Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Crystal Mountain, Alterra, and USFS Leases
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Jul 13, 2021 1:42 pm 
Sure it is. Just and excuse for some people to bring their politics here.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Dick B

Dick B
PostTue Jul 13, 2021 1:47 pm 
Referring to Seattle suburbs. I felt that way about South Whidbey when I grew up there in the 40s and 50s. The city folks could afford beachfront property while the locals were trying to eek out a living on our little stump ranches. Their only convenience was having to wait in the ferry lines coming and going.

Brian R

Brian R
PostTue Jul 13, 2021 2:32 pm 
Tom wrote:
Sure it is. Just and excuse for some people to bring their politics here.
Tom, if only you were known for calling out "politics" and posts you align with. You don't, I suppose, because you swim in a certain pool. I can point out dozens of posts--and even avatars--dripping with your brand that you don't call out for whatever reason. Not too deep a criticism here; you are better than most.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Jul 13, 2021 2:49 pm 
wave.gif Anyone else?

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Jul 14, 2021 5:43 am 
The hills around Wenatchee that used to frequently burn, are burning again but now there are houses in the way. So it goes. I think that area burned a few years ago. Imagine the dollars to be spent should Mission Ridge get its way. Maybe insurance would be impossible to get for any McMansion built in that drainage?

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
kw

kw
PostWed Jul 14, 2021 6:32 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
Imagine the dollars to be spent should Mission Ridge get its way. Maybe insurance would be impossible to get for any McMansion built in that drainage?
Mission's expansion plan seems to be going more for the Sun Peaks or Big Sky strategy of making money off real estate than the strategy of attracting more day trippers or tourists. Whether that works out for them or will ever really happen is I suppose up for discussion, but their current plans won't really increase ski area capacity in the Seattle area because even forgetting how long of a drive they are from the city, the only terrain they'd add is low-elevation beginner/intermediate trails that ultimately as others have said wouldn't really be that great to ski more than a month or two a year. It's a smart business strategy though and I can respect that if they use the money to improve the mountain up the hill. Old riblets from the 50s and 60s will only last so long.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Jul 14, 2021 9:54 pm 
kw wrote:
Old riblets from the 50s and 60s will only last so long.
It not so much that Riblets are wearing out, it's whether skiers that have tasted a detached quad are willing to fork over the dough to ride a slow lift. Mission has already addressed that issue with their main chair, 1st replacing the Riblet with a old used detached quad and now with a brand new lift. The old main Riblet was a very long and often cold ride, especially the last couple hundred feet where the wind could really blow through you. Chairs 3 and 4 having an old double is less of an issue. Lift lines aren't really an issue at Mission. I suppose the developers are hoping for longer lift lines though.

trestle

trestle
PostThu Jul 15, 2021 12:48 pm 
Riblets are incredibly simple to maintain and have relatively few parts.

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
kw

kw
PostThu Jul 15, 2021 3:44 pm 
Randito wrote:
Mission has already addressed that issue with their main chair, 1st replacing the Riblet with a old used detached quad and now with a brand new lift.
Believe it or not the replacement for the main lift they did this year/last year was actually also a used lift, they moved it all the way from Europe. The lift they bought was already very old so I assume it has a lot of new replacement parts, but they’re really dedicated to spending as little as possible replacing that thing.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Jul 15, 2021 4:52 pm 
kw wrote:
Randito wrote:
Mission has already addressed that issue with their main chair, 1st replacing the Riblet with a old used detached quad and now with a brand new lift.
Believe it or not the replacement for the main lift they did this year/last year was actually also a used lift, they moved it all the way from Europe. The lift they bought was already very old so I assume it has a lot of new replacement parts, but they’re really dedicated to spending as little as possible replacing that thing.
Thanks, I didn't know that the updated chair 2 was also recycled. I know the first update to a quad was with a quad from Winter Park CO. Which as I understand it was one of the 1st detached quads installed in North America. The updated chair 2 features bubbles and on the summit the chairs go into a building for unloading, similar to the Palmer on Hood and the Summit chair on Mt Batchelor. These will be significant improvements in guest comfort and I expect will also reduce the amount of time chair 2 is on "Wind Hold" Do you happen to know where the updated chair 2 was recycled from?

kw

kw
PostThu Jul 15, 2021 7:09 pm 
Randito wrote:
Do you happen to know where the updated chair 2 was recycled from?
I believe it was a lift called Zinsbergbahn in Brixen, Austria. Its European origins also explain the weirdly shaped towers and metal rounded stations. It's a very odd lift compared to the kind of lifts you'd see at Crystal, Stevens, or Snoqualmie, but it's certainly functional and having the bubbles will be nice. I believe there's also a shed at the bottom for chair storage, which should hopefully keep the lift in good shape for as long as it can last.

thunderhead

thunderhead
PostFri Jul 16, 2021 4:59 am 
Randito wrote:
and the other became Chair 6 at Crystal.
The same one that was destined to be destroyed by an avalanche? Ironic... if so.

kw

kw
PostWed Sep 29, 2021 7:51 pm 
Crystal has now announced that they will be implementing paid parking on Fridays and weekends this winter. Parking will be free for all season pass holders (incl. Ikon) and anyone carpooling with 4+ people, however people backcountry skiing, snowshoeing, etc, will *not* be exempt. They seem to be saying all of the money from the program will go towards operating a new free bus shuttle from Enumclaw on weekends. Hopefully there's a decently sized parking lot they can use there since there aren't really transit connections to Enumclaw. More details: https://www.crystalmountainresort.com/media/news/parking-announcement

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Sep 29, 2021 9:34 pm 
kw wrote:
They seem to be saying all of the money from the program will go towards operating a new free bus shuttle from Enumclaw on weekends
The announcement says the shuttle will run on "peak days" , whatever that means. Absent in the announcement was any mention of rates -- If the rate is $5 / day. No BFD if its $50 it is a BFD. I suspect they are hoping that this announcement at this time with the rate unspecified will drive additional season pass sales. Nothing creates anxiety more than uncertainty.

altasnob

altasnob
PostThu Sep 30, 2021 9:17 am 
As a lease holder with non exclusive use, Crystal can charge non-paying customers a reasonable fee to cover the cost of plowing the lot and boulevard and maintenance. But I don't think Crystal can legally charge a fee that effectively restricts access to paying customers. So I don't think Crystal can legally charge something exorbitant like $50 a day for parking for backcountry skiers and snowshoers.