Forum Index > Trail Talk > Search Underway for Missing Backpacker Olympic National Park 08/06/21
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Sculpin

Sculpin
PostTue Aug 10, 2021 8:38 am 
RumiDude wrote:
My rule was to never let the last person get too far behind by stopping and waiting till I saw them coming.
And then I see you stopped, and I have to stop because I am DONE breathing the dust you kick up!* rant.gif *My last two hikes were Mt. Adams and Mt. Margaret, I'm still hacking up volcanic ash.

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Sculpin

Sculpin
PostTue Aug 10, 2021 10:43 am 
Olympic Hiker wrote:
That was my guess, that she took the way trail towards Mt. Steele. I almost thought it was the trail and met someone who did hike it for a ways thinking it was the official Skokomish trail.
While we were yammering like Pharisees, Olympic Hiker was busy reverse-engineering the mistake that the hiker made. ace.gif

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
Slide Alder Slayer

Slide Alder Slayer
PostTue Aug 10, 2021 11:17 am 
One problem that she appears to have had was no navigation tools to orient herself to the correct trail. This is not uncommon with informal groups but contradicts my training with the Mountaineers and I’m sure NOLS and other outdoor training organizations that require all members of a group to carry the 10 essentials. Be that as it may this was not that type of outing, the behavior appears to be more informal, not an organized group where before the start the route is laid out and procedures are discussed.