Forum Index > Gear Talk > Backpack advice
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Aug 13, 2020 11:10 pm 
Go to rei with all your gear and the food you will need for the longest trip you envision. Load candidate packs with the gear and food and 2 liters of water. Walk around the store for 10 minutes and then try the next candidate.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Aug 13, 2020 11:44 pm 
Not sure if other packs have this feature, but Gregory packs have a sternum strap that is adjustable up or down. Just as others have mentioned, fit is the most important thing, so you really should try them on first, just like boots.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Aug 10, 2021 10:08 pm 
I recently bought an old REI pack from a friend for 20 bucks, just tried it with about 30 lbs on a 2 night planned trip, and I must say that it feels like nothing on my back. It rides perfectly just above my hips, has a good back pad and no weight on my shoulders. It totally feels like it was custom made for me. There is no identifiable tags except for the REI label. Anyone recognize this type of pack? It looks to be around 55 liters and has very sturdy fabric and zippers, kind of reminds me of a McHale. It also has just one main compartment and a lower sleeping bag compartment which is actually big enough for my bag and pad.
Looking at it again, seems like it is missing maybe an attachable compartment on the back below the REI tag?

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Bosterson

Bosterson
PostWed Aug 11, 2021 12:50 am 
slugsworth wrote:
Your website is subtitled " the easiest way to choose the right backpack" Not to be too snarky, but it seems a little odd you are looking for backpack advice. . . specifically what advice are you looking for??
Um.... So isn't the original post spam? Sure looks like spam. (New account, one immediate nondescript post about gear with a signature link to a website about gear. Driving traffic to the website...) Any admins able to check the location of that post's IP address? Guessing it's probably not actually Santa Clara... Also, sweet vintage 80s-early 90s REI pack, Chief Joseph. smile.gif

Go! Take a gun! And a dog! Without a leash! Chop down a tree! Start a fire! Piss wherever you want! Build a cairn! A HUGE ONE! BE A REBEL! YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE! (-bootpathguy)
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat Aug 14, 2021 6:19 pm 
Dude. Dan McHale. Custom packs in Seattle. I own four of them. Best packs period!

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
jenkysc

jenkysc
PostFri Aug 12, 2022 9:12 am 
I finally retired my osprey pack and went with a ULA circuit for multiday hikes and a hyperlight 2400 for my day hikes. Both are superlight and work well for what I need to pack.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Aug 12, 2022 12:44 pm 
I tried my friend's ULA pack a few years ago and I liked it pretty well, wish I could find a good price used one. I am so done with carrying heavy weight, no more than 25 lbs max for me from now on, shouldn't be an issue since the most I plan to do is 3 night 4 day trips. Looking for recommendations for a pack that I might find used from say a few years ago, want to keep it under 2.5 lbs empty. Probably a 50-55 liter pack.

jenkysc

jenkysc
PostFri Aug 12, 2022 2:04 pm 
I know you can find a lot of Osprey pack used. But the problem that I find with them is that they tend to be on the heavier side. I have an Osprey Atmos 65L and it weights almost 5lbs and didn't fit me well. My buddy has a Exos 48L and it between 2-3lbs and he loves it. I looked on craigslist and there seem to be a lot of Osprey Packs for sale. Currently there is a used ULA Circuit on ebay but it's still kind of pricey. https://www.ebay.com/itm/195273108204?hash=item2d772f2aec:g:dL0AAOSwhx9i8IBt

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Aug 12, 2022 4:42 pm 
Not a fan of Osprey packs, never tried one they just appear to be made for girls. cool.gif

jenkysc

jenkysc
PostFri Aug 12, 2022 5:07 pm 
lol.gif

PowderPawn
Candidate

PowderPawn
Candidate
PostFri Aug 12, 2022 10:59 pm 
I have had my Kelty for 20 years and would recommend their stuff for 5600+ volume packs.