Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Where did you retire to and do you like it?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostMon May 24, 2021 1:24 pm 
coldrain108 wrote:
We just have a cat.
"just" a cat. shakehead.gif A home without a cat -- and a well-fed, well-petted and properly revered cat -- may be a perfect home, perhaps, but how can it prove title? - Pudd'nhead Wilson

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostMon May 24, 2021 4:40 pm 
Kim Brown wrote:
coldrain108 wrote:
We just have a cat.
"just" a cat. shakehead.gif A home without a cat -- and a well-fed, well-petted and properly revered cat -- may be a perfect home, perhaps, but how can it prove title? - Pudd'nhead Wilson
not "just' a cat...only a cat...wait that's still not right...alright we are graced by the presence of a cat.
BTW that is a dog bed - The beast is HUGE!

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.

Chief Joseph
CC
cascade curmudgeon

CC
cascade curmudgeon
PostThu May 27, 2021 11:59 am 
altasnob wrote:
I have heard winter inversion is bad in Wenatchee as well.
Yes, much of eastern WA l has a problem with inversions in winter https://cliffmass.blogspot.com/2013/01/the-ddwinter-murk-of-eastern-washington.html . This is exacerbated by the fact that wood-burning is widespread (despite the fact that we have the cheapest electricity in the country), while adherence to burn bans is not.

First your legs go, then you lose your reflexes, then you lose your friends. Willy Pep
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostThu May 27, 2021 12:20 pm 
coldrain108 wrote:
not "just' a cat...only a cat...wait that's still not right...alright we are graced by the presence of a cat.
Much better. Though....that might be a fur-covered walrus, not a cat

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
feta cheese

feta cheese
PostMon May 31, 2021 8:39 am 
Bunch of log truck driving wackos in Yacolt

dixon

dixon
PostFri Jul 16, 2021 6:04 pm 
neek wrote:
Seattle houses are regularly being bid up $300K. I was just looking at something modest in Shoreline that listed for $1M and sold for $1.5M. Doubt the same is happening in North Bend
It's definitely happening in North Bend. Check redfin sold homes for the past 3 mons. E.g. 906 NE 4th listed 1.1M sold for 1.41M. The worst part is a lot of these newer John Day homes are poorly built cookie cutter homes with tiny yard, zero lot line etc. Toll Bros aren't much better, they're asking 1.6M for the same 3 bed home that was 720k this time last year.

Pyrites

Pyrites
PostSun Sep 26, 2021 12:47 am 
Randito wrote:
altasnob wrote:
Nelson's leftist roots date back to draft dodgers during the Vietnam War.
Even farther back than that -- one of the reasons that the Nelson area welcomed Vietnam era draft dodgers was that the area has a siginficant russian emmigrant that had migrated to the area early in the 20th century to avoid goverment (russian and canadian) oppression. These russian emmigrants also had practices of drinking hemp tea. So hippy peaceniks from the usa found Nelson to have "good vibes". This was related to me by someone I hired to shuttle my car around Slocan Lake in preparation for an end to end canoe trip.
While we’re at it, an area map of Slocan: https://cab12c9e-2225-453e-8f64-3709cae3803a.filesusr.com/ugd/98d6a2_f66cb7c4455a44519d472fafdabb501c.pdf

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Sep 27, 2021 11:06 am 
I just returned from a trip to Lake Superior. I wanted to check it out as I am tired of smoky summers. I'm happy with what I saw. The town has really spruced up since I last was there. Locals are complaining about housing costs going up. If prices don't increase more, it is a quite reasonable place, but with ticks. .I hate ticks There was also a tornado warning while I was camped and had to make a run for the restroom to shelter in. No tornado, but very nasty winds and a downpour with a lot of lightning. I have all winter to ponder such a move.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostMon Sep 27, 2021 11:09 am 
I grew up in Northern Michigan and had grandparents in the central UP. Definitely saw some ticks near Iron Mountain wink.gif Did you have a chance to drive across the Mackinac Bridge? It's a nice enough place. No Thai restaurants for hundreds of miles though.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostMon Sep 27, 2021 11:22 am 
zimmertr wrote:
No Thai restaurants for hundreds of miles though
But there are pasty-pies. hungry.gif

zimmertr
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Sep 28, 2021 5:18 am 
zimmertr wrote:
I grew up in Northern Michigan and had grandparents in the central UP. Definitely saw some ticks near Iron Mountain wink.gif Did you have a chance to drive across the Mackinac Bridge? It's a nice enough place. No Thai restaurants for hundreds of miles though.
Nope. I went to check out the Wisconsin part of the UP. I lived there a couple of years 16 years ago and liked it but i HATED THE TICKS. I'd be driving back from the woods and feel them on my neck. If I had to walk through tall grass, the ticks would be all over my pants legs and I'd find more when I got home. Lyme disease is a reality. I think ticks might be why there are huge, mowed lawns all over the place. There was a hot, muggy couple of weeks in the summer, but that can be survived by a soak in a Great Lake. That's what I did. Winter was great. The tourists were gone, there was a X country ski area nearby, and even a little downhill area. I did miss seeing mountains, but what with the summer smoke here in Warshington, we don't see even the hills across the valley. "The Meth" appears to have arrived. It wasn't a problem when I lived there before, but the local population had voted to build a large jail/drug treatment facility because they expected it to arrive. I was amazed that they were thinking ahead. A grizzled, Finlander logger told me "We got to treat them while they are in jail or it does no good." That was in 2005. On my recent trip, I still saw groups of grade school aged kids, riding bicycles around town, no adult supervision, and ....no helmets eek.gif I consider that a good thing. More importantly, even in Covid times, the bike shop has group rides every week. My Omak bicycling friend died so I must brave the diesel pickup boys on my own. It kind of wrecks the fun.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities