Forum Index > Support & Feedback > sending a photo from my phone to email.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Jul 15, 2021 12:20 pm 
Im trying to send a picture I took on my phone to my email account so I can upload it to flckr and then post it here. I cant get either yahoo or gmail to accept the photo. Ive treid many times to atatch it to an email and send it but it never arrives. any thoughts?

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Jul 15, 2021 12:39 pm 
What kind of phone ? Can you install the Flckr app on the phone and skip the email step?

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Jul 15, 2021 12:59 pm 
Its an iphone 12 pro. I never had this problem befoer. No matter how many times i try it doesnt show up in either mail app.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Jul 15, 2021 1:05 pm 
You no longer need to use flickr or another host to post pictures here. Just click on the paperclip icon on the posting screen to upload them directly from your phone.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Jul 15, 2021 1:18 pm 
Tom wrote:
You no longer need to use flickr or another host to post pictures here. Just click on the paperclip icon on the posting screen to upload them directly from your phone.
Directly from my phone"? I have to get the pic on my computer first. Thats why im trying to email it to myself. I need the picture on my computer.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Jul 15, 2021 1:21 pm 
Just post it in a reply using your phone. Then you can edit the post on your computer and put it wherever you want.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Jul 15, 2021 1:48 pm 
Another option is to use Google Photos to automatically sync photos on your phone to the cloud so you can access them from any device. Free storage limit is 15GB, but with my Pixel 3 phone I get free lifetime storage (with some caveats). As Randy noted, flickr offers something similar for pro accounts: https://help.flickr.com/about-the-auto-uploadr-in-the-flickr-app-HkFc2moyQ I'd also think there would be some option on your iPhone where when you connect it to your computer it lets you transfer photos directly. I know that's the case for Android.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Jul 15, 2021 2:06 pm 
I recently got my wife an iPhone 12 Pro -- she has Google Photos installed as well and is configured to automatically upload new photos to the "cloud" -- the photos simply appear in the https://photos.google.com/ browser page on her PC a little while after the iPhone reconnects to WiFi -- Download them to the PC from there and then they can be posted to NWHikers by clicking on the "paperclip" icon in the "post" UI. If you don't want to dive into the whole Google Photos realm -- Apple's Photo product will let you access cloud stored photos from a PC https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205323

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Jul 15, 2021 2:25 pm 
Thanks guys, but I can barely use my pone as it is. and that using a magnifying glass. Im trying to keep things a simple as possible so I can do it.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Jul 15, 2021 2:36 pm 
OK, but if you are able to attach a picture to an email with your phone you should be able to attach it in a reply here. Not sure why it would be any harder than email unless you can't see the icons. Give the paperclip icon a try.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Jul 15, 2021 2:43 pm 
This is what you should see in mobile view:
Select this or another topic
Select this or another topic
Click to reply to topic
Click to reply to topic
Click on paperclip icon, select image, wait for upload to complete, then hit submit
Click on paperclip icon, select image, wait for upload to complete, then hit submit

Jaberwock

Jaberwock
PostThu Jul 15, 2021 6:11 pm 
What kind of computer? If a Mac you can airdrop photos from your phone directly to your computer desktop. Or turn on iCloud photos and they'll just show up in the photos app on the computer as you take them with your phone.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Jul 15, 2021 7:15 pm 
Thanks its a PC I just dont understand why I cant do it any longer. It was never a problem before to add the photo to an email and send it.

yukon222

yukon222
PostThu Jul 15, 2021 7:33 pm 
If you are using Gmail, on your phone go to Settings, Gmail, and then where it lists Photos, choose All Photos. Hopefully that willl allow the Gmail app to access your camera photos so you can attach them.

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostFri Jul 16, 2021 5:48 am 
Hi Tom - I bought an iPhone 12 Pro Max for my trip, and have experienced this. The reason you can't attach pix directly to your emails is that the default format the camera uses (HE) is too large. GMail won't accept files larger than 5MG. Go into "settings" and from there select "Camera" and "Formats". Under Formats select "Most Compatible" and the photos you take will be small enough to email. To use the camera's highest quality formats (HE and Apple ProRAW) and get them into my computer I must transfer them to some cloud repository first (my Windows based old laptop can't "see" the iPhone when cabled up). I intend to use Google Drive, but have discovered that on an iPhone, you can't just sign into Google, and use Google Drive. Oh, noooooo ... you have to download a free "app" for that. Apple really wants you in their universe.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood

kite