - Fremont, Seattle
"Hammering Man" (steel and aluminum) - Seattle Art Museum, Seattle
"Hammering Man" (steel and aluminum) - Seattle Art Museum, Seattle
If fault is to be assigned, it lies directly at the doorstep of the Washington State Legislature. They've dragged their feet for years, refusing to enact effective legislation to address metal theft. Brian Kirk Tacoma