Forum Index > Gear Talk > Favorite low top hikers?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Downhill

Downhill
PostTue Jul 06, 2021 8:29 pm 
I only wear low-tops due to my boney ankles. For the past 5+ years, I have been wearing only Keens. I have a very wide, 4E 11.5 foot and I have not found any maker who makes a shoe wide enough for my foot that is comfortable all day. I have to order these directly from Keen since no store or online retailer offers my width. Sadly for me, Keen only makes my shoe in "waterproof", which of course it's not -- it just means your feet will sweat and stink 5x more. An issue I have with lightweight hiking shoes is the sole, which is typically thin, light, and soft. This means that after a long day of hiking, your feet will feel like you are walking on super sharp rocks (bcs you are). A hack that I came up with to help prevent bruising the balls of my feet is to make insoles from those thin plastic chopping mats sold at Target on Amazon. They are super thin, flexible sheets that take up no room when layered under the insoles your shoes came with - I have even layered 2 in mine. They sell for about $6 for a pack of 4 and you can easily get both insoles from 1 sheet. I just trace my OEM insole with a sharpie and cut them with scissors. It made my shoes at least 50% more bruise-resistant - maybe more. Search either the Target or Amazon website for "plastic chopping mat"

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Jul 06, 2021 10:16 pm 
I am a fan of Asics shoes, I had a pair similar to the link posted below, they were so light and comfortable. They had a rock plate sole, not sure if these do. One drawback is that they wear out much faster than heavy boots, ying-yang. https://www.asics.com/us/en-us/gel-cumulus-21-g-tx/p/ANA_1011A571-020.html

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Downhill

Downhill
PostTue Jul 06, 2021 10:52 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
One drawback is that they wear out much faster than heavy boots, ying-yang.
I go through 1 pair of hiking shoes a year

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostWed Jul 07, 2021 12:18 am 
The foremost prevailing ideology in the boot scene is the heavier the better.

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostWed Jul 07, 2021 4:45 am 
Downhill wrote:
For the past 5+ years, I have been wearing only Keens. I have a very wide, 4E 11.5 foot and I have not found any maker who makes a shoe wide enough for my foot that is comfortable all day. I have to order these directly from Keen since no store or online retailer offers my width.
Which shoe do you wear? I've got extra-wide feet and I've never been able to make wide Keens fit. I've been using New Balance 4E trail running shoes in recent years but fit is dependent on the last they use for a particular model and they no longer specify the last like they used to. This year I was lucky to stumble across the New Balance Fresh Foam More Trail v1 which has been the best fitting hiking shoe I've had in years.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
Downhill

Downhill
PostWed Jul 07, 2021 3:12 pm 
Brian Curtis wrote:
Which shoe do you wear? I've got extra-wide feet and I've never been able to make wide Keens fit
I wear the Keen Targhee II. It looks like they have the non-waterproof model back in stock - so I will have to grab a pair

Navy salad

Navy salad
PostWed Jul 07, 2021 11:15 pm 
Downhill wrote:
An issue I have with lightweight hiking shoes is the sole, which is typically thin, light, and soft. This means that after a long day of hiking, your feet will feel like you are walking on super sharp rocks (bcs you are).
I know what you mean re: feeling the rocks through most light hiking shoes, but not ALL light hikers are like this. My current favorite shoes, the Oboz Sawtooth II, has stiffer soles than many light hikers and does a nice job of keeping the irritating pointy rocks from being as noticeable.

Gil

Gil
PostThu Jul 08, 2021 11:13 am 
I found a pair of North Face Hedgehog Gore-tex low tops at Goodwill a few years ago and bought them even though they were a half size too big ($14 was just too good to pass up). They became my favorite low tops of all time. I've used them on a variety of long backpacking trips and dayhikes, and after I really abused them in the Escalante last fall, I decided that they were worth trying to find new. So I went on Facebook Marketplace and found two pairs in new condition for cheap and bought them. So now I've got enough for the forseeable future! I like them for a relatively stiff sole and ample space in the toe box because I have a semi-wide foot. Anyway, another option.

Friends help the miles go easier. Klahini
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Jul 21, 2021 1:25 pm 
I read and hear of a lot of hikers having problems with hiking boots sole delaminating, even with reputable manufacturers. I have read that it is suggested to remove insoles and dry boots-shoes after each hike. How much of the delaminating problem do you think is due to lack of care or poor quality workmanship?

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.