Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Washington CCC History
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wheezer

wheezer
PostMon Dec 08, 2008 2:56 pm 
Saw this on Portland Hikers website:
Quote:
Oregon Experience "Civilian Conservation Corps" Mon., Nov. 3, 9p.m. OPB's first "Oregon Experience" show of the season is the Civilian Conservation Corps airing November 3 at 9pm and produced by Kami Horton. The show is a rich and engaging look at one of the most successful of the New Deal programs of the Great Depression. Several “CCC boys” tell their personal stories about life in the Corps and the impact it had on Oregon and their own lives. 2008 is the 75th Anniversary of the Civilian Conservation Corps, a New Deal program put in place by Franklin Roosevelt during the Great Depression. The CCC took unemployed, and often desperate, young men and put them to work doing rural conservation jobs. The CCC operated camps all over the country with dozens scattered throughout Oregon. Nationwide enrollees planted nearly 4 billion trees and became the first organized firefighting crews the same year the infamous Tillamook Burn broke out. Most of the money the boys earned was sent directly to their struggling families. For many of the ‘CCC boys’ the opportunity changed their lives and gave them a sense of pride. Today, in forest and parks around the state, Oregonians continue to enjoy the benefits of their work. Episode: #301, 28 minutes
Really interesting documentary. This link takes you to a page where you can watch the show online: http://www.opb.org/programs/oregonexperience/# Oregon Public Broadcasting has done a bunch of other "historical" pieces that are equally interesting and that can also be viewed online.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
HunterConservationist

HunterConservationist
PostWed Jan 07, 2009 9:50 am 
Snowshoe Hare wrote:
Why oh why can't we have something beneficial like the CCC in some form today? I'm a firm believer in some kind of national service being instituted to make a dent in the horrendous backlog of projects needing attention around this country.
Well you've changed from history to making a political statement when you advocate for a new CCC. I don't wish for one.

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostFri Jan 23, 2009 2:07 pm 
HunterConservationist wrote:
Well you've changed from history to making a political statement when you advocate for a new CCC. I don't wish for one.
HC, Why not? I'll bet that there is a grey area here in History Forum that would allow you to explain. Or you could go to Stewardship and express your opinion. I'm sincerely looking forward to hearing it. See; 'New Politics New money' thread in Stewardship forum and sound off. (It's legal there).

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
Bowregard

Bowregard
PostFri Aug 06, 2021 11:02 am 
I know this is an old thread but I just ran across it and remembered a good friend of mine who went to work in the Youth Conservation Corps (YCC). This was in the early 1980s and my understanding was it was a National Park Service Program loosely modeled after the CCC. I remember he worked out of Newhalem, Moran State Park, and few locations in Oregon as well. They provided lodging, meals, training, and wages and worked on various park projects that involved felling trees, clearing brush, building rough structures, etc. He really enjoyed it because he gained skills and experience for job applications and access to a lot of regional areas he otherwise might never have seen. He moved around to a lot of different areas and spent 2-3 years in the program and I believe it was year-round. I searched and found what looks like a scaled down version of the same program here: https://www.nps.gov/subjects/youthprograms/ycc.htm It looks like it is just a summer program for 15-18 year old's now (he was about 19-23 when in the program). The strong job market for younger folks (and demographic trends) would probably not make it a very attractive right now but it is too bad that program (or something like it) was not maintained over the years. High school graduates don't all fit well in the college, trades, or military options available to them and there are some who want to take time off before taking the next step. It that seems like it might be a good fit. Not trying to turn this into a political discussion but does anybody know if there are any programs like this still in existence?

Carbonj

Carbonj
PostSat Aug 21, 2021 9:42 am 
There is the WCC program in this state, 18 to 25 year olds that get paid minimum wage with a scholarship award. Its part of AmericaCorps. They work thru the Dept of Ecology.Good program. I worked NPS trailcrew for years and the WCC crews were great group of kids. The YCC is younger and not as motivated. The NPS would pay certain amount for these crews, WCC was a good deal , YCC meh.

Bowregard
Bowregard

Bowregard
PostSun Aug 22, 2021 3:13 pm 
Hmmm... That sounds more like the program my buddy was in. I will check it out. At this point I am just curious but I remember how positive he was about the program and it stuck in my mind.

Dick B

Dick B
PostSat Aug 28, 2021 8:36 pm 
I spent my first of 2 summers that I worked on the USFS Quilcene District, lodged in the old CCC camp on Penny Ck just outside of town. Does anyone have any information as what projects this camp worked on? Pictures, camp layout etc. When I was in residence there in '54 there were 2 buildings still standing. One was the cook house and mess hall. Across the road was a bunk house. It had a day room with a ping pong table, and individual rooms. I'm sure a rest room and showers also. Actually it was a pretty good layout. The 2nd summer we bunked in a refurbished horse barn west of town. Kitchen and eating downstairs and open sleeping quarters upstairs in the original hay loft. Curious if that old barn/bunkhouse is still there. I was thru Quil several years back and the original ranger station was still there and looked like it had been converted into a residence.

NicoleH
Nicole

NicoleH
Nicole
PostMon Sep 05, 2022 10:44 pm 
I live there [img:mg4ph]IMG_20220904_183106215.jpg ⏱️[❌] =