Forum Index > Trip Reports > Smoky Goat Rocks, 8/11-14
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Kenji

Kenji
PostMon Aug 16, 2021 10:35 am 
We planned a family annual trip, me and our daughters and their partners, this year to Goat Rocks and just three of us. We did a 4 day loop from Goat Ridge TH in clockwise direction, Goat Lake, Old Snowy, Cispus Basin, Sheep Lake, Nanny Ridge down to Walupt Lake, then 7A. Total of 40 mi over 12k' in 4 days, it seems to get harder every year to keep up with younger members confused.gif Our 1st day was clear, then got smokey for the rest of the trip, saw only one goat but bunch of rocks at least. We started marching on Snowgrass Flat trail expecting a sigh for Goat Ridge trail. When we saw a bridge, we realized our mistake (mostly mine) and turned 180 back to the TH. This AM warm-up exercise added 4 miles to our 1st day. We were hoping to camp in Lily Basin, but stopped in Jordan Basin for the night. It is a lovely spot for camping though it may not be as vast as some other options. The night sky was still clear, I'm glad I didn't' put off night photos.
39.3 mi, range: 3346' to 7832' gross: +12359' -12353'
39.3 mi, range: 3346' to 7832' gross: +12359' -12353'
Same Milky Way everytime!
lights from Olympia?
lights from Olympia?
panorama attempt, but arches too high
panorama attempt, but arches too high
2Day, Hawkeye, Goat Lake, then a PCT camp, skipped buggy Alpine Camp:
Lily Basin w/ smoky Rainier
Lily Basin w/ smoky Rainier
many giant flying ants on the summit
many giant flying ants on the summit
After setting up our camp and a short nap, headed for water hunt toward Old Snowy:
pretty smokey, stopped a bit short of the summit
pretty smokey, stopped a bit short of the summit
Day 3, Cispus Basin, Sheep Lake, all the way to Walupt Lake for a dip. Next time I'd camp at Cispus Basin then turn around back down to Goat Flat TH, skipping Sheep Lake, 7A, maybe just a day hike to Sheep Pass.
Klickitat Basin with southern peaks above
Spent smoky hot afternoon down to the busy lake, found one remaining camp site for our last night. 7A trail was a bit confusing at times especially on Garmin map showing non-existing trail, stick with "newer" winding trail on Gaia/map-builder maps. Ours got wild after a river ford, maybe easier to follow going counter-clockwise. Over all, we had another wonderful trip with great alpine terrain and some unexpected adventures, and some now seasonal smokes.

jaysway, Pef, Bowregard, neek, awilsondc, RichP, InFlight  kite  HikingBex, Tom
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostMon Aug 16, 2021 11:00 am 
and here I thought this might be about some new psychedelic.... clown.gif Kenji...your photos are awesome as always. Looks like a good time was had. Keep posting those gorgeous pics!! up.gif cool.gif up.gif

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")
Kenji

Kenji
PostMon Aug 16, 2021 6:24 pm 
lookout bob wrote:
and here I thought this might be about some new psychedelic....
Corrected to be more reflective of our experience wink.gif

Bowregard

Bowregard
PostMon Aug 16, 2021 7:19 pm 
Beautiful photos Kenji, I find myself wishing you had clearer weather because if "Old Smokey" looks this good then your photos of "Old Snowy" would be spectacular. Thanks also for taking the "Split Rock" photo. My girls and I camped there on our trip back in Oct 2019 and it brought back great memories (for me at least - all they keep talking about was how funny it was that Pops froze his @$$ off because he didn't realize it was going to be 15 degrees and gale force winds up there). Sounds like you took the smokey trip and made lemonade out of it. We made a similar mistake with the trail and traversed from one parking lot to another before finding the Goat Ridge Trail.