Forum Index > Gear Talk > Best 2-3 person shelter using trekking poles
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostMon Jul 19, 2021 8:44 am 
Frano's image is of the sil nylon Stratospire 2. Rainshadow is a different design altogether - single wall hybrid tunnel design with front entry (vs. dual side entry). Probably a fine tent, but in many ways not an apples to apples comparison with the SS.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
rossb

rossb
PostMon Jul 19, 2021 9:55 am 
All of the Tarptent tents are high quality in my opinion. For some reason I thought the author wanted a tent supported by trekking poles -- now that I reread it, that isn't the case. I would definitely look at all of the 3+ person tents, if you want that much room. If you are really looking for a roomy two person (or 2+ person tent) then you have a lot more options, including those made from other companies. That being said, Tarptent tents tend to be roomier than most (a lot of "2 person" tents from other makers are a tight squeeze for two, and are usually used by one person). So it really gets down to trade-offs. I think it is important to know how the walls slope down (not just "floor space"). Tarptent does a great job (in my opinion) of showing you how much space you will have. Then there are things like entrances (as Franco mentioned), ease of setup, pole design, storm worthiness and all of that. If you plan on base camping (and want to use your poles for day hikes) keep in mind that you can get poles that are pretty cheap and light. Of course if you plan on doing that every time, then factor that weight into the equation. Personally, I would start with space as my first priority, and work from there. If a tent is cramped, you aren't going to like it, even if you saved a few ounces (which again is why so many solo hikers use "two person" tents).

Franco

Franco
PostFri Jul 23, 2021 2:09 am 
Worthington wrote:
Franco, is that a StratoSpire2? Anyone know what tent Franco is showing off there?
I was replying to the previous post. Same tent , yes the TT SS2, Silnylon version. The SS Li is a bit smaller but lighter.

Schroder

Schroder
PostFri Jul 23, 2021 11:05 am 
rossb wrote:
For some reason I thought the author wanted a tent supported by trekking poles -- now that I reread it, that isn't the case
That's the title of the thread "Best 2-3 person shelter using trekking poles"

bchiker
Worthington

Worthington
PostFri Jul 23, 2021 7:59 pm 
Thanks for all the suggestions, both with and without trekking poles.

Dante

Dante
PostFri Jul 30, 2021 4:41 pm 
I have an MSR Mesh House 3 which I use with a SilNylon tarp. I can use trekking poles (or my Zpacks CF poles) or guy the top of each end to the ridgeline of my tarp. It's not the cheapest or lightest, but it's not the heaviest or most expensive, either, and I already had the tarp and trekking poles.

Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostTue Aug 03, 2021 8:00 am 
I had the Tarptent Double Rainbow for years, and it's good, but I just got tired of the condensation from the single wall design. A couple years ago I got the Big Agnes Tiger Wall UL3 and I've been really happy with it. Somehow it's about the same weight as the Tarptent even with slightly more space and a rain fly.

Franco

Franco
PostTue Aug 03, 2021 3:29 pm 
The DR , like all the other Tarptents, does have a rainfly, that is why you don't get wet when it rains.. It however does not have a separate inner, but you can get a liner that covers the roof area so that if condensation is a problem where you hike , the fly will not drip on you but on the liner. Adds about 4 oz to the weight. https://www.tarptent.com/clip-in-liner/

Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostTue Aug 03, 2021 3:58 pm 
Why are you making this odd semantic point? Are you just trolling? Maybe in Australia they call the tent wall in a single-wall setup a "rain fly," but that is not the terminology I'm familiar with. Otherwise, yes, I'm aware that the single wall in a Tarptent is rain-proof, I used it for years. As was surely obvious, I meant that the Tiger Wall has the advantage of having a rain fly *in addition to* the inner wall. Geez. Also, I've used the liner in the Double Rainbow. It is virtually useless. It does not work well to prevent condensation, and sags in a way that make moving around in the tent very difficult.

Franco

Franco
PostTue Aug 03, 2021 5:30 pm 
It isn't semantics. It is because if by any chance someone else from outside the US reads that they would indeed get the wrong idea. Only in the US the inner is called a" tent" so it can be confusing for some.

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostThu Aug 05, 2021 8:22 pm 
I always go for a more heavier weight type design, something out of the box. Works out of the box. Heavy no hassles - full tent design!!

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Aug 05, 2021 9:10 pm 
BigBrunyon wrote:
I always go for a more heavier weight type design, something out of the box. Works out of the box. Heavy no hassles - full tent design!!
I am tending to agree with you. Tried a light floorless tent, F that! Tried a Seedhouse, no headroom! Going back to my 4lb Mountain Hardwear tent, plenty off headroom, bombproof, plus has 2 doors, one for gear and one to pee out of.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostFri Aug 06, 2021 1:00 pm 
Foist wrote:
Also, I've used the liner in the Double Rainbow. It is virtually useless. It does not work well to prevent condensation, and sags in a way that make moving around in the tent very difficult.
At the risk of raising a non-semantic point, the purpose of a liner in a Tarptent DR is not to prevent condensation. The purpose is to keep the condensation from dripping down on the occupants of the tent. The condensation drips on the liner instead. I currently have a Tarptent DR Li w/liner and it seems to work just fine for my spouse and me. We don't seem to have any problem moving around inside. YMMV This is our second DR. Our first one we purchased back around 2005 or so. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostFri Aug 06, 2021 1:46 pm 
Right, that is why I said "virtually" useless. On using the liner thing, I realized that condensation dripping from above is not the real issue in the first place. It's brushing up against the walls of the tent when I'm moving around. The loose-hanging DR liner thing does not help with that, and actually restricts movement and space even further. With my new Big Agnes tent, I can change and sleep comfortably knowing that if I roll or bump into or brush against the wall, it's fine and I won't get wet.

the1mitch

the1mitch
PostTue Aug 10, 2021 10:28 am 
As a contrarian, I would recommend any 8x10 or 10x10 sylnylon tarp with a loose tyvek floor and 20 inches of netting sewn in around the sides and big triangles of net sewn at the ends. Mine is an Equinox in lovely green with sewn in tie outs. Plenty of bug protection and ventilation aplenty. Three folks can sleep in it even in rain and it weighs in at 3 lbs including 6 pegs. Hiking poles don't figure in the weight to my way of thinking. 60-70 nights in this rig and I love it.

illegitimi non carborundum!