Forum Index > Gear Talk > Hey bike people (e or traditional)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Jul 23, 2021 8:17 pm 
It's getting hard to find 11 speed chains in stock in a lot of places. I've heard inner tubes have doubled in price since the spring or last fall and are expected to again soon. Not inflation, supply chain issues involving rubber, combined with high demand. Sapim spokes are really hard to get. If you're going to need any consumables in the near future, try to get them ahead of time so you don't have to stop riding.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Jul 23, 2021 8:38 pm 
Hmm, maybe I better order some tires. I really like the Schwalbe marathons that came with the bike so will try to get t those.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Jul 23, 2021 8:45 pm 
Are you using a LBS or Amazon? There seem to be numerous 11 speed chains available by suborbital delivery

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSat Jul 24, 2021 10:40 am 
Randito wrote:
Are you using a LBS or Amazon? There seem to be numerous 11 speed chains available by suborbital delivery
Click on many of those links and a lot say either "available soon" or "only x left", with x as a small number. eek.gif Chains (11s) are maybe a special case because there was an announcement on slow twitch that caused a run recently. Mostly I'm not sharing my own observations, it's stuff I've been hearing a lot recently from higher mileage riders than me and trim different shops and industry folks online.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Jul 24, 2021 11:00 am 
Cyclopath wrote:
Randito wrote:
Click on many of those links and a lot say either "available soon" or "only x left", with x as a small number. eek.gif Chains (11s) are maybe a special case because there was an announcement on slow twitch that caused a run recently. Mostly I'm not sharing my own observations, it's stuff I've been hearing a lot recently from higher mileage riders than me and trim different shops and industry folks online.
H'mmm
Amazon wrote:
Delivery date: July 26, 2021 If you order in the next 13 hours and 3 minutes (Details) Items shipped from Amazon.com SHIMANO 105 CN HG-601 Chain $46.26 & FREE Returns Qty: 1 Qty: 1 Sold by:AkanaPP Japan Choose your Prime delivery option: Monday, July 26 FREE Prime Delivery Compatible with 11-speed drivetrains Asymmetric plate design for improved shifting performance SIL-TEC treatment improves wear life and improves performance 116 links 260g

schifferj

schifferj
PostSun Jul 25, 2021 10:43 am 
I had no problem getting a Shimano 11 speed ultegra chain in Spokane at LBS. I do use Continental Grand Prix 5000 tires and those were on backorder everywhere from March till August in the size I use. Finally, in a nick of time, two of them showed up on the doorstep. So I quickly ordered two more which arrived in a couple days. Now I'm on the prowl for brake pads.

FiveNines

FiveNines
PostSun Jul 25, 2021 10:54 am 
A bike friend of mine mentioned last September that he was having difficulties filling orders for his business through QBP wholesale catalog. But that was almost a year ago and I'm not sure if it's still a problem? I stocked up on 8spd cassettes and chains about 5 years ago, and feel like I have a lifetime supply. I'd like another 1/1-8" straight steer tube fork though and am also scared of running out of ability to purchase 26" tires.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSun Jul 25, 2021 11:11 am 
Randito wrote:
H'mmm
I'll need a chain soon. Share that link? smile.gif

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSun Jul 25, 2021 12:21 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
Randito wrote:
H'mmm
I'll need a chain soon. Share that link? smile.gif
I just typed 11 speed chain into the Amazon search box. Several examples appeared. I didn't even filter on "All Prime" the Shimano chain came up as "Amazon's Choice" there was some off brand chain for $17 as well, but I wasn't going to suggest that. SHIMANO 11s HG601 Chain 2016 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017SOKT7O

Cyclopath
trestle

trestle
PostMon Jul 26, 2021 7:15 pm 
There's been a lot of conversation about this issue on the various bike forums and FB groups. Cassettes and chains seem to be the items most in demand, and many credit 1x drivetrains for the amount of wear occurring to same. Shimano did have to shut down for awhile in June: https://road.cc/content/news/more-supply-chain-issues-loom-shimano-factory-shut-down-284091 But they seem to have growth and production in mind: https://www.bicycleretailer.com/international/2021/07/11/report-shimano-invest-179-million-singapore-factory

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
kvpair

kvpair
PostMon Aug 30, 2021 1:37 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
I really like the Schwalbe marathons that came with the bike so will try to get t those.
What! Another Schwalbe Marathon Plus fancier? I've been using them exclusively for the last 15 years. On a bet, I once put 10K miles on a pair without flats. They ride like Panzer treads but are unflattable. I usually buy 4-6 sets when they go on sale.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Apr 21, 2022 11:59 pm 
Finally ordered an 80cc 2 stroke bike engine kit, installing it onto my old mountain Trek bike. Not too hard to install, have to bend the pipe and cut the chain, but the rest pretty easy. Not exceptional quality but for about $100, it’s worth a shot. Should be interesting to see how much trouble I can get into with it.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostFri Apr 22, 2022 5:43 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
Finally ordered an 80cc 2 stroke bike engine kit,
50cc is the limit for not needing a motorcycle endorsement in Washington.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Apr 22, 2022 7:04 pm 
Good to know. It doesn't have the CC size on the engine, so not really worried about it. I guess it is capable of 45-50 mph. Mainly going to use it on on the MLH, so probably won't be an issue, although I do have an endorsement, but my Son doesn't. It's kinda of cool looking, reminds me of the original Indian motorcycles that looked like bicycles with engines.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.

zimmertr
InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostFri Apr 22, 2022 8:46 pm 
45-50mph with rim brakes should be loads of fun.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau

zimmertr  Cyclopath