Forum Index > Trip Reports > Sloan Peak 07-10-2021
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Mark Hadland
#thehad

Mark Hadland
#thehad
PostSat Aug 14, 2021 3:32 pm 
Delayed Trip Report and Story for Sloan Peak - Climbed 07-10-2021 https://hikingwithhadland.com/2021/07/13/sloan-peak-07-10-2021/
Eyeing the crevasse on the upper slope of the glacier
Eyeing the crevasse on the upper slope of the glacier
Super climbing collab up Sloan Peak between #hikingwithhadland and The Dirt Bauguette aka Mel Fernandes, http://www.thedirtbaguette.com/ who planned and led an amazing trip. Mel is a great leader, climber, and I had one of my best alpine experiences with her and her crew on this outing! Sloan is an amazing peak and the corkscrew route is epically beautiful. Quick TR for crevasse beta. The route in good shape. From the snowfield, you will want to ascend straight up and keep right, traverse directly below a large rock formation, zig-zag a few times to avoid the lower smaller crevasses, and just below the large one which opens (the main one in normal years I am told) keep just below it, use 2-4 pickets to secure and it should go just fine. The snow was in great condition. Everything felt solid on the snow. The corkscrew is completely snow-free to the summit scramble. Download our GPX from peakbagger.com for more details. Other notes – Bugs – it was sultry, still, and humid. Bring spray and netting. Tons of blowdowns – terrible – I personally despise them as do my knees, the schwack from Bedal creek is legit (similar to Sorcery from the creek to Horseshoe Lake) – lots of pink flagging, but on the descent, keep traversing right as the tendency is to go straight down – as you see from our track we kelp losing the flagged route. I would advise long pants and a long-sleeved top. Blessedly the boulders open at 5000 feet to a beautiful alpine meadow traverse, to the saddle connecting with Cougar Creek – beautiful sub-alpine heather meadows and rock to gently ascend to the snowfields and glacier – last running water around 6000 feet from snowmelt – fill up or melt above. Snow ends after the glacier traverse at 7000 feet. Beautiful crevasses. Super airy walk up the corkscrew – one of the coolest trails I have hiked in the PNW. Scramble is fun, relatively “easy” with good holds – dirt is loose in places so watch your footing, especially on the descent. A couple of “exposed” moves to get to the summit – but good ledges and handholds make it manageable. Straight forward descent to a beautiful afternoon setting sun and amazing scenery. And now for my story. Mel plans a series of climbs with folks from many different social and climbing circles. We had a team of 8 in our crew – Mel, Jamie, Ethan, Jesse, Shannon, Enji, Benson, and myself. I was fortunate to be considered for this trip, maybe because I have swag, or unintentionally leave gear on mountains – a treasure trove of kit for those lucky enough to find my lost items. However I had a conundrum as Mel is very selective, and I did not want to leave my main climbing partner Benson behind, as we had just summited Adams the weekend prior and many other peaks this year, so I requested if Benson could join. Now realize Benson had recently completed some crevase rescue classes, and has more fresh skills in this domain than I do at present, so I thought he would be a great addition – plus it meant he and I would be a two person rope team (three is ideal) – so his skills and experience were paramount to mitigating risk on our climb (at least for me – if Benson fell, we would be screwed – not really, but somewhat). Upon arriving at the trailhead and setting up camp, we had a chance and surprise meeting with John Porter, aka #onehikeaweek – super fun to meet John finally on a trip. John opted for a more interesting route up and we re-met on the summit.
Nice to meet you John, with Benson Miller
Nice to meet you John, with Benson Miller
I’ve been a big fan of John Porter over the years. I first came across him on Washington Trails Association and his many prolific trip reports as johnwporter, and finally connected the dots with his other online presence – One Hike a Week, https://onehikeaweek.com/. Like many accomplished mountaineers, John is very humble, and very accomplished, summiting the Bulgers – the list of the tallest 100 mountains in Washington State as a benchmark, the T200 – the 200 tallest mountains with 400 feet of prominznce, etc. Let’s just say it was serendipitous and fun to finally meet someone you highly respect in a field of passion and pursuits. There are others here on NWHIKERS.NET I hope to meet and climb with someday. As we settled in for the evening, Mel planned a 3:30 AM wake up and 4:30 AM hard start as there was another group of climbers at the trailhead, planning a 5AM start and we wanted to get a head start and not follow them up the mountain. Most folks opted to camp in their cars. Benson and I would not fit in the 4Runner, so we pitched a tent with a plush 4″ mattress and ample sleeping beds and quilts – two from Montbell, our current favorite gear provider. I figured I may get 5 hours of sleep. Benson snores. After 1 hour of restless sleep, the 3:30 AM alarm sounded. Terrible. I do not climb particularly well with lack of sleep, but it is what it is. Fortunately, I brewed several cups of coffee the day before which remained warm in the thermos, so at least we had a somewhat civilized start. We hit the trail at 4:45 AM. John joined us for the initial hike as he planned a more direct route up the south face and planned to meet us at the summit. We moved at a fast pace out of the gate, in warm and humid weather – I was sweating profusely, especially with the pace. We followed the trail along Bedal Creek and were moving through terrain that alternated between canopied forest with many large cumbersome blowdowns and thick salmonberry foliage which obscured our footing and led to few stumbles on my part.
This was a fast crew, led by Benson, then myself, and I was struggling to keep pace. After a mile and a half and a few times on my face in the dirt after finding hidden rocks on the trail, I opted to take a break as the others passed me by. After a couple of minutes, I heard voices, presumably from the other climbing party and thought I had better get moving or Mel would get on me for letting the other group catch up. I was pleasantly surprised to see Mel and Ethen. They joined me at a more civilized pace for the temperature and grade, and we made our way to the uphill cutoff for the bushwhack – aka The Schwack! The Schwack The Schwack is off-trail route through bushes, forest, foliage, blowdowns, and all manner of trip-inducing fun. We were fortunate in that Mel has done this route previously, we also downloaded a GPS navigation route from another party's trip last week, and some kind soul flagged the route with pink survey tape. The path was roughly 1500 vertical feet of steep boot path, often on loose dirt, and through thick brush.
After nearly two hours of Schwacking, we finally saw Sloan Peak peering through the trees and came out on the boulder field, above the Schwack line and into the open. The only drawback was that the bugs were out in full force. We applied bug spray, donned netting, and swatted away!
Sloan appears
Sloan appears
The blessed boulders and the end of the Schwack
The blessed boulders and the end of the Schwack
Buggy boulders
Buggy boulders
Runrise
Runrise
Destination
Destination
Alpine Meadow Traverse
Alpine Meadow Traverse
We traversed across the alpine meadow and made our way up to a small tarn and saddle to the lower sub alpine slopes of Sloan Peak. The terrain changed dramatically into dwarf Western Mountain Hemlock and rock slabs carpeted with mountain heathers. The beginning of the snowfields were visible and we found water sources. Glacier Peak was also now visible, and it felt as though we were finally in the stages of a proper alpine climb.
Approaching the saddle between Bedal and Sloan
Approaching the saddle between Bedal and Sloan
Tarn
Tarn
Tarn
Tarn
Alpine Slopes
Alpine Slopes
Glacier Peak
Glacier Peak
Snow slopes
Snow slopes
View of upward slopes
View of upward slopes
Water source
Water source
Vista of Glacier Peal
Vista of Glacier Peal
More Glacier Peak
More Glacier Peak
Glacier Peak – who knew I’d climb it the next week with Jamie Wise!
Glacier Peak – who knew I’d climb it the next week with Jamie Wise!
Glacier Peak and alpine meadows
Glacier Peak and alpine meadows
Slabby rocks
Slabby rocks
thehad and Benson
thehad and Benson
Heather meadows
Heather meadows
View of the saddle we crested
View of the saddle we crested
It was at this point we switched into mountaineering boots, in anticipation of the climb to come. Glacier Climb
Climbing up the first snowfield
Climbing up the first snowfield
Suncups
Suncups
Snow fields
Snow fields
Climbing the rock
Climbing the rock
More rock
More rock
Glacier Peak in the distance - little did I know I would have the opposite view the following week
Glacier Peak in the distance - little did I know I would have the opposite view the following week
Views
Views
Lower glacier
Lower glacier
View of the route
View of the route
Glacier
Glacier
View of Sloan and glacier route
View of Sloan and glacier route
Staging to assemble the rope teams
Staging to assemble the rope teams
Benson roping up
Benson roping up
Ascending to the main crevasse
Ascending to the main crevasse
View from upper glacier
View from upper glacier
#thehad trekking across the glacier
#thehad trekking across the glacier
Rope team
Rope team
Looking back
Looking back
Traversing below the crevasse - we used two pickets to secure the line
Traversing below the crevasse - we used two pickets to secure the line
Securing the route
Securing the route
More views of the crevasse and surrounding area
We finally finish the crevasses travel and get ready to ascend the corkscrew
Beginning of corkscrew with Glacier Peak in the background
Beginning of corkscrew with Glacier Peak in the background
Winding our way up
Winding our way up
Amazing trail
Amazing trail
Group shot
Group shot
Still climbing
Still climbing
Looking up at summit block
Looking up at summit block
Rounding the bend
Rounding the bend
Gendarme
Gendarme
Up the gully
Up the gully
Scrambling
Scrambling
Scrambling up
Scrambling up
Summit register
Summit register
Made it!
Made it!
Signing the register
Signing the register
Summit Views:
with John Porter who took a more "interesting" route up.
with John Porter who took a more "interesting" route up.
Proof
Proof
After spending about an hour at the summit, we began our descent. As usual, gravity plays in our favor and lends itself to a much faster pace downwards. The scramble route however is covered in loose dirt and can make for treacherous footing, so I took my time – mindful of my lack of sleep and fatigue and ensured I made it safely to the glacier.
Descending the gully
Descending the gully
More corkscrew
More corkscrew
Enjoying the views
Enjoying the views
Glacier Peak
Glacier Peak
Glacier Peak
Glacier Peak
Base of the corkscrew
Base of the corkscrew
Super views
Super views
Jamie reflecting upon the climb
Jamie reflecting upon the climb
We descended the summit block and corkscrew traverse and reassembled our rope teams for the descent of the glacier. We still had the crevasses to navigate. Fortunately, all the snow was firm and solid and we made it down without incident. I think this crease would be great to rappel down and practice crevasse rescue. It appeared to be about 100 feet down.
We made our way off of the glacier and snow and refilled our water bottles, removed crampons, and rope gear, and I enjoyed s short but fast glissade down the final snow slope. The sky was a bit hazy due to smoke from fires, but it created soft lighting which was great for photos.
Left to Right: Mount Forgotten, Whitehorse Mountain, Jumbo Mountain and Bedal Peak in the right foreground.
Left to Right: Mount Forgotten, Whitehorse Mountain, Jumbo Mountain and Bedal Peak in the right foreground.
Happy wrapping up an excellent alpine experience! Benson and I agree that this is one of our most complete and rewarding alpine climbs. It had a little something for everyone and one of the best groups of folks with whom to climb. Plus climbing with #thedirtbaguette and meeting #onehikeaweek are two Apex Experiences. This one went #1Louder!
Happy wrapping up an excellent alpine experience! Benson and I agree that this is one of our most complete and rewarding alpine climbs. It had a little something for everyone and one of the best groups of folks with whom to climb. Plus climbing with #thedirtbaguette and meeting #onehikeaweek are two Apex Experiences. This one went #1Louder!
Thanks for reading.  Cheers, #thehad
Thanks for reading. Cheers, #thehad

Schroder, Tom
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
silence

silence
PostSat Aug 14, 2021 8:12 pm 
Way cool ... love the pix and trip report. Big fan of our friend John as well. All you guys rock!

PHOTOS FILMS Keep a good head and always carry a light bulb. – Bob Dylan

Mark Hadland
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSat Aug 14, 2021 9:21 pm 
Bet the Sloan Glacier is “interesting” now. wink.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn

Mark Hadland
Schroder

Schroder
PostSun Aug 15, 2021 11:10 am 
No love for the Cougar Creek approach any more?

Mark Hadland
#thehad

Mark Hadland
#thehad
PostSun Aug 15, 2021 2:20 pm 
I did not plan the trip but appears more folk are using Bedal Creek - no creek crossing but the schwak is real.

Snowshovel

Snowshovel
PostSun Aug 15, 2021 3:05 pm 
I climbed both Sloan and Bedal in July of 1975 via Cougar Creek. How does the Bedal Creek approach to the Corkscrew work? Up the Bedal basin and north to the notch between Sloan and Bedal? Or something else?

Mark Hadland
#thehad

Mark Hadland
#thehad
PostSun Aug 15, 2021 3:15 pm 
Yes, there is a trail from Bedal that heads off along the river to an unknown destination - could be to an alternate more technical route up the SW slopes of Sloan. Here is my GPX: https://www.gaiagps.com/map/?loc=12.7/-121.3748/48.0562&pubLink=hn9bWj9NPqP7VOgPymDVKKfn&trackId=778d43eeff2417d4455345e41064d4d1