Forum Index > Trail Talk > Pincer Creek Fire in Glacier Peak Wilderness
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
HikingBex

HikingBex
PostTue Aug 10, 2021 10:01 am 
Several trail closures (including popular Hidden Lake Lookout trail) off of Cascade River Rd due to the Pincer Creek Fire: https://www.facebook.com/MtBakerSnoqualmieNF/photos/a.469240823106798/4576738545690318/ "The Pincer Fire, located 18 air miles east southeast of the Marblemount community in the Glacier Peak Wilderness, is currently estimated at 15 acres in size... While fire growth has been limited on these fires, a warming and drying trend is predicted for the later part of the week which may lead to some additional fire spread in extremely steep and rugged terrain. Updates will be provided if significant fire activity occurs. ... Closures: The Mt. Baker Ranger District Cascade River Trail, the Middle Fork Cascade Trail and South Fork Cascade Trail are closed to the public due to their proximity to the Pincer Creek Fire. The Sibley Creek Road and Hidden Lake Trail are not currently threatened by the fire, but are closed to allow firefighters to staff the lookout to support fire operations. This closure order is effective Aug 9. 2021 until rescinded: www.fs.usda.gov/alerts/mbs/alerts-notices" (edited the quote to only include info for this fire, but there is also info about some other smaller fires in MBSNF in that post)
It's not entirely clear to me where the fire actually is - anyone know? Curious if Cascade Pass/Sahale/Eldorado area will be affected

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
philfort

philfort
PostTue Aug 10, 2021 10:12 am 
I think it's on the west side of Johannesburg, south of Pincer Creek. Looks like it's at around 4500ft on the edge of a previously burned area.

HikingBex
Bowregard

Bowregard
PostTue Aug 10, 2021 10:18 am 
I probably should have created a new post for this but I posted it in The Cascade River Rd Closed thread: PostFri Aug 06, 2021 8:52 am If that fire on the SW side of Johannesburg gets any more traction that washout is not going to matter for a long time. It looks like it is less than 2 miles East of the Cascade River Road. Hopefully, the rain will slow it down. https://apps.sentinel-hub.com/sentinel-playground/?source=S2&lat=48.464072005162556&lng=-121.14817142486572&zoom=14&preset=1-NATURAL-COLOR&layers=B01,B02,B03&maxcc=100&gain=1.0&gamma=1.0&time=2021-02-01%7C2021-08-05&atmFilter=&showDates=false The sentinal image is from 8/5 so hopefully the rain slowed it down a lot. The terrain rises up towards the North and East and there are rocky areas in those directions but it appears to me (no expert) like this one could be tough to deal with before the rains come.

HikingBex
HikingBex

HikingBex
PostTue Aug 10, 2021 10:30 am 
Thank you both - hoping they can get it under control quickly, especially ahead of the heat wave later this week

Fletcher

Fletcher
PostTue Aug 10, 2021 11:22 am 
Out of all the fires started with the lightning last week, I thought this fire had the best chance to be completely extinguished by the rain this past weekend. I was hoping for a trip or two up Cascade River Road yet this year. It’ll be interesting to see how it all plays out.

HikingBex

HikingBex
PostFri Aug 13, 2021 4:16 pm 
For anyone interested, I'm seeing reports on facebook that NCNP is going to close Cascade River Rd at MP 15 today and will not be issuing backcountry permits in the Cascade River drainage due to this fire. Don't see anything about it on their website, but they're e-mailing people who have backcountry permits for the area:

philfort

philfort
PostFri Aug 20, 2021 10:27 am 
Apparently now there's a moraine lake fire too? Shows up on a couple of the maps I've seen.

Bowregard

Bowregard
PostFri Aug 20, 2021 10:44 am 
If you click on the sentinal link from my post above then switch the date to 8/13 and pan North you will see the smoke from a fire just North of Moraine Lake just over the ridge. If you then change the date to 8/18 you can see the burned area near Moraine Lake but the smoke is gone. If you then pan back to Pincer Creek you can also see the extent of that fire on 8/18 as well. It grew quite a bit. Today's heat map matches up closely to the smoke in the sentinal 8/18 image. Just a bit of heat on the NW side of the burned area and more on the SE side

Bowregard

Bowregard
PostFri Sep 03, 2021 2:48 pm 
Good clear image from sentinal yesterday shows no smoke on either Pincer Creek or Moraine Lake. I haven't seen any smoke from Moraine lake in quite awhile. Looks like the fire stopped (or at least slowed) just South of Pincer Creek. I know these fires can smolder in cool/wet weather for a long time but it looks like this one is staying put for the time being.