Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Cady Creek Trail
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
pula58

pula58
PostMon Jul 19, 2021 2:06 pm 
My wife and I were on this trail this past weekend. Compared to the Cady ridge trail it seems older, more rutted, more brushy (needs maintenance)...and I was wondering if the existence of this trail pre-dates the Cady ridge trail and perhaps fell into neglect when the Cady Ridge trail was created? I got the sense that this trail was an older way to get to the PCT (via Cady Pass).

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Jake

Jake
PostTue Jul 20, 2021 5:50 am 
Native Americans used that trail long before the white man came here.

pula58

pula58
PostTue Jul 20, 2021 10:03 am 
Hi Jake, Hm... Is that a documented fact or well-reasoned conjecture? I 'm aware that the NW natives had extensive trails and trade routes...

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue Jul 20, 2021 10:15 am 
I don't know the answer, but I do know sheep were grazed in the high meadows above tree line as recently as the 1960's (and I think into the 80's [at least over in Foam Basin]). I wonder if it was first a sheep driveway.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Jake

Jake
PostTue Jul 20, 2021 10:16 am 
I believe you'll find that either in Whitfield's 1926, "History of Snohomish County" or in the 1906 "Illustrated History of Snohomish and Skagit Counties". Not sure which, but I believe it's in the 1926 book. It speaks of people from the City of Snohomish looking for a route over the Cascades before the Stevens Pass route was located. It said something to the fact that it was an old trade route used by Native Americans who would trade with tribes on the east side.

pula58

pula58
PostTue Jul 20, 2021 10:21 am 
Thanks for the info Jake!

Jake

Jake
PostTue Jul 20, 2021 10:26 am 
You bet Pula. If you really need it, I have it here, but it's up in my office. I can look it up later for you, or you can find those volumes at the Everett Library if you're in that area.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue Jul 20, 2021 11:04 am 
Jake wrote:
It said something to the fact that it was an old trade route used by Native Americans who would trade with tribes on the east side.
Cady Creek trail in particular, or routes in general? I suppose they had to get up and over somehow; Cady Creek goes up quickly; as does Li'l Wenatchee. The now-named Sauk-Suiattle tribe families inter-married with tribes from the east and travel back and forth was done routinely, not only familial, but berries and other food and trade, as you say. I would like to see that wonderful book too!

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert

Jimbo
Jake

Jake
PostTue Jul 20, 2021 11:10 am 
Those books would be in most libraries in Snohomish County, but in the reference section only. Not for check out. However, I've noticed both listed on abebooks.com from time to time for sale. The 1906 publication is also re-printed as "on Demand" for anywhere from $35 up to ???

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue Jul 20, 2021 12:19 pm 
Sounds like there's a pdf of it that someone will print.

Jake

Jake
PostTue Jul 20, 2021 12:28 pm 
Quite possible Kim. Those books are priceless for Snohomish County history.

Schroder

Schroder
PostTue Jul 20, 2021 1:10 pm 
It's shown in this 1885-1915 survey & nothing on Cady Ridge
That trail was in pretty good shape up until the Index-Galena road washed out. In the 90's I helped on a Boy Scout project replacing some of the bridges. I've long wondered why the railroad chose Stevens Pass over this route.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue Jul 20, 2021 2:36 pm 
Schroder wrote:
I've long wondered why the railroad chose Stevens Pass over this route.
Looks like a straight shot until it gets to Troublesome Mtn. Then the train would have to make a sharp turn. Maybe that's why it's called Troublesome Mtn. (I'm just making stuff up; I have no idea what goes into selecting a route). Thanks for the map, Randy; Now I know why I get tingly when on Pass Creek; it's an old route!

pula58

pula58
PostTue Jul 20, 2021 2:37 pm 
Schroder wrote:
It's shown in this 1885-1915 survey & nothing on Cady Ridge
That trail was in pretty good shape up until the Index-Galena road washed out. In the 90's I helped on a Boy Scout project replacing some of the bridges. I've long wondered why the railroad chose Stevens Pass over this route.
Ah, so the ridge trail is newer, like I thought it might be. The creek trail is quite brushy. This Sunday (6/17/2021) there were a few places where there was no way to avoid the Devils club. Ouch!

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue Jul 20, 2021 4:39 pm 
pula58 wrote:
there were a few places where there was no way to avoid the Devils club. Ouch!
Perhaps that is why the Cady Ridge trail was built and the creek trail not well-used. clown.gif