Forum Index > Trail Talk > Here comes the smoke!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
gb

gb
PostTue Jul 06, 2021 6:35 am 
Near Mt. Shasta the Lava fire at 25,000 acres is 71% contained and the Tenant fire at 10,000 acres is 53% contained. Once these are contained we shouldn't get much more smoke from the south. Canada is a different issue and those fires could bring smoke to us from the NE, N, or even NW...... https://governmentofbc.maps.arcgis.com/apps/dashboards/f0ac328d88c74d07aa2ee385abe2a41b

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
kiliki

kiliki
PostTue Jul 06, 2021 8:40 am 
ale_capone wrote:
Cyclopath wrote:
My friend cancelled a trip to the T'way this weekend because of the smoke.
I wonder how many others followed suit? This Thursday and Friday seemed relatively lite on highway 2 for a holiday weekend. Less then midweek traffic last year. Last week it was the heat that made for easy driving.
I thought the same going to over the NC Hwy then staying in Mazama. I thought the highway, Mazama Store, Blue Lake Trailhead, etc was busier last time we went up in mid-May. I wondered if it was the heat, and if that deterred hikers and campers. If we didn't have a dog that went to pieces at the fireworks, I wouldn't have left the lovely, cool Seattle to go to 90s temps in Mazama. We had smoke, sometimes better and sometimes worse, the whole time. We abandoned a hike to Tiffany Mt on Sunday as the more east we drove the thicker the haze was.

gb

gb
PostThu Jul 08, 2021 7:24 pm 
We are pretty much screwed with many lightning strikes in BC from Prince George, to the upper Fraser and extending across the province to the area around Sandpoint. Some lightning is also taking place in the vicinity of the Pasayten to Republic and forecast to Spokane and also in the Blue Mountians. Environment Canada current lightning. 24 hour lightning thus far NWS Spokane predicts more thunderstorms Wednesday-Thursday of next week. There has been rain with some of the North Cascade, Okanogan, and Canadian thunderstorms: Regional radar, NWS Spokane

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Jul 09, 2021 7:36 am 
OK, a lightning strike does not mean a fire is going to erupt. And then, that doesn't mean a huge fire will occur if one should start. Unfortunately, people seem to be worrying more than needed when lightning strike maps are displayed on facebook. I get more upset about the incorrect spelling of lightning. Let's correct spelling when lightening occurs in an item about lightning. biggrin.gif Air quality is rated as moderate hear today. Their you have it. wink.gif

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostFri Jul 09, 2021 7:46 am 
^^^^^^ ykm.gif lol.gif

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")
rbuzby
Attention Surplus

rbuzby
Attention Surplus
PostFri Jul 09, 2021 7:53 am 
There are at least a dozen small fires around Spokane, many were started by lightning, according to NWS Spokane. https://www.fireweatheravalanche.org/fire/state/washington

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Jul 09, 2021 2:14 pm 
Yes, there were fires set off by last night's/yesterday's storm. But to think that every little computer mapped strike will be a fire is getting a bit too nitpicky. That map does help for recon flight planning and extra attention from the few lookouts that are up. It's handy for that. The facebook comments on the strike map become quite fearful sounding, and folks seem to be convinced that a major conflagration will erupt at each strike location....and I'm exaggerating a bit to make a point.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
gb

gb
PostSun Jul 11, 2021 9:52 am 
Here is the current Washington Wildfire map. You can see the good number of fires started from the recent lightning storm across North Central and NE Washington, down to Spokane; and in the Blue Mountains. https://www.fireweatheravalanche.org/fire/state/washington It is very likely there are other fires that have yet to become large enough to be seen, most from the recent lightning complex.. But it remains dry with no rain in sight. I am glad to see they are actively fighting the Cedar Creek fire. That is a dangerous area with very steep terrain. It either gets stopped while small or it burns and spreads for a good part of the summer.

Fletcher

Fletcher
PostSun Jul 11, 2021 10:38 am 
A little bit of good news, some friends of mine were out doing the Stehekin Triangle peaks last week and reported three hours of a good amount of precip on both Wednesday and Thursday out there.

rbuzby
gb

gb
PostSat Jul 31, 2021 3:55 am 
This article from the Vancouver Sun is pretty much bang on for us as well. The smoke looks to stay through much of Sunday: https://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/wildfire-smoke-coming-to-vancouver-on-saturday-with-possibility-of-lasting-returns-experts This was predictable as much as 5-10 days ago as upper level winds became southerly and winds at 5000' are unfavorable - variable to NE until onshore flow resumes late Sunday. When winds aloft kind of die out the smoke just gradually fills the whole area much like a puddle of molasses would flow out from the center. https://firesmoke.ca/forecasts/current/ The dire situation in Western States- initial attack critical