Forum Index > Gear Talk > Electric Bikes
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
DadFly

DadFly
PostTue Jul 27, 2021 9:11 pm 
I have an old e-moto bike with a 26 amp battery that is dead. Does anyone know if or where I can get a 26 amp battery?

"May you live in interesting times"
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostWed Sep 01, 2021 5:11 pm 
So finally have the extra money to purchase an e-bike. Looking for something $2500 or less. I will use it as a utility/commuter sort of bike to run errands and such, as I am legally blind and don't drive a vehicle now. But I would also like to be able to put it on a bus rack to go elsewhere with it. Previously I had really wanted to get the RadCity bike at $1599 but am considering other options. Having a rack and fenders as standard is great. Hydrolic brakes would be a bonus. I would like a mid-drive but realize that would likely be out of my price range. Of course reliability is a priority. Any suggestions are appreciated. Rumi~the rad~Dude

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Sep 01, 2021 5:49 pm 
I'm impressed with the entry level price point that Ravi Kempaiah (zen ebikes) is targeting. Not available yet but you might want to reach out to him and see where they are. https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/zen-shakti-1990.39872/ https://electricbikereview.com/forums/forum/zen/

RumiDude
Leafguy

Leafguy
PostThu Sep 02, 2021 5:03 pm 
Ordered a couple Radminis for the wife and I. They are currently $1299. Decent bikes. My very tall, almost 7’ nephew, rode one around at college in ND snow or shine with no problems last year and this spring. The handlebars go up to 48”. If you have a neck full of hardware like me that really helps. Might even take it up some of the bike trails in the Chelan Sawtooths.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Sep 17, 2021 3:32 pm 
Rumi, if you're looking for a mid-drive that won't break the bank you could consider one of REI's offerings. Overall they are a pretty good value considering the 10% rebate and dealership network. Not that I would invest in an e-bike at the end of summer going into winter. https://electrek.co/2021/07/21/rei-cty-review-a-sleek-commuter-from-an-outdoors-company/

neek

neek
PostFri Sep 17, 2021 4:09 pm 
Also note the potential 15% tax credit in the works.

RumiDude
schifferj

schifferj
PostSat Sep 18, 2021 1:13 pm 
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSat Sep 18, 2021 4:01 pm 
As a winter project, I plan to purchase a gas motor kit for my Trek mountain bike. The kit is about $120 for the 50cc and $180 for the 80cc. Talked to a guy who had one in Granite Falls and he said it wasn't extremely difficult to install. He also claimed that he could go to Everett and back on one tank of fuel. Eventually I will probably get an E-bike, if I can ever get past the sticker shock.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Sep 18, 2021 4:50 pm 
Hulksmash did something similar a while back. Not sure how much fun it is to ride unless you don't mind the fumes and noise. You might also want to check the legal requirements.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Sep 18, 2021 5:59 pm 
FWIW: "motor driven scooters" have several sections of Washington state law. https://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=46.04.332 https://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=46.61.710 It's my understanding that 50cc engines don't exceed the 5 horsepower limit, but that 80cc engines might. I used to have a moped(back during the 70s gas crisis) and my son used a 50cc scooter for a while. The wheels and brakes on those machines are far sturdier than usual bicycle wheels and brakes, so I wonder how quickly bicycle wheels will stay true and how quickly brakes will wear when the bike is driven by a 5 hp engine instead of granola.

Chief Joseph
Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostWed Sep 22, 2021 3:15 pm 
Specialized is releasing new versions of the Turbo Vado and Como, and a new hard-tail mountain bike. Looks pretty interesting. It's limited to 20 mph so it's a Class-1 electric. Rear racks can support up to 60 lbs too. https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/specialized-launches-three-new-electric-bikes/ I'm over 3500 miles on my 2019 Turbo Vado and aside from some occasional problems caused by the battery getting loose I'm still very happy with it.

RumiDude
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Sep 30, 2021 8:56 am 
Did not get to ride enough this summer due to smoke and heat days. No problems except those caused by a bike shop when they did a tune up. The Winthrop bike shop fixed it back like it was before the other one worked on it. They'll get my business from now on. I have ten miles to go and will hit 3000 miles on my Gazelle.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Sep 30, 2021 11:31 am 
neek

neek
PostFri Nov 19, 2021 1:38 pm 
neek wrote:
Also note the potential 15% tax credit in the works.
Back to potentially 30% I guess? For the next 4 years, bikes under $5K. We'll see how far this version gets.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Nov 19, 2021 2:08 pm 
From what I've read the tax credit is capped at $750, so the 30% would only apply to ebikes priced $2500 or less. https://www.bicycleretailer.com/industry-news/2021/11/19/house-approves-build-back-better-act-now-goes-senate
Quote:
The tax credit can be applied to the purchase of a new e-bike (the first $5,000) up to $750 benefit value. It allows taxpayers to claim credit for one e-bike per taxable year — two for joint filers — beginning in 2022. The credit would phase out starting at $75,000 of modified adjusted gross income ($112,500 for heads of household and $150,000 for married filing jointly) at a rate of $200 per $1,000 of additional income.
It seems odd that the income limit for cars is much higher. What are they trying to incentivize? People that make more money should drive EVs instead of ebikes to work?

Chief Joseph