Forum Index > Gear Talk > Looking for New Shoulder Pouch for Bulky Compact Camera
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
rossb

rossb
PostTue Jun 29, 2021 8:24 am 
For years I have used a ZPacks Shoulder Pouch to carry my camera. I cut a small box out of closed cell foam (to put around the camera) and kept it inside the pouch. The camera would easily slip in and out, while the draw string on top would keep it from falling out. I really like the simplicity and reliability of the pouch. I recently bought a Sony Cyber Shot DSC RX 100. This is a great camera, but it is much bulkier. I cut the usual box for it, but even though I used thinner foam, it is a really tight fit. It doesn’t work well, so I’m looking for a bigger pouch. If ZPacks made a bigger version of the same thing (bigger diameter) I would definitely get that. Gossamer Gear makes a similar shoulder strap that comes with built in foam (that is probably adequate for protection). It seems designed for phones, as it is rectangular in shape, with a fairly small amount of depth (1.5 inches in size large). They also make a “Feed Bag”, but it looks to be too small as well. Any ideas?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tomlike

Tomlike
PostTue Jun 29, 2021 9:21 am 
Perhaps the Seek Outside pocket? https://seekoutside.com/hipbelt-pocket-revolution-frame-backpacks/ I know Zimmerbuilt has done custom pockets in the past, could inquire about that if you have rough dimensions https://www.zimmerbuilt.com/

Waterman

Waterman
PostTue Jun 29, 2021 3:18 pm 
Mike McHale of McHales packs would probably make whatever you like. Shop is near Shoreline Community College.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost
mike

mike
PostTue Jun 29, 2021 3:30 pm 
Tomlike wrote:
I know Zimmerbuilt has done custom pockets in the past,
They did a custom shoulder strap pouch for me. Works great Modified this to my dimensions

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostTue Jun 29, 2021 4:37 pm 
Kuiu makes several besides this one. They make quality stuff. I have used these on a couple of my pack mods. Take a look at them and their other chest puches.

fjoro

fjoro
PostTue Jun 29, 2021 6:10 pm 
I don't have a recommendation for a pouch, but if you still plan to use foam as a liner you may want to consider a screen protector for the camera. I had a pouch from Mountain Laurel Designs that I lined with foam for a Sony Nex-5. The fit was snug, though not too tight to be inconvenient. But after a six-day trip, the anti-reflective coating on the camera's screen had mostly rubbed off from pulling the camera out of the pouch. (It was a scenic trip.) Mostly a cosmetic thing, but you have a nice camera there.

How would Horatio Alger have handled this situation?
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Jun 29, 2021 7:50 pm 
I always found pouches and the like at the Garage sale for next to nothing. Now it is at all the stores.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Schroder

Schroder
PostTue Jun 29, 2021 7:53 pm 
I use OpTech soft pouches and straps for my cameras. Glazer's or Kenmore Camera have a wide selection to fit anything.

rossb

rossb
PostFri Jul 02, 2021 3:25 pm 
Thanks for all the replies, everyone. I stopped by Kenmore Camera, and got a pretty good pouch. It isn't exactly what I wanted, but I think it will do. If it frustrates me too much, I'll go the custom sewing approach. Thanks, Ross P. S. Good point fjoro about the foam hurting the screen. I generally use the enclosed view finder (and the lens is enclosed) but it would be crazy to thrash the screen, especially since it tilts, making it nice for taking pictures low to the ground (like flowers).

fjoro
InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostSun Jul 04, 2021 6:00 pm 
Rather than a pouch, take a look at the peak designs capture clip. A small plate is mounted to your camera, and it is securely held by the clip. Very simple push button release. Only plate and clip only weight 2.5 ounces. The plate is compatible with any “swis-acra mount” for a tripod. I’m right handed, so I keep the camera on the upper left pack strap. Very simple to simultaneously release and hold the camera. Returning it to the clip is simple. The more handy your camera is, the more photos you will take. The clip comes with the thumb screws shown, and cap screws as well. I used the cap screws (with locktite) as they can be more easily tightened down.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
rossb

rossb
PostSun Jul 04, 2021 6:15 pm 
Yeah, I've read about clips, but have no interest. I want the camera protected at all times. I don't want to worry about it when I'm hiking through brush, or when I take off my pack and set it on the ground. If I was willing to do that, I would take the padding out of my old pouch, and just use that. Thanks for the idea though -- they seem great for better photographers than me (especially wildlife photographers). I'm a hiker that happens to carry a camera, not a guy who hikes to take great pictures.

Bowregard

Bowregard
PostThu Jul 08, 2021 3:49 pm 
That looks very convenient. I have an RX100 and found that it fits nicely inside a "My Passport" portable disk neoprene case. I have always carried it in my pants pocket but I like the idea of having it attached to my shoulder harness so I think I will have a couple elastic bands sewn on similar to the case you have. My case has no draw string or zipper but the hood is sturdy enough to stop the camera from coming out if turned upside down yet keeps it easily accessible. The neoprene keeps water out, provides cushioning, and is very light weight. These are seldom used for their intended purpose (I bought 3 drives and none go in their cases) so I would think they might not be hard to find if you like the idea.

rossb

rossb
PostSun Aug 15, 2021 10:49 am 
Follow up on what I bought, and how I like it. It is made by "Think Tank" and I believe the model is "Little Stuff It" version 3. I prefer a draw string, but I'm getting used to the two zippers. The zippers make sense, given it is designed to use as either a shoulder or belt pouch. It is connected to the back via velcro. There is a hole where a chest strap fits perfectly. The velcro is really handy for switching the pouch from my daypack to my backpack. It is also handy if I want to take the whole thing and put it in my tent or set it outside. I may add some orange tape so that I don't lose it (it is all black -- I wish they had alternate colors). Overall I am really happy with it, even though I wish it was a little lighter.

fjoro