Forum Index > Trip Reports > Bearpaw Ridge: 7/30/21 -7/31/21
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
fourteen410

fourteen410
PostSat Jul 31, 2021 8:10 pm 
I've been up here a couple times, but clouds have always blocked the views. With a clear day in the forecast, I was confident that the third time would be the charm. When we encountered smoky skies on Hwy 542, I started to think my luck was cursed. Fortunately, by the time we arrived at the trailhead, the winds had shifted enough to clear things up a bit. A short but steep climb brought us to Church Lake. Timing is everything at this beautiful lake. Come here during the week and you'll have a quiet wilderness experience. Come here on the weekend and you'll have plenty of company with an interesting crowd. Thankfully, we've always had the former, and this time was no exception.
Bugs made for a short stay at the lake. We found a couple of dead fish on the shore. I have seen some birds of prey up here before, so perhaps it was some unfinished lunch.
Views of the North Cascades opened up as we climbed higher into the basin above. We noticed some interesting clouds to the NE of the Border Peaks and Larrabee. As we continued up the shoulder to the ridge, we watched a large smoke plume grow. We found out later that this was the Bear Creek fire.
We came to a knoll S of Bearpaw Mt. with nice views and set up camp along the ridge. We had sucked up most of our water during the hot hike up, so I decided to venture out to Whistler Lake for water duty. I dropped down into the basin SW of the knoll on steep, sketchy terrain. From the ridge, it's only a quarter mile or so to the lake, but the descent was slow going. This place is for the sure-footed only. Once in the basin, I crossed some talus and traversed a short but loose slope before coming to the lake. This is a beautiful place.
After refilling water bladders and soaking in the outlet creek, it was time to head back up. This time I took a slightly better heather filled chute back up. Back on the ridge, I could see the Bear Creek fire was still going strong.
Spent the rest of the evening enjoying the views from the ridge. We saw a couple of lightning bolts come from pyrocumulus clouds by the fire, which was pretty wild.
Sunset was incredible. The stars were even better. By 11pm though, the winds had shifted and the smoke blew in. We woke the next morning to hazy skies and humid temps. We retraced our steps and arrived back at the car just as the weekend crowds were arriving. up.gif

Tom, Bowregard, Brushbuffalo, Prosit, Snowdog, ozzy, Dave Weyrick, slave524, Nancyann, olderthanIusedtobe, HikingBex, RichP, neek  awilsondc
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostSat Jul 31, 2021 8:33 pm 
Nice trip off the beaten path! Thanks for the cool pics

Eric Eames
neek

neek
PostSat Jul 31, 2021 8:35 pm 
Nice (well, not the fire), is that a spotted solitary sandpiper?

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostSun Aug 01, 2021 9:14 pm 
Wonderful collection of pictures, Lauren!

fourteen410

fourteen410
PostTue Aug 03, 2021 6:18 pm 
neek wrote:
is that a spotted solitary sandpiper?
Hopefully one of our bird experts (Sculpin, perhaps?) can weigh in.

Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostTue Aug 10, 2021 7:03 am 
Wonderful glimpse of an area so close but surprisingly far from the maddening crowds.
fourteen410 wrote:
In the center of the picture of the north aspect of Baker there is a clean break between the north ridge ice and the snow/ ice slopes below. I've never seen that. This is further evidence of the rare, extreme melting on Baker above 9,000'.

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
Sculpin

Sculpin
PostTue Aug 10, 2021 7:52 am 
fourteen410 wrote:
Hopefully one of our bird experts (Sculpin, perhaps?) can weigh in.
Was it alone? wink.gif Are the legs yellow or olive? It is hard to tell for sure. It could be a Lesser Yellowlegs. The "bold" eye ring suggests the Solitary Sandpiper. Either way, an unusual sighting at a high lake here in Washington. So I guess I am not sure. confused.gif Sandpipers are hard!

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir