Forum Index > Gear Talk > How to fix my old tent?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Brucester

Brucester
PostMon May 02, 2016 12:53 pm 
Tenacious Tape Rules! rocker.gif I just fixed a "8 torn seam on my Dana Urban Pack I use all the time with Tenacious Tape. Hope it does the trick because I'm not a big fan of sewing. The repair was on the top where you pull a cord to cinch it closed. It gets a lot of use and I'm usually overloading it with groceries.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Aug 23, 2021 12:43 pm 
So I have an old (10 years?) Mountain Hardware tent. I have had it quite a while but only used it a hand full of times, bought it used but it was in great shape and very lightly used and has been stored inside. Problem, went backpacking and decided to start using it some. So it began raining lightly on the first night and the rainfly began leaking and NOT on the seams. From my google searches it sounds like spraying it with something like Camp Dry aerosol would not work? I considered buying a 9' x 10' silnylon tarp to use as a rain fly and also it would save weight. Found some on Ebay for about $80 which is a bit more than I want to pay so might just look for a replacement tent.Thoughts?

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Franco

Franco
PostTue Aug 24, 2021 4:11 pm 
Those spray cans usualy only have 2-3 oz of silicon or similar waterproofing agent and may not be enough to do a full tent. I suggest you take a look at the liquid version : https://www.atsko.com/silicone-water-guard-1-gallon/ but make sure you wash the fly well (and let it dry) before you apply it.

Chief Joseph
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Aug 24, 2021 6:37 pm 
If I was going to try to replace the waterproof coating on a tent rain fly or floor, I would do what worked well on my "lift served" ski pants when the butt started leaking during wet days at Snoqualmie Pass. Materials Denatured alcohol Rubber gloves Clean rags GE Silicone II clear caulking Mineral Spirits disposable stirring stick Desposable bristle paint brush. 1 pint Plastic containers (old yogurt or cottage cheese, cleaned out) Stretch out fabric section to be coated on smooth surface, secure with clamps or rocks. Rub fabric to be waterproofed with denatured alcohol soaked rags while wearing the rubber gloves. Let alcohol fully evaporate Squeeze silicone caulking into plastic container, no more than 1/8 full. Add an equal amount of mineral spirits Stir until uniform texture. Continue adding mineral spirits until the mixture is thin enough to be easily paintable. Paint onto fabric to be waterproofed. Enclose remaining mixture and brush inside plastic bag and seal shut. Reserve for next section. Allow to dry until next day. Repeat over next section of fabric, re-thin the mixture with mineral spirits as needed.

Chief Joseph
Franco

Franco
PostWed Aug 25, 2021 8:44 pm 
What you describe there is the DIY version of the Atsko stuff. A lot cheaper but it is very difficult to get as high dilution as Atsko does and still get an even but very light and non "sticky" coat. Some have even used a paint spray gun with the home made version .

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Aug 25, 2021 10:21 pm 
Franco wrote:
What you describe there is the DIY version of the Atsko stuff
Which Atsko product are you referring to ? All the Atsko products I've used are some form of silicone water repellent that does a good job of getting water to bead up and roll off while remaining highly breathable. However no Atsko product I'm aware of results is a completely water and air tight fabric. The silicone caulking procedure I've used results in a material similar to Silnylon, e.g. Silicone Impregnated Nylon. Which is completely waterproof and not breathable at all. Which is what you want for a tent rainfall, tent floor, of the seat of your pants while riding ski lifts in the rain at Snoqualmie pass.

Franco

Franco
PostThu Aug 26, 2021 3:12 pm 
read the post before your first comment.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Aug 26, 2021 5:36 pm 
Franco wrote:
read the post before your first comment.
Have you actually ever used that Water Guard? ( from you link above https://www.atsko.com/silicone-water-guard-1-gallon/) I have used "Water Guard" in the spray can -- the marketing pitch for the spray can and the 1 gallon are the same and includes the following text
Quote:
It restores factory waterproofing but still allows materials to breathe.
I find Water Guard to be useful for adding water repellency to items like wind breakers or restoring repellancy to gore-tex outer garments -- however it doesn't result in 100% waterproof / impermeable fabric as is desirable for rainflys and tent floors.

Franco

Franco
PostThu Aug 26, 2021 5:57 pm 
I know someone that has used both the spray and the liquid on several tents. The liquid worked better. This from years agowhen the silnylon sold by Westmark (used by several US "cottage manufacturer" brands) was rated around 1200 to 1500mm. I have used the spray, works well at the start but I think it just rubs off with use. I think that the liquid version (not available here) soacks in. I tried making my own , did a floor and a fly (two different brand of tent) but both were still too thick for what I wanted. (can't remember exactly now but around 10:1 dilution)

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostThu Aug 26, 2021 7:11 pm 
My experience has been to just bite the bullet and get a new tent. The hassle is waaaaaaay too much and the results are mediocre at best. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Bowregard

Bowregard
PostThu Aug 26, 2021 8:40 pm 
I agree with Rumi - but save the old one and get it back out when the kiddo is old enough to need their own tent. You don't want to be lending them the new one to learn what happens when you don't take care of it after a trip wink.gif

Chief Joseph
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Aug 26, 2021 8:52 pm 
FWIW: The first response to the OP was essentially "buy a new tent"
Ski wrote:
right off the top of my head, I'd say time for a new tent.
But the OP was looking for a "fix it" solution.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Aug 26, 2021 9:23 pm 
My MH Skyledge 2 tent body is still in great shape, dual side entries, very roomy and the floor doesn't leak. Plus as I said it has been very lightly used, so I think it's worth the effort to save it, if for nothing else, as someone mentioned, as a backup-loaner-fair weather tent. Plus I have the time to fiddle with it. It only leaked in a couple of spots so It might not be too much of a challenge. I have a new tarp that came with my hammock, but it's a bit small to be able to buckle down in a storm with. So if anyone has a lightly used tarp they might want to sell, let me know. Need around a 10' x 10'. Next trip going to try the Hennesey Hammock, maybe I will switch and be a hammocker, who knows?

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Bowregard

Bowregard
PostThu Aug 26, 2021 9:40 pm 
Randito wrote:
But the OP was looking for a "fix it" solution.
OP wrote:
Maybe it's time for a new tent, I need a tent that is really waterproof for fall and winter camping in the rain forest. But I also need the tent to be tough since my kiddo is not easy on gear. I would get a new version of the same tent except they still make it with the horrible disintegrating window...
Yes - but it also appeared the OP was contemplating whether a new tent might be a better solution. I provided my opinion in favor of the latter and vailed justification/ reason to keep the old one too. This is a bit off-topic but when we started backpacking I bought a new tent. For some reason I kept my 40 year old Sierra 3P dome tent and then bought a North Face Pebble for $10 at the garage sale down the street. When my kids started asking to borrow a tent I offered to show them how to seal the seams and waterproof them both. The NF Pebble (2P) is heavy and small by today's standards but has lightweight poles that along with a third pole we found on the trail can replace the Sierra's heavy fiberglass poles so they had 3P or 2P options that stay dry and not unreasonably heavy. If they forgot to dry out the tent after a trip I didn't stress out and worry that my tent would be unavailable or unusable when I needed it. When they started working they bought their own tents and took care of them. It worked out great but I wish somebody had given me the idea back then because it was just dumb luck that I ran across the garage sale tent, kept the Sierra, and the poles fit both.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Aug 26, 2021 9:59 pm 
FWIW: The OP's tent is a Eureka Timberline 4P Outfitter edition. I used to have a Eureka Timberline 2P it was great for a couple decades -- but then one time when I took it out of storage -- it had a funny smell and upon inspection I found that the polyurethane coating on the floor and fly had undergone some sort of transformation and was peeling off in large chunks -- it had been 5 years since the tent was last used (sometimes caring for young children and letting them pursue their interests interferes with hiking plans). The nylon fabric itself was still in OK condition -- so I can appreciate the desire to "fix". The quick and easy way to deal with a leaking floor is call the "Fiery" method used by Joe and Joan Fiery -- when the floor starts to leak -- line the floor with a 1 mill plastic drop cloth, duct taped to edges of the floor. It's a 100% water proof. Unfortunatey there isn't a similar simple and light solution for dealing with a leaking rainfly.