Forum Index > Trail Talk > New fire in William O Douglas wilderness
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Aug 05, 2021 5:22 pm 
I got an email informing me that my reservation at Bumping Lake Campground next week had been canceled due a fire. Disappointing. I hope the fire fighters are able to contain the fire without anyone getting hurt. Here is the USFS info on the fire. https://www.fs.usda.gov/alerts/okawen/alerts-notices/?aid=67707

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
kbatku
Questionable hiker

kbatku
Questionable hiker
PostSat Aug 07, 2021 7:04 pm 
Mountainfisherman

Mountainfisherman
PostSun Aug 08, 2021 6:07 pm 
According to the map on Inciweb it has burned over Meeks Table. frown.gif

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostSun Aug 08, 2021 8:25 pm 
Yeah, Meeks Table is burned. Truly upsetting. I have only been there twice, wanted to go back.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
hikerbiker

hikerbiker
PostMon Aug 09, 2021 3:36 am 
Kim Brown wrote:
Yeah, Meeks Table is burned. Truly upsetting. I have only been there twice, wanted to go back.
Are you sure? Have you seen a picture? MODIS/VIRS fire maps are subject to location error. I prefer to be optimistic until I get my boots on the ground and have a look. I am praying it has not.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostMon Aug 09, 2021 12:18 pm 
No more sure than the original statement and map is. No, I don't have pictures. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. Prove it otherwise, and I'll be happy.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostMon Aug 09, 2021 12:58 pm 
Toni

Toni
PostMon Aug 09, 2021 2:12 pm 
Randito wrote:
I got an email informing me that my reservation at Bumping Lake Campground next week had been canceled due a fire. Disappointing. I hope the fire fighters are able to contain the fire without anyone getting hurt. Here is the USFS info on the fire. https://www.fs.usda.gov/alerts/okawen/alerts-notices/?aid=67707
We had reservations at Soda Springs CG, 9-13th, they were canceled and a notice of refund Aug. 5th.

There is no Planet B
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostMon Aug 09, 2021 8:08 pm 
This thread made me search for Meeks Table which I didn't know about. Pretty interesting. But this isn't the first time it's burned. September, 2015: Meeks Table Fire now 20 percent contained, some fire restrictions lifted in places. Of course, there are no maps of the fire extent from that article. FS 1500 to FS 1600 road systems were shut down, which is probably a little east of the actual summit area.

gb

gb
PostTue Aug 10, 2021 7:29 am 
Current from Inciweb:
Quote:
Planned Actions Maintain road and trail closures; inform, assess, and protect local communities; work on building containment lines with limited available resources; Maintain firefighter and community safety with continuing weather concerns. Type 2 Incident Management Team has arrived and assumed command of the incident as of 0600 today. Projected Incident Activity Fire will continue to grow significantly on the east flank and into the 2015 Meeks Table fire scar. High winds are forecasted over the next couple of days. Weather events bringing erratic, strong, gusty winds may produce long-range spotting and significant fire runs.
I sure hope it does not burn the top of Meeks Table, which is "Research Natural Area". That status probably gives some priority to trying to keep the fire from doing so.

Mountainfisherman

Mountainfisherman
PostTue Aug 10, 2021 7:42 am 
I hope so, too. It’s really a cool and unique spot. I’ve haven’t been up there since the 2015 fire-I forgot it had been named for the Table.

Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostTue Aug 10, 2021 7:57 am 
There was an infrared (IR) flight last night. The red/black line on this map is the perimeter determined by the IR analyst. If you zoom in on the map you will see that Meeks Table is well inside the perimeter. There are 2 links in the upper left corner that explain more about the map. Link to open map: https://mappingsupport.com/p2/gissurfer.php?center=46.831421,-121.128387&zoom=12&basemap=ESRI_scanned_topo_USA&overlay=VIIRS_24_hours,MODIS_24_hours,State_boundary,Wildland_fire_name,ESRI_roads_and_labels&fire=WA,SchneiderSprings&data=https://mappingsupport.com/p2/special_maps/disaster/USA_wildland_fire.txt

MangyMarmot

MangyMarmot
PostTue Aug 10, 2021 9:58 am 
I saw a bunch of smoke billowing out from that general direction. This explains it.

Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostTue Aug 10, 2021 5:17 pm 
If you open the map link I posted you will see the fire is making a significicant move toward Bumping Lake. Latest MODIS/VIIRS hits are from daytime satellite passes earlier today

flatsqwerl

flatsqwerl
PostTue Aug 10, 2021 5:19 pm 
I think I can see the smoke from my deck in Tacoma.