Forum Index > Gear Talk > Best 2-3 person shelter using trekking poles
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Worthington

Worthington
PostMon Jul 12, 2021 7:49 pm 
What's everyone's best shelter for staying out of the bugs and maybe a surprise rainstorm? The original BD megamid and Betamid designs didn't really reach the ground, so mosquitos and flies would still harass you. The MSR and Hyperlite ($$$) versions seem ok. Ultimately I'm looking for your thoughts on a 3 person (or spacious for 2) shelter for summer cascades use. Thanks

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostTue Jul 13, 2021 5:59 pm 
Worthington wrote:
What's everyone's best shelter for staying out of the bugs and maybe a surprise rainstorm?
Best is relative. A $200 half-dome 2+ is bug proof and storm worthy, but is not a lightweight. A Zpack or other Dyneema tent is bug proof and very storm resistant. They are very light weight, but will lighten your wallet significantly as well. Silnylon Shelters are a comprise between these extremes. Not my choice for a huge storm, but nice lightweight option. Tarp-tent has several larger capacity options.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
Jaberwock

Jaberwock
PostTue Jul 13, 2021 6:05 pm 
The new BD mids have perimeter netting

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Jul 13, 2021 6:24 pm 
"Best" is a problematic term , there are plenty of pros and cons of various shelters. Dyneema fabrics are very light and strong, but also very expensive. Silnylon fabrics are heavier, but also strong and water proof. Coated nylon works well too and the least expensive. Simple tarps versatile, light and inexpensive, but offers no bug protection and requires skill in pitching. Tarp/tents offer better weather protection and require less engineering skill to setup. Some of the recent ones with mesh stitched along bottom off bug protection and ventilation. I find the Black Diamond BetaLight to be very weather proof, but as one reviewer noted the position of the trekking poles in the center interferes with couples cuddling. There are other tent configurations that allow cuddling and provide doors on both sides so you can pee in the middle of the night without waking your partner, but these are generally more expensive and less storm resistant than the betalight.

Worthington

Worthington
PostTue Jul 13, 2021 10:05 pm 
I should have been more specific. I'm looking for ultralight and bug protection, with durability, stormproof(ness), and cost as the least important. Thanks for the suggestions! Keep em coming.

Schroder

Schroder
PostWed Jul 14, 2021 4:13 pm 
I love my StratoSpire 2
3 people wouldn't fit though with the inner tent

RumiDude
Franco

Franco
PostThu Jul 15, 2021 2:29 am 
You can fit 3 20" mats inside the inner but I would not reccomend that if that is what one wants to do more than just a few times.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Jul 15, 2021 7:59 am 
A black diamond mega light with a band of netting DIY stitched around the perimeter would roomy for three. The kit includes device for combining two trekking poles into a tall center pole. No floor. If you get the mega bug inner tent, you get a floor and mosquito netting all around. However the mega bug inner tent weighs more and packs up bigger than the mega light itself.

Bowregard

Bowregard
PostThu Jul 15, 2021 8:41 am 
My daughter loves her BD Beta Light. It is roomy for two, light weight, and compact. Her only issue is bugs (and the BD option is really heavy) so netting at the bottom would make it perfect. The new version of this tent is sil-poly and has bug-netting sewn to the bottom already so needs no seam-sealing and 1lb 7 oz. I have seen it twice now at Campsaver for $202 but I have not checked that the dimensions are still as roomy as the older one.

pula58

pula58
PostFri Jul 16, 2021 2:26 pm 
Another vote for Tarptent Stratospire 2! :-) Spacious for two people.

graywolf

graywolf
PostSat Jul 17, 2021 2:57 pm 
Worthington wrote:
The original BD megamid and Betamid designs didn't really reach the ground, so mosquitos and flies would still harass you.
I owned the original Chouinard Pyramid (smaller than the Megamid), then the BD Megamid (gave it to my older daughter), and still have a BD Mega Light. Rarely had a problem with mosquitoes with any of them. Flies, the occasional yellow jacket and crawling bugs, but not mosquitoes. Looked to me like the mosquitoes were attracted to the C02 plume (and possibly heat) coming out of the vent at the apex, but rarely ventured closer to ground level. Anyways, my current tent is the Zpacks Duplex and man do I love it. Dyneema fabric which is waterproof, doesn't stretch when exposed to moisture (whether from the inside or outside). full mosquito netting, dual entry with vestibules. I bought the carbon fiber poles for it, so I could use my trekking poles when we go out for a day hike from our camp. Fits my wife and me very comfortably, and the packs & shoes go in the vestibules. With poles & stakes it weighs about 1.5 lbs. ETA: Reread your original post, and my tent would fit 3 only in an emergency - and you better be comfortable snuggling with your tentmates.

The only easy day was yesterday...
rossb

rossb
PostSun Jul 18, 2021 9:16 am 
Yeah, I would probably go with the StratoSpire. Tarptent makes high quality tents and I don't think anyone else has as many options or is as innovative when it comes to making a big tent. There are a lot of great ultralight tent makers out there, but they tend to focus on the one person shelter, or a big mid (with a pole in the middle). The latter could work for you, but personally, I would rather have the StratoSpire (assuming it is big enough for you). The StratoSpire Li is super lightweight (and pricey) but out of stock right now.

JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostSun Jul 18, 2021 10:52 am 
The SS Li is also slightly smaller than the sil nylon SS

Worthington

Worthington
PostSun Jul 18, 2021 9:51 pm 
Franco, is that a StratoSpire2? Anyone know what tent Franco is showing off there?

Worthington

Worthington
PostSun Jul 18, 2021 10:01 pm 
There seems to be widespread support for the StratoSpire2, but has anyone tried TarpTent's Rainshadow 3? I came across it and it's 18" wider (same length), $30 less, needs only 1 trekking pole to set up, and only weighs 2 more ounces (47 vs 45).