Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Amazon Sidewalk - Seriously?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Brian R

Brian R
PostMon Jun 07, 2021 10:53 pm 
This last winter, during a hard rain, my wife called me on my cell to tell me the gutter above the bedroom was overflowing. I came home, up the ladder, and removed a blue racquet ball from the top of the downspout. (An artifact from last summer's dog guesses where the ball will come down game.) Anyway, that was it. A simple phone call; a simple fix. For the next week after I was bombarded by gutter helmet, new gutter, gutter blah blah banner ads and emails. Coincidence, I suppose.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostTue Jun 08, 2021 8:50 am 
Cyclopath wrote:
Lol pretty much the only advertising I get is for things I just bought. Really expect the masters of the universe to be a little brighter than that. smile.gif
yeah, it is funny that incompetent folks who couldn't find their asses with both hands have created a massive dark web conspiracy to take over everybody's lives, and have done it with stealth and efficiency not usually seen in those types. Ineffectual middle management suck-ups

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostWed Jun 23, 2021 8:41 am 
Cyclopath wrote:
I remember when the internet was coming together and tech people could see that this was a thing they was going to take hold with the public. A lot of people who were interested in technology wanted privacy to be built in from the start and were dismayed that the public didn't care.
The title of a recent David Horsey editorial w/cartoon is "Humans do not have the mental bandwidth to confront climate change" . The same could be said about the general attitude toward digital privacy. Convenience, speed, appealing to our lazier tendencies, and fascination w/novelty is more compelling than privacy. "I have nothing to hide" is a retort I often get when the topic comes up. Many people also don't seem fazed by the implications of a totally cashless economy (we're almost there).
Brian R wrote:
This last winter, during a hard rain, my wife called me on my cell to tell me the gutter above the bedroom was overflowing. I came home, up the ladder, and removed a blue racquet ball from the top of the downspout. ... that was it. A simple phone call; a simple fix. For the next week after I was bombarded by gutter helmet, new gutter, gutter blah blah banner ads and emails. Coincidence, I suppose.
I've been fed online ads for stuff/services that if not coincidence, only could have happened if Google et al was either scanning my emails for keywords, or listening to my (non-smart phone) conversations. huh.gif

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood