Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > What are you reading?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostWed Jun 16, 2021 10:49 am 
Book It Repertory did Travels with Charley on stage. Charley was a guy dressed in a poodle costume. Several times on this site I had mentioned that Steinbeck writes about dripping or running water sounding like human voices. He does that in Travels with Charley his first night in the camper during the rain. I love that.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Jun 16, 2021 3:17 pm 
A little bit into "Death on the Nile." I read one of Christie's earliest Poirot novels a while ago. It didn't do much for me, but I thought I'd try one of the more well known stories. It's early, but it's not grabbing me. Setting all the characters up, but mostly it's snooty British society people gossiping about other people. I am looking forward to the upcoming latest theatrical version. It's already been pushed back from '20 to '21 to now '22. It might not ever get released at this rate. It's got a nice ensemble cast, but I'm most excited about Emma Mackey, who I discovered on a Netflix series and now I'm obsessed with.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu Jun 17, 2021 2:03 pm 
Death on the Nile is picking up a bit. Moving the setting from England to Egypt has helped, as well as several of the principal characters interacting w/ Poirot. I'm a bit confused about some of the casting choices for the upcoming film. Gal Gadot is a lovely woman, but the character she is portraying is only 20 in the novel. She doesn't come close to passing for 20, and the character's age is actually fairly important because she's an heiress who hasn't come into her full inheritance yet. Emma Mackey and Gadot's characters are supposed to be contemporaries, and there is an 11 year age difference between the 2 actresses. Hollywood math...one of the dumbest things in the world.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSat Jun 19, 2021 6:01 pm 
I think I can conclude I prefer Sherlock Holmes stories to Hercule Poirot, but a very wide margin. I pushed thru it because it's a library book and I wanted to return it before I have to go out of town. It got very convoluted, there were about a dozen red herrings, but it turns out the very first thought I had early in the book proved to be correct. I never read "Murder on the Orient Express," but saw the recent film version. Some similarities, you gather a group of people in a confined area, pretty much everybody has a motive to be the killer, throw it in a blender.

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostThu Jul 08, 2021 9:13 am 
"The Empire of the Beetle" by Andrew Nikiforuk a frightening look at the causes and effects of the climate change on forests and people, Very disheartening but totally educational and alarming. paranoid.gif

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostThu Jul 08, 2021 11:55 pm 
^^^^ Anything by Nikiforuk is excellent, I've read several, including that one. He's probably the most knowledgeable journalist in Canada re the tar sands, fracking, and the politics of oil in general. http://www.andrewnikiforuk.com/Books/books.html

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Jul 09, 2021 12:01 am 
Utopia Avenue, about a rock group in London in 1967. By David Mitchell author of The Cloud Atlas and The Bone Clocks. Great if you lived through that era.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Bosterson

Bosterson
PostSun Jul 11, 2021 12:33 am 
James Crowden - "The Frozen River" Finalist for the 2020 Boardman-Tasker prize. Been waiting for it to be published in this country, finally came into stock at Powell's after a printing delay.

Go! Take a gun! And a dog! Without a leash! Chop down a tree! Start a fire! Piss wherever you want! Build a cairn! A HUGE ONE! BE A REBEL! YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE! (-bootpathguy)
lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostSat Jul 24, 2021 6:37 am 
"Douglas Fir: the Story of the West's Most Remarkable Tree" by Stephen Arno and Carl Fiedler A lovely straight forward book about the tree, it's history, places to see fine examples of the two species. I really enjoyed it. cool.gif up.gif

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Jul 25, 2021 3:02 pm 
I've read some collections of Sherlock Holmes stories that are mostly quite short in format. Just picked up "The Hound of the Baskervilles" from the library, one of the few Sherlock tales that is a novel.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostFri Aug 06, 2021 2:35 pm 
The Hound of the Baskervilles was kinda odd, Sherlock was missing from the action for about 2/3 of the book. Centered mostly around Watson. It was okay, but I didn't love it. Probably done w/ Sherlock and Poirot for the foreseeable future. My dad recommended the author Stephen P. Kiernan to me. I'm reading and enjoying "The Baker's Secret." Set in a small coastal village in France, occupied by Nazi troops during WWII. It's about the villagers' resistance, both passive and active, to their occupiers. edit--finished this in 2 days, it was excellent

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostSat Aug 07, 2021 6:51 am 
"Gathering Mosses-a natural and cultural history of mosses" by Robin Wall Kimmerer I couldn't put it down. Well written and insightful. check it out. cool.gif

neek

neek
PostTue Aug 10, 2021 3:14 pm 
This Is Your Mind On Plants. Michael Pollan takes us deeper into the world of mind-altering substances, with essays on opium, caffeine, and mescaline. The first, in which he cultivates his own poppies, appeared in Harper's a few decades ago, minus a few key sections. The mescaline chapter goes deep into the spiritual significance of the peyote cactus to native tribes. The book wasn't quite as eye-opening as his previous (How To Change Your Mind), but still a fun and quick read. Definitely makes one a little curious, less fearful, and more angry over the "war on drugs". Found in the library's "peak picks" section.

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostTue Aug 10, 2021 6:48 pm 
neek wrote:
Found in the library's "peak picks" section.
Now that's interesting to hear. ~z

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostWed Aug 11, 2021 8:45 am 
zephyr wrote:
neek wrote:
Found in the library's "peak picks" section.
Now that's interesting to hear. ~z
I select a staff pick a few times a year and have always enjoyed them. I make it a point to do that; I figure it gets me reading something I may not normally choose. I think the best was The Nix, by Nathan Hill. I liked it so much I read it again a couple years later.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert