Forum Index > Trail Talk > Pros/cons of spinning reel on fly rod?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Noheaperture
Nohea

Noheaperture
Nohea
PostMon Aug 23, 2021 1:04 pm 
I primarily only fly fish mountain lakes but recently this summer been packing in a cheap spinning rod combo with good success on rooster tail/spoons when fish aren’t hitting dry/streamer presentations. Of course bushwhacking off trail lakes with a single piece spinning rod has resulted in a couple broken ones and would prefer to slap my spinning reel on a fly rod to avoid that. Curious what others experiences are with flyrods paired with a lightweight spinning reel are? Do others prefer longer rods in the 9-10 ft range or is casting easier on a shorter ~7.5 foot rod (3wt as an example).

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostMon Aug 23, 2021 2:26 pm 
Years ago I was determined to only catch mountain fish on a fly rod/reel as the experience always appealed to me more. I eventually switched to a fly rod with a spinning reel and sometimes I drag both reel types with me depending on the lake. I probably use the spinning reel 75% of the time - 4-piece rod, 5wt, 8'. It's hard to beat the efficiency of a spinning reel set-up when trying to find fish in a lake where they're not constantly showing and when hitting deeper water. The only negative I've found is that some spinning reels don't seat perfectly in some fly rods, but I've found that pretty easy to get around with some DIY improvements to the reel base.

Noheaperture
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Aug 23, 2021 3:54 pm 
On a recent trip I brought just the fly rod and reel and my partner brought just a spin rod and reel...so there was very little surface activity. So he caught nice fish and I did not, luckily he was the sharing type and we each enjoyed fresh trout for dinner. Strength in numbers. Not going again without a spinning real also.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Bowregard

Bowregard
PostMon Aug 23, 2021 4:45 pm 
I always found a spinning reel on a fly rod to be awkward to manage. Open faced reels work great with a fly rod for casting but the balance always seems a bit off to reel in the line or a fish. That being said backpacking is all about compromises and if I wanted to flyfish and spin I would take a flyrod. I might even take a flyrod anyway if I figured I needed the length or if it was lighter weight.

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostTue Aug 24, 2021 12:51 am 
POWERBAIT is the way to go. Gotta get into usin POWERBAIT. Put a big wad of BAIT on there. Big wad of POWERBAIT. Old saying back in the day "if you're lookin to eat, go with POWERBAIT."

Noheaperture, mosey
Gregory

Gregory
PostTue Aug 24, 2021 6:53 am 
Fast action flyrods work better with spin casting but it can be more difficult to keep a pissed off rainbow pinned to a barbless hook. I found that the little ultra light 500 series reels do not cast as well as a 1000 series. The spools are too small and combine that with the fly guides it makes for a bunch of drag on the line headed out. I have gone the opposite direction and adapted my spinning rod to nymphing but I am mostly a stream river guy. I use small strike indicators from the Fly shop as bobbers and bead head jigs I mean flys imitating a Caddis fly larvae or periwinkle. essentially jig fishing bead head caddis ultra light. works great. hope this helps.

Noheaperture
Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostTue Aug 24, 2021 7:12 am 
I’ve been fishing with a spinning reel on a fly rod since the 1970s (I was pretty young). I use a 9’ 5wt. I would not go with anything less than 5 or 6 pieces. The entire rod should be able to fit inside your pack so it won’t catch on brush and you can save the weight of a rigid case.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch

Noheaperture
altasnob

altasnob
PostTue Aug 24, 2021 10:28 am 
If you want a real challenge, and want something light and minimalist, try tenkara. Most tenkara poles are telescopic and there is no reel.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Aug 24, 2021 11:04 am 
Brian Curtis wrote:
I’ve been fishing with a spinning reel on a fly rod since the 1970s (I was pretty young). I use a 9’ 5wt. I would not go with anything less than 5 or 6 pieces. The entire rod should be able to fit inside your pack so it won’t catch on brush and you can save the weight of a rigid case.
I agree, after tearing the tip off one rod going through brush, I bought a 6 piece packable item from Cabellas, it comes with a soft and hard case. Retail was 150 a few years ago, waited for the sale of about 100. Very nice, high quality item.
altasnob wrote:
If you want a real challenge, and want something light and minimalist, try tenkara. Most tenkara poles are telescopic and there is no reel.
I have one of those but have never used it, maybe next trip. I tied some floating fly line to the tip of mine.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostTue Aug 24, 2021 12:30 pm 
There are some rods that all for the lower handle to be removed for fry casting. I am a spinner guy so not of much help.

Noheaperture