Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostThu Jul 08, 2021 6:38 am 
InFlight wrote:
Along the Lilly Basin Trail there is a nice water spring just below the trail with plenty of camping spots. ... It’s just below the “96” on the map below.
I'm confused, @InFlight. Below the "96" is (a) not on the Lily Basin trail and (b) in Snowgrass Flat, where camping is prohibited. There is a nice spring at the lower end of Lily Basin trail, and it does have several good sites nearby, but I'd describe it as left of the "0.7," not below the "96." It shows on the map as that stream that starts just a hair to the right of LB trail and flows left, crossing the trail. Is that what you're referring to?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostThu Jul 08, 2021 1:57 pm 
texasbb wrote:
InFlight wrote:
Along the Lilly Basin Trail there is a nice water spring just below the trail with plenty of camping spots. ... It’s just below the “96” on the map below.
I'm confused, @InFlight. Below the "96" is (a) not on the Lily Basin trail and (b) in Snowgrass Flat, where camping is prohibited. There is a nice spring at the lower end of Lily Basin trail, and it does have several good sites nearby, but I'd describe it as left of the "0.7," not below the "96." It shows on the map as that stream that starts just a hair to the right of LB trail and flows left, crossing the trail. Is that what you're referring to?
The Spring is next to the "Alpine Camp" on the top left of this map. https://data.fs.usda.gov/geodata/rastergateway/data3/46121/fstopo/Walupt_Lake_462212122_FSTopo.pdf

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostThu Jul 08, 2021 2:37 pm 
InFlight wrote:
The Spring is next to the "Alpine Camp" on the top left of this map. https://data.fs.usda.gov/geodata/rastergateway/data3/46121/fstopo/Walupt_Lake_462212122_FSTopo.pdf
Yes, that's the one I referred to. Thanks.

Felpudo

Felpudo
PostFri Jul 09, 2021 10:40 am 
FYI, When I hiked this last year in early September, there was no water for the camps along the ridge until almost to the lake. I was very glad to have hiked up and camped on the other side of the loop.

Bowregard

Bowregard
PostFri Jul 09, 2021 11:46 am 
Good Point, When I was there in late October 2019 we had the same issue but my daughters were aware so we filled up with water at one of the creeks they knew would be running between Goat Lake and the PCT. We also found a small stream on the PCT before the Old Snowy cutoff. If I remember right there was a waterfall near the last stream coming from Goat Lake before you get to the PCT that had a nice stream for collecting water.

Bowregard

Bowregard
PostThu Jul 15, 2021 4:28 pm 
I believe this is the last creek on the way from Goat Lake towards the PCT
Most every "clump" of trees along the trail in this area has 1-3 campsites
Most every "clump" of trees along the trail in this area has 1-3 campsites
Beautiful views of Mt Adams, St Helens, and Rainier
Beautiful views of Mt Adams, St Helens, and Rainier

texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostThu Jul 15, 2021 4:36 pm 
Bowregard wrote:
There is a nice spring a little lower down. It's on the map right near "Alpine Camp," and flows right across the trail.

Bowregard
Bowregard

Bowregard
PostThu Jul 15, 2021 5:02 pm 
Thanks for that info texasbb I will have to remember it. I can't imagine how we missed that spring since we took the first connector trail right after you cross it - unless it was dry in late October. I guess it is possible we simply weren't looking anymore since we filled up with water at the previous waterfall. The campsites in that area were great but I let the sunshine fool me and picked a level spot out in the open instead of a protected one in the trees. Not a good idea at that elevation in late Fall!

babylero

babylero
PostThu Aug 05, 2021 11:50 pm 
I was up there a few weekends ago and there seemed to be unlimited campsites despite a ton of people. There are social trails everywhere and nearly everh group of trees has camps between the PCT and the trail in from the Snowgrass TJ. Between the PCT and the ridge old snowey and kyes there were campsites, there were even a few bivy sites on old snowy itslef and a few cool tent sites above the packwood glacier (probably windy though). IMO the best place to camp is in Cispus Basin.
Nice views and less people. That said I camped close to the junction of trail 96 and the PCT and had no complaints. There was a running creek just to my west and a spring to my south.

Bowregard