Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Olympic NF timber thief convicted
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
jinx'sboy

jinx'sboy
PostFri Jul 09, 2021 2:32 pm 
This is interesting - Announcement from US Dept of Justice on a timber theft conviction. https://www.justice.gov/usao-wdwa/pr/timber-thief-convicted-following-6-day-trial Apparently the first time DNA was used in a timber theft case to match and trace the seized products back to the cut material on the ground. Score one for the good guys!

Kascadia, Dave Weyrick, valleyjo
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
gb

gb
PostSat Jul 10, 2021 12:55 pm 
Follow this up with a nice Civil Case against the dufus's.

Pyrites

Pyrites
PostSun Jul 11, 2021 1:42 pm 
So without the fire there would have been no investigation. Real brain trust I知 sure. My question: Do the guys that cut the maples and bear all the risks of occasionally getting caught, do their own scouting, or is this a specialty of someone associated with a broker or the mills, who shows them where to cut? Is there another link in the chain that might be harder to replace that law enforcement should focus on?

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSun Jul 11, 2021 3:18 pm 
Pyrites wrote:
So without the fire there would have been no investigation. Real brain trust I知 sure. My question: Do the guys that cut the maples and bear all the risks of occasionally getting caught, do their own scouting, or is this a specialty of someone associated with a broker or the mills, who shows them where to cut? Is there another link in the chain that might be harder to replace that law enforcement should focus on?
The Randle Packwood tweakers do their own scouting. Look for hatchet chips taken out of maples. It's super hard to find them. They are in places that aren't all that well traveled or on any radar. Most FS folks have their days filled up with other work. The LEOs, well, most come to the FS by way of the military and they don't have much of a forestry background or knowledge of local conditions. I do know there was a big bust in the Randle area. It was a group of well known characters. The leader managed to evade capture and I don't know if he ever was caught. He flits in and out of different tweaker houses. He's been chased but he can move through the woods easily and there was a tale about a low speed chase on bad roads when he had a load of illegal firewood in a trailer and was weaving it around to dump wood behind him during the chase. He got away that time too.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human末animals and aliens are great possibilities
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSun Jul 11, 2021 3:26 pm 
We we heading up the Hoh to camp at the park when we saw a sign saying camp wood $3 a bundle. We drove up the drive and there it was and bought one. When we got to our camp I looked and it was slabs of birdseye maple. Probably culls but pretty.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSun Jul 11, 2021 5:18 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
We we heading up the Hoh to camp at the park when we saw a sign saying camp wood $3 a bundle. We drove up the drive and there it was and bought one. When we got to our camp I looked and it was slabs of birdseye maple. Probably culls but pretty.
Did you have a permit to haul that maple? 'Sposed to have one for hauling maple and western red cedar, firewood or not.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human末animals and aliens are great possibilities
Ski
><((((ー>

Ski
><((((ー>
PostSun Jul 11, 2021 8:16 pm 
shakehead.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Jul 12, 2021 4:34 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
Did you have a permit to haul that maple? 'Sposed to have one for hauling maple and western red cedar, firewood or not.
Bless your ♥️

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn