Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Crystal Mountain, Alterra, and USFS Leases
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSun Jul 11, 2021 3:05 pm 
I loved the way you could buy points at Bachelor and with that system, there was no pressure to get your money's worth of runs in one day. If the weather turned crappy, you could leave and come back on a nicer day. Oh, each lift had points assigned to it. When you went through the gate, it would take the points off your ticket. It was great and it made sense. Alas, that is no more.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
thunderhead

thunderhead
PostMon Jul 12, 2021 8:10 am 
Redevelop yodelin? Although the road itself is at capacity I think, especially lower down with the lights.

kw

kw
PostMon Jul 12, 2021 7:32 pm 
thunderhead wrote:
Redevelop yodelin? Although the road itself is at capacity I think, especially lower down with the lights.
Yodelin shut down because of all the avalanches, right? I suppose modern avalanche control might mitigate some of the risk but it's not great publicity to say "we're reopening a ski area that shut down because a bunch of people died in avalanches here"!. It's also lower elevation than Stevens, which I think reaches the core of it which is that the effort required to build a new ski area might not be worth it when most of the potential sites in WA will continue to get more rain each winter as the climate changes.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Jul 12, 2021 8:38 pm 
The poma lift at Squilchuck could be resurrected. I do not recall ever seeing it operate. They only ran the rope tows when I skied there in the 1960s.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Jul 12, 2021 9:07 pm 
kw wrote:
Yodelin shut down because of all the avalanches, right?
Because of ONE avalanche. Which didn't affect the ski area itself, but struck a couple of residences and killed 4 people. The real estate development and the ski area were operated by the same company. The county and the state had opposed granting building permits for much of the development based on the analysis of Ed LaChapelle, one of the leading avalanche researchers of the time. The developers sued to obtain building permits for the residences and prevailed in court. https://www.nytimes.com/1971/01/25/archives/four-killed-in-washington-state-as-avalanche-hits-a-ski-resort.html After the avalanche, civil lawsuits against the developers bankrupted the company and the lifts were sold off to partially settle the debt. One lift became the Tye Mill lift at Stevens and the other became Chair 6 at Crystal.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Jul 12, 2021 9:43 pm 
We were going to ski at Yodelin that day. Stevens was closed with the snow followed by rain. We ended up at Ski Acres who had had 6’ of snow followed by 6” of rain. We were stuck at the pass until after midnight due to slides. I remember Yodelins big bonus was you got a free stick of ski wax. So it goes.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Jul 12, 2021 9:52 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
The poma lift at Squilchuck could be resurrected. I do not recall ever seeing it operate. They only ran the rope tows when I skied there in the 1960s.
Misson Ridge's expansion plans actually include some of the acreage used by the old Squilchuck ski bowl. I believe these plans also call for increased water storage so these lower elevation areas can have snow making. The development of the lower area has a chairlift with runs from a large amount of slope side residential development. Personally I think the skiing on these lower runs will be "tolerable" and I expect many people will use these runs only for accessing the lift from their condo and returning to the condo.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Jul 13, 2021 6:34 am 
That expansion is not a done deal by any means. People are starting to realize that the water supply is finite. Then there's the problem of building houses in an area prone to fires, and an area where affordable housing is rare. I get the feeling that not too many local people are favorable to it. Squilchuck and the other tiny hills were affordable places for kids, and some adults, to learn how to ski. Those places are now very rare.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Jul 13, 2021 7:55 am 
treeswarper wrote:
That expansion is not a done deal by any means
Most certainly, It is possible that the ambitious expansion plans are merely a scheme to inflate the "theoretical" value of the existing resort for marketing to another group of investors. This is frequently done by ski resorts.
treeswarper wrote:
Then there's the problem of building houses in an area prone to fires, and an area where affordable housing is rare
The development plans are 100% not about affordable housing, these would mostly be purchased as 2nd (3rd) homes by the well to do.
treeswarper wrote:
Squilchuck and the other tiny hills were affordable places for kids, and some adults, to learn how to ski
Yeah, It's a shame, unfortunately liability insurance costs exploded in the '80s and the economics of small ski hills are really challenging. Two small scale ski hills that are still around are Leavenworth ski hill and Meany Lodge at Stampede Pass. Both depend heavily on volunteers for their operation

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Jul 13, 2021 8:56 am 
Randito wrote:
The development plans are 100% not about affordable housing, these would mostly be purchased as 2nd (3rd) homes by the well to do.
That is what I meant. I am not that stupid. Wenatchee has very expensive real estate and just like in other places people are priced out of the market. The feeling is, why build spendy homes that aren't even going to be year round homes instead of building affordable homes in the valley. Unfortunately, the county people love having part time owners as they don't use as many utilities but pay the full property tax. I grew up there. I could maybe afford a small condo if I chose to live there. Wenatchee is cursed by being a fairly easy drive from the place that must not be mentioned. It already has some spendy abodes that were built on hillsides that burned about every other year in earlier days. Their zoning sucks.

Brian R

Brian R
PostTue Jul 13, 2021 10:42 am 
Randito wrote:
The development plans are 100% not about affordable housing,
Pssssst--It's never about "affordable housing." Anywhere. Ever. This is just a ruse used by a certain political POV to salve the elimination of single-family zoning, increase tax density, all-the-while pocketing money from developers and growing the tax rolls. It's always about the money; never about affordability. See Kelo vs New London for origin history. Wenatchee. CleElum. Roslyn. Leavenworth. Winthrop/Mazama. Chelan. These have all become little more than $eattle suburbs.

zimmertr
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Jul 13, 2021 12:59 pm 
just a note in response to Brian R's last comment above: A very good friend of mine has operated a local U-Haul dealership for about 30 years. Number ONE destination for one-way rentals this month? sitting down? Aberdeen, Washington. They're doing the "work from home" thing on their laptops, or commuting. You heard it here first.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Jul 13, 2021 1:17 pm 

Cyclopath, kw  zimmertr  Anne Elk
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Jul 13, 2021 1:24 pm 
Ski wrote:
just a note in response to Brian R's last comment above: A very good friend of mine has operated a local U-Haul dealership for about 30 years. Number ONE destination for one-way rentals this month? sitting down? Aberdeen, Washington. They're doing the "work from home" thing on their laptops, or commuting. You heard it here first.
I believe it. I thought about relocating there because the housing was downright cheap. Now I look at it and the prices have shot up. My house here in Omak has supposedly increased in value by $100K in the last year! I keep tabs in the Lake Superior area for just in case I cannot take the smoke and heat anymore. I see their prices are going up and houses selling quickly as well. Businesses need to make their people go back to work in offices!! However, there seems to be a pretty steady stream of low income targeted apartments being built here. That is not the case in Wenatchee.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Jul 13, 2021 1:32 pm 
nothin' to do with politics, Tom. just demographics.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."