Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Striped Peak Bunkers (Olympic Peninsula)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
OlympicExplorer

OlympicExplorer
PostWed Jul 28, 2021 8:28 pm 
Hello! I was wondering if anyone has visited or knows of the hidden bunkers located on Striped Peak (Clallam County). Striped Peak was a strategic location for the military along the Strait of Juan De Fuca. The modern day Salt Creek Park was once Camp Hayden. I am aware of the obvious bunkers/gun emplacements that are on display in the park. I found an old map of Camp Hayden posted online showing many batteries located around the area. The map shows several building sites up on Striped Peak. Today, there is a well-used trail that makes a loop around Striped Peak. The only features a person will see is steep wooded timber, remote beach access, and peek-a-boo views of the Strait. There are no actual advertised trails leading to these old bunkers. I am staying at the park in a few days and would like to find the remains of these structures. I am also aware that more abandoned bunkers exist west of Crescent Bay. These bunkers are located on timber property and are not easily accessed. To find them, a person must drive a series of connected logging roads to reach it. The bunkers are perched on heavily wooded bluffs overlooking the Strait. I would be interested in talking with someone who has seen them or knows the history.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
meck

meck
PostWed Jul 28, 2021 9:54 pm 
Check out this site: http://www.fortwiki.com/Camp_Hayden Take a look at the links for battery 249 and 131. Battery 249 is closed off for bat habitat. The forts down at the Columbia River & Cape Disappointment State Park, on the WA side, have at least two batteries of a similar same design & layout that you can walk through. Battery 249 is slightly off the logging roads on the return loop; its sighting bunker is also just off the road further down (you can enter this one). I've not yet gone looking for the radar sites that are noted on the map nor the HECP (on my to-do list) further up Striped Peak. As I recall, Battery 249 and the Sighting bunker are not very far off the forest access road that leaves the Striped Peak TH just bit south. They are maybe a 10-15 minute walk up the road, to the north of the road itself. Be very very careful around the "westside" of Battery 249 (the side where the entrance was located) and watch where you are stepping. There was at least one open storm drain hole, missing is grate cover, that dropped ~7'+ down into a vault with no way out. The hole was surrounded by ferns and not visible until you were basically on top of it. If you were hiking along and fell in you might not be found for a couple of weeks...

*Just say NO to Rent-Seeking, don't give up the concept of "ownership"*
OlympicExplorer

OlympicExplorer
PostThu Jul 29, 2021 7:00 pm 
meck wrote:
Be very very careful around the "westside" of Battery 249 (the side where the entrance was located) and watch where you are stepping. There was at least one open storm drain hole, missing is grate cover, that dropped ~7'+ down into a vault with no way out. The hole was surrounded by ferns and not visible until you were basically on top of it. If you were hiking along and fell in you might not be found for a couple of weeks...
Meck, Thank you for the heads up on the hazards that exist. I would hate to find them by surprise! That link is very helpful showing where various military structures were located. I have a topographical map of the area on my phone, so I'm going to try my best to match up the locations. I'm actually surprised that these historical structures/remains are not showcased on trail maps and easily accessed by the public. Is Striped Peak technically off county park property? I appreciate all things history and like to see what remains of homesteads, fire lookouts, plane wrecks, etc, etc.

trestle

trestle
PostThu Aug 05, 2021 6:17 pm 
There was a recent post in the Abandoned Washington FB group that showed the bunkers in question.

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
OlympicExplorer

OlympicExplorer
PostFri Aug 06, 2021 11:46 am 
Trestle, that was me. I did find many locations on the northwest shoulder of Striped Peak. Most of the abandoned buildings were right off the logging road. One interesting thing that caught my eye was an old telephone pole leaning in the woods. I could see it through the trees from the road. I decided to climb through the brush and take a closer look. Next to the leaning telephone pole was a collapsed wooden building of some sort. Just a few feet beyond that location was the entrance to another bunker. This bunker looked much less visited than the others.

mosey, zimmertr, trestle, meck
trestle

trestle
PostMon Aug 09, 2021 3:02 pm 
You captured some great pics! That drain vault... eek.gif

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
NightOwl

NightOwl
PostThu Sep 01, 2022 4:20 pm 
I've been to all the existing bunkers along the Strait. Visiting some of them requires going onto non-public land. Finding them was a fun little challenge. I'm not gonna give out much more info though, because I want them to stay obscure.

NightOwl

NightOwl
PostThu Sep 01, 2022 4:25 pm 
OlympicExplorer wrote:
Trestle, that was me. I did find many locations on the northwest shoulder of Striped Peak. Most of the abandoned buildings were right off the logging road. One interesting thing that caught my eye was an old telephone pole leaning in the woods. I could see it through the trees from the road. I decided to climb through the brush and take a closer look. Next to the leaning telephone pole was a collapsed wooden building of some sort. Just a few feet beyond that location was the entrance to another bunker. This bunker looked much less visited than the others.
I recognize most of those, but I don't remember seeing the telephone pole. I've been to Battery 249 (the main complex and the bunker up the road) and the command post at the top of the hill. I'm wondering if there's a bunker I missed...

Waterman

Waterman
PostThu Sep 01, 2022 6:05 pm 
The bunkers at Cape Disappointment have been placed off limits to the public. Too close to the coast guard station. At least that was the reason I was told by a park official.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost
jonreedna@yahoo.com
SolDucPioneer

jonreedna@yahoo.com
SolDucPioneer
PostThu Mar 23, 2023 7:25 pm 
I've frequented this location many times since I learned of it in 1982. That year, my new boyfriend took me there and we hiked up to battery 249. It was wide open then. You can still get in there if you know how. But back in 82, we entered the bunker and walked, and walked, and walked, way back into the mountain side until our flashlight started dimming. It's no longer accessible because they walled up the front room where the entry was. You can tell that the concrete used in the newer construction is new and smooth. There are vast amounts if fortification and even huge battery emplacements at flattery. For natl security purposes much of them have been camouflaged and wall in.

Janet Hahn
jonreedna@yahoo.com
SolDucPioneer

jonreedna@yahoo.com
SolDucPioneer
PostThu Mar 23, 2023 7:26 pm 
Ditto

Janet Hahn
jonreedna@yahoo.com
SolDucPioneer

jonreedna@yahoo.com
SolDucPioneer
PostThu Mar 23, 2023 7:30 pm 
The drain vault was the fuel room. The poke used to be on the road out to majestic pillbox. It's since been removed (power buried). I've also been to the agate bay pillbox, 3 times. It's well worth the excursion! Amazing , extremely high lookout just west of the agate bay snob lodge. They're scary!!

Janet Hahn