Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Old Cabin at Lyman Lake
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Dick B

Dick B
PostSun Aug 22, 2021 10:14 am 
A several years back I contributed an article about a cabin that once was at Lyman Lake. My brother, dad and I used it back in the early 60s. I shared some photos of what was then a much larger Lyman glacier. Also a couple of shots of the cabin. The cabin, at that time, was used and maintained by the Chelan PUD. Snow survey crews would ski or snow shoe in during the winter, take snow samples, and over night at the cabin. It was left open for hikers passing through the area. The cabin was later abandoned by the PUD as they could helio their crews in and out in one day. No one was willing to keep it maintained so it fell into disrepair. I saw later pictures, and it was in sad shape. I have asked Lyman hikers to spend a little time looking for the site and share any findings. So far there have been no reports. The cabin was located between the trail and the creek. I would estimate it to be about 200 yards below the outlet. There might be the remnants of a trail to the site as the cabin was well used. The visitors log that was kept told of volunteers policing up debris around the cabin, so some remnants of beer cans , etc may still exist. If you go back to the "history" section - 9/18 you will find the thread titled "Cabin at Lyman Lake" by Dick B. My favorite quote of the day from the internet "At my age, my train of thought seems to leave the station without me being on board" :>)

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RichP

RichP
PostFri Aug 27, 2021 8:09 pm 
Here's the original post on the subject started by Dick B. It's an interesting read: https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8028241&highlight=lyman+lk+cabin+lake

Dick B

Dick B
PostMon Sep 20, 2021 12:37 pm 
Tom has supplied me with the information I needed to post a picture. This is my first attempt. The picture
attached is the remains of the old cabin at Lyman Lake. Considering it's state at the time of the picture, I can assume it is now history. sorry about the quality. I received the original via email as a picture of a Kodachrome slide, which I edited as best I could.

geyer, RodF, reststep
Faintclimberstrail

Faintclimberstrail
PostThu Jan 26, 2023 9:02 pm 
Here’s some film of the lyman glacier, lake and cabin that UW recently digitized! https://digitalcollections.lib.washington.edu/digital/collection/filmarch/id/838/