Forum Index > Trail Talk > What is the most amount of gain you've done in a single day?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostFri Aug 27, 2021 1:12 pm 
This year has been an inflection point in my life. I started walking 6 miles most days and began hiking as much as I could. Previously 2,000' of gain on a trail came hard for me and now I can knock out 1,000' in a matter of minutes. I've been pushing the envelope further and further and now 4,000' days don't feel so hard anymore and I managed to cover 8,200' of gain over 16 miles yesterday which seems like a huge personal achievement. I'm sure those who practice mountaineering or ultrarunning probably see numbers that high or higher pretty often so it made me wonder -- What is the most gain you've done in a day?

Flickr | Strava

Cyclopath
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
SeanSullivan86

SeanSullivan86
PostFri Aug 27, 2021 2:24 pm 
5000-6000' a handful of times. Pugh, St Helens winter route, Hurricane Hill from the valley, Sahale, some multi-peak days in New Hampshire.

hapemask

hapemask
PostFri Aug 27, 2021 2:33 pm 
I’ve done ~6k in a day (at least according to Gaia) on the Carne Mountain high traverse. I find that, unsurprisingly, it’s way easier to do big elevation gain hikes over easy terrain. I’m always impressed by the TRs where people do big elevation gain over rough off-trail terrain, it gives me something to work towards.

Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostFri Aug 27, 2021 2:44 pm 
+- 5,000' in a day doing Mount Merritt (GNP, Mt) from a camp at Glenn's Lake. Same ascending Navajo Mountain (Utah) from Cliff Canyon.

Off trail rambler
rbuzby
Attention Surplus

rbuzby
Attention Surplus
PostFri Aug 27, 2021 3:06 pm 
My friend used to tell me how many "vertical feet" of skiing he did every time he went skiing. It was always thousands and thousands! But there's a chairlift, so.... whatever... I don't usually keep track but it might have been the day I climbed Cashmere twice. I got all the way down and realized I left my shovel on the summit. Went all the way back up and retrieved it. Gravity was much less powerful back then, more like on the moon. Hiking uphill was so much easier. I was young once.

Bowregard, Cyclopath
Shred

Shred
PostFri Aug 27, 2021 3:12 pm 
One of my biggest days was 18k of vert over 41 miles. The Painted Traverse to Glacier Peak and back to the car.

Cyclopath, zimmertr, Randy
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostFri Aug 27, 2021 3:58 pm 
9000+ with a day-climb of Rainier from Paradise.

zimmertr
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostFri Aug 27, 2021 4:24 pm 
It's not gain, but our party of four descended 17K in 17 hours coming down the Muldrow route on Denali. We were VERY eager to get off the glaciers!

Mid Fork Rocksflickr

zimmertr
Schroder

Schroder
PostFri Aug 27, 2021 5:11 pm 
puzzlr wrote:
It's not gain, but our party of four descended 17K in 17 hours coming down the Muldrow route on Denali. We were VERY eager to get off the glaciers!
Probably very close to the same for me coming down the West Buttress. I would guess my largest gain was Rainier from White River Campground, about 10k feet back when I was 20.

zimmertr
Bowregard

Bowregard
PostFri Aug 27, 2021 5:27 pm 
5,300 ft. I got talked into hiking up Pugh once. Typically I stay under 4K. I am like an old car - You can go 3,000-4,000 on an oil change but beyond that important things start to break down. smile.gif

Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostFri Aug 27, 2021 5:54 pm 
Most amount of gain in a single day?...Um, I remember a particular Thanksgiving dinner, followed by a food-induced coma....clown.gif Oh, different subject. Adams, a few times, is 6600' from Cold Springs and Hood, twice, is 5000+, and I routinely do/did Icicle 4th of July trail, which is 4800' gain. These days anything beyond 4000' gain and I end up getting in an argument with my knees rant.gif mainly because of that which goes up must come down. bawl.gif

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)

rbuzby
gb

gb
PostFri Aug 27, 2021 6:41 pm 
About three pounds, I'd guess. Maybe more when I was young. I used to go occasionally to all you could eat restaurants and try to run them out of business.

neek
Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostFri Aug 27, 2021 6:56 pm 
Last year I did 16,000' on a bike. But the downhills are way easier on the knees than hiking, so that's cheating.

Cyclopath, zimmertr
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Aug 27, 2021 7:54 pm 
Probably Whitney with 6,139’. Have done it 3 times also the Carne Mountain to Mt Maude whatever that is.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
jinx'sboy

jinx'sboy
PostFri Aug 27, 2021 8:16 pm 
A bit less than 6000’ - Mt Harvard (14414’) in the Collegiate Range in Colorado - from (almost) the valley bottom of the Arkansas River near Buena Vista. Jeez - 47 years ago, now!