Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostMon Aug 09, 2021 6:00 am 
that's 3 words

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
pjhorst

pjhorst
PostThu Aug 12, 2021 9:12 pm 
8/9/2021 - Snowy Creek to Nason Ridge to Rock Lake. Easy drive in, hike was pleasant with a bit of avalanche debris midway in the meadow, quite a bit of elevation gain to the ridge and loss down to the lake. A Fisher or Marten cruised across the snowbank near the lake as we got close. An overabundant # of Golden trout were present and accounted for in the lake. Nice location. Saw only 4 other folks, day hiking as well.

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostThu Aug 12, 2021 9:25 pm 
pjhorst wrote:
Nice skies. And that lake in the next shot looks beautiful. ~z

OwenT

OwenT
PostThu Aug 12, 2021 9:40 pm 
Attempted Mt Challenger on Tuesday 8/10 and Wednesday. We came out Wednesday instead of Thursday because after giving a good look at the glacier, we decided it's too badly broken up at this point. We couldn't see a good way across. So instead of making camp that night, we decided to grind all the way out. It was tough. Both days we hiked about 20 miles. It's too bad because everything lined up so perfectly to make this trip including the Bear creek fire getting under control. We only noticed a hint of smoke in the Chilliwack valley on Tuesday. Overall the weather was very clear although quite warm. I really wanted to climb Challenger and we hiked so far to get there, it was sad to turn around but it just wasn't going to happen, especially because it still would have been a hard summit day from our camp because we foolishly chose to try the traverse around Whatcom route instead of just hiking to Perfect Pass. Still was a good hike and a great view of Challenger. I only wish I could have gotten to see the rest of the Pickets.

Cyclopath, olderthanIusedtobe, mosey, Silas, awilsondc
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostMon Aug 16, 2021 5:44 pm 
My semi-regular hiking partner does a good job of suggesting some trails I either wasn't aware of, or hadn't looked at very closely previously. Sunday we had it narrowed down to either Newhalem Creek or Happy Panther. Since they are close to each other, we figured we could decide which one while driving there. And Newhalem it was. Interesting. Very brushy. A few spots that were kinda tricky and took a little patience to pick our way through. Not a lot of elevation gain. I wouldn't exactly call it an easy hike, but it's not really difficult either. The creek is in earshot the vast majority of the time, but only occasional glimpses of it. It is gorgeous when you do see it. A few good views of the southern Pickets at the beginning, although the sky was fairly hazy at the beginning. Better on the way back down. The falls near the beginning is also impressive. The road bridge about 3/4 of the way up was a surprise. I thought it was only a road at the beginning, then actual trail. Apparently it's reclaimed road the whole way. We continued after the bridge, but quickly left the creek behind. Kept waiting for a view, but never got one. We eventually stopped. Trail continued on, for how far or to where I don't know. Bring a friend for this one, that way you can take turns going first and eating cobwebs. Seriously spiders, why ya gotta put your webs right at face level? We found a wonderful lunch spot approx. 3 miles up the trail. Would've been a nice spot for a dip in the creek as well, but we didn't submerge ourselves.

RichP

RichP
PostMon Aug 16, 2021 5:53 pm 
Gypsy Peak, Pend Oreille County highpoint, 7320+. From Bear Pasture which closes to motorized use 6 miles before the trailhead on Aug 15th to protect wildlife habitat. No grizzlies spotted. Pretty good berries at mid-elevation but bare higher up. 8ish miles RT and 3kish gain. Hike can be done from Sullivan Mtn at the south end of Crowell Ridge as well but twice the distance and does not close.

meck

meck
PostSat Aug 21, 2021 12:11 pm 
MSH Monitor Ridge on 8/17 - My wife found a Mt St Helens climbing permit (must have been a last minute cancellation) for me, so I got to go up it on an overcast Tuesday morning. The route up was well marked, and very well traveled. I did not cross any snow. A lot of hikers were coming down as I was going up. The summit/crater rim was just above the low cloud deck, but I arrived ~40 minutes too late to see any other volcanoes (Hood, Adams, Rainier) as the clouds moved in up against the mountain and filled the crater too. The wind gusts were 30+ mph and ash/tiny pumice was being blown everywhere (my poor camera does not sound the same now when zooming in an out frown.gif ). I scurried over to the "true summit" and ate lunch, then began the trip back down. This was a fun "hearty" climb, glad to have been there and hope to go back.
view out to the SW from the monitor ridge route up
view out to the SW from the monitor ridge route up
cool clouds and lighting
cool clouds and lighting
interesting colors and texture: ash gray mixed with tufts of green
interesting colors and texture: ash gray mixed with tufts of green
view up the ridge, with GPS station to the left
view up the ridge, with GPS station to the left
looking back toward the crate edge where the route first meet it, from the true summit (such as it is now)
looking back toward the crate edge where the route first meet it, from the true summit (such as it is now)
other hikers arriving at the crater rim, ash blowing around
other hikers arriving at the crater rim, ash blowing around
looking back down the Monitor Ridge route
looking back down the Monitor Ridge route
Mt Rose on 8/18 - Trail up was great, though a lot of the brush looks like the beginning of fall (dried out and yellowing). We hiked the loop counter-clockwise since it kept us in the shade a tad longer given our early afternoon start. Clouds were moving in and the haze hid the volcanoes from view, but otherwise a great go-to hike.
Mt Ellinor from the upper ridge
Mt Ellinor from the upper ridge
zoom in on Mt Ellinor summit, at least three hikers in view
3 labels
zoom in on Mt Ellinor summit, at least three hikers in view
Copper Mtn from the trail
Copper Mtn from the trail
Copper Mtn west summit block
Copper Mtn west summit block
Copper Mtn east summit
Copper Mtn east summit
classic view of Lake Cushman from Mt Rose summit
classic view of Lake Cushman from Mt Rose summit
float plane that had just taken off from the lake
float plane that had just taken off from the lake
looking up the North Fork Skokomish drainage
3 labels
looking up the North Fork Skokomish drainage
Mt. Olympus in the far distance
Mt. Olympus in the far distance

*Just say NO to Rent-Seeking, don't give up the concept of "ownership"*

Cyclopath, awilsondc
thxII38

thxII38
PostSun Aug 22, 2021 11:42 am 
An alpine scramble up Hibox Mountain For those who think Mailbox Peak is too flat, you might want to consider the ascent of Hibox Mountain. The round-trip elevation gain is about 100 feet more than Mailbox, but the last 1.2 miles to the summit climbs 3200 feet. I found the ascent up wasn't too bad. The descent on the other hand was about the same pace as the ascent as I picked my way down very carefully. The trail via Rachel lake has seen some good trail maintenance in the past month with lots of trees blocking the trail cut and removed. The climber's trail up to Hibox can be difficult to spot. It is off to the right and shortly after you notice a trail to the right through bramble. That is not the trail. Continue for a couple of more minutes, after you enter back under the tree canopy you will spot the correct trail to the right. At this point as you ascend, keep looking back and noting features to spot on the descent, particularly when the trail becomes thin or non-existent. I marked issues with flagging which I removed on my descent. The summit block at the top was a fun and easy 3rd class scramble with minimal exposure. The views are spectacular. For those considering doing it I made a video of the scramble: Video of the climb

I love sports-bars. Because they collect all the people I don't want to hang out with and put them in one room.

mosey, KascadeFlat
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue Aug 24, 2021 10:02 am 
bccarlso wrote:
One word: BUGS BUGS BUGS
Sky Hiker wrote:
that's 3 words
Well, well, well. Not so fast. Maybe it's one word repeated twice; or written three times.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
awilsondc

awilsondc
PostWed Aug 25, 2021 5:14 pm 
Echo Rock - Observation Rock - Tillicum Point 8/21/21 With the forecast looking overcast everywhere it seemed like a good time to head back for Observation Rock. Two years ago I climbed Fay, Pleasant, Hessong Rock, and was on my way to Echo and Observation when I laid down for a quick rest. 90 minutes later I woke up from my unintentional nap and only had time left for Echo. This time Ross and I got Echo and Observation Rocks, then decided to take the ridge over to Tillicum point. It was easy at first but got interesting around 7600 ft. We bypassed three gendarmes skiers left (south), then crossed over to the north around 7200 ft and dropped a couple hundred feet to get around some cliffs, then back on the ridge proper to the peaks. The terrain was loose, chossy, a bit technical, and some route finding was involved (we were in a fog out). Not the most pleasant route, but it went. We descended the north slopes to Spray Park and back to the trail. Overall the weather turned out better than expected and it was a nice little trip.
Entering Spray Park
Entering Spray Park
Hessong Rock
Hessong Rock
Sun and fog
Sun and fog
Echo Rock and fog
Echo Rock and fog
Echo Rock and a stream
Echo Rock and a stream
Tarn w/ Sluiskin behind
Tarn w/ Sluiskin behind
Ross on the Flett Glacier
Ross on the Flett Glacier
Ascending Echo Rock
Ascending Echo Rock
Ant on a Hill
Ant on a Hill
Ascending Observation Rock
Ascending Observation Rock
Observation observations
Observation observations
Fog out on the way to Tillicum
Fog out on the way to Tillicum
Tarn in Spray Park
Tarn in Spray Park
Flowers alongside a stream
Flowers alongside a stream
Moody vibes
Moody vibes

Cyclopath, jaysway, ozzy, puzzlr, RossJames, neek
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostFri Aug 27, 2021 2:43 pm 
Upper Wildcat Lake on Wednesday, August 25. WTA says it's 17 miles round trip. Some maps/books seem to say less. But it was plenty long. I did it to see if I could do it in a day. I've been to Gem Lake and environs a number of times, but it's been awhile and I conveniently forgot how rocky and rooty that trail is and how much of a roller coaster it is in places. It was definitely exhausting--several times over and by the time I was hiking out by headlamp was wondering if I had been unwise to attempt it. Maybe so. There were moments of beauty for sure. I had a few really sweet trail interactions that kind of made the day. Some nice people out there. I really should drink more water. I only carried about 2.5 liters and was too driven to stop and pump some. It's a miracle I didn't twist an ankle. Many parts of the Snow Lake/Gem Lake trail were giant stone steps. Other parts were cliffy. The trail from Gem down towards Lower Wildcat was pretty nice until the talus crossing. ~z

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostFri Aug 27, 2021 9:58 pm 
zephyr wrote:
There were moments of beauty for sure.
I hiked to Gem Lake at the end of June this year and everything was covered in snow starting from the ridge before Snow Lake. It was a VERY cool experience. I've been there once before and the summer and it definitely felt more unique in the winter. I didn't see any humans or footprints beyond Snow Lake either. Seems like a better early-season option to avoid the crowds & dogpoop bags.

Flickr | Strava

Cyclopath, jaysway  KascadeFlat
Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostSun Aug 29, 2021 5:23 pm 
Status quo on the last mile of road. rolleyes.gif Easy enough for a Forester, just pick your line. Busy as usual; Lots of people doing the loop. No arachnids nor other bugs. up.gif ...And it's still a wonderful place... to go find a secluded spot and take a nap. yawn.gif
The Meadow
The Meadow

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)

Cyclopath, jaysway, rubywrangler  KascadeFlat
neek

neek
PostTue Aug 31, 2021 2:51 pm 
Get Out and Go wrote:
No arachnids nor other bugs.
Any chihuahuas? The Brothers on Saturday. Fun route, tons of berries, slightly hazy views.

Cyclopath, zimmertr, hapemask, BensonM, meck  KascadeFlat
BeardoMcGrath

BeardoMcGrath
PostWed Sep 01, 2021 2:50 pm 
Thanks to awilsondc's excellent report from late July I won't spam Cadet Peak with a new report, but we climbed up there on Sunday. Excellent views, and temps were not so hot as to make the grind up to the summit overly arduous. I can confirm the ascent route is STEEP. This late in the season there was no snow, but that did mean crossing the blown out gully was a little tricky over loose rock. I'm not very fond of loose, steep scree, so I found the traverse to the gendarme to also be a little exciting. The one class 3 step was easy by comparison. We met one other person, who also summited the north peak. We were very happy to have ridden our bikes to Monte Cristo, else it would have been pretty close to dark by the time we got back to the cars. More cars than I've ever seen at Barlow Pass when we departed at 9 AM in the morning; I assume they were all in Gothic Basin since we did not see many other people along the road, in Monte Cristo, or in Glacier Basin. I've now been to Glacier Basin three times, and it is definitely one of my favorite places in the Cascades: rugged cliffs, waterfalls, and verdant undergrowth.
Blown out gully
Blown out gully
Looking down the N Fk Sauk
Looking down the N Fk Sauk
Cairn at the step
Cairn at the step
View North
View North
Twentyfive Mile fire
Twentyfive Mile fire
Rugged N side of Kyes (Nason Fire in back left)
Rugged N side of Kyes (Nason Fire in back left)
Dry looking Glacier
Dry looking Glacier
3 summit parties this weekend
3 summit parties this weekend
Huge waterfall in Pride Basin
Huge waterfall in Pride Basin
Bear Scat in Glacier Basin
Bear Scat in Glacier Basin
Late flowers
Late flowers

Cyclopath, zimmertr  KascadeFlat