Forum Index > Trip Reports > Hoof Pk 8/28-29
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostMon Aug 30, 2021 5:55 pm 
Hoof Pk 7800' p1000 Glacier Pk Wilderness I have had Hoof Pk on my radar for a couple years, waiting for the right time to go. The forecast had to be almost perfect for this remote and seldom climbed peak a little East of Glacier Pk. I surely didn't want to waste the hopeful great summit views in clouds or a smokey haze. Everything thing lined up for a go at it this past weekend, I left my house early morning and drove to Trinity to hike the Buck Creek trail for my approach. I started hiking at 7:30am on the well maintained trail. After 5 or so miles, I ran into some familiar faces grabbing some water at a stream, it was Trace, Riley and Selena. We talked about our plans for the weekend, and they had some really nice peaks they were going for. Trace also helped me out with a decision I was thinking about, the high pass direct route. After his experience with it, and it's in an old burn, I decided I would not do it. Anyways, an easy and scenic trail to high pass could be quicker than a bushwhack although the mileage difference is ~6 miles more. So, I headed up to Buck Creek Pass but was stopped many times by the abundant amount of blueberries along the trail. I ate hundreds of them on my way to the alpine. After leaving Buck Creek Pass, I made my way towards high pass thru one of my favorite stretches of trail. Of course, Glacier Peak stood out.
dying flowers and Glacier
dying flowers and Glacier
There were several hikers doing the Little Giant/Buck Cr loop, I chatted with many as I headed towards the pass. The skies were awesome and so was the scenery. The traverse above Triad lake was surprisingly snow free. It's probably rare to be without snow since there is no sign of any plant life through the rocks and dirt. After the pass, I headed down the towards the Napeequa for a little ways. Some of the surrounding slopes were already turning red signaling that fall is coming quick. I left the trail at around 6000' to aim for the basin below Point 7775. I loaded up on water before I left the trail because I was worried I might not see any for a while.
dropping down a little towards the Napeequa
dropping down a little towards the Napeequa
meadows and mtns
meadows and mtns
fall colors
fall colors
To my surprise, I found running water in the basin and refilled before heading up the slopes to Pt 7775. I made a semi direct line on a heathery rib before it gave way to nice granite boulders. Not much scree as I headed up towards the Pt. Some 20' below the Pt, gave access to the other side and my first view of Hoof Pk. I had to drop all the way down to 6600' to the next saddle but the views kept getting better.
Hoof Pk
Hoof Pk
Butterfly glacier
Butterfly glacier
On my way down, I noticed a snow patch near the saddle that may also have water flowing from it. Once I got there, it did, and I filled up a couple bottles again knowing that I'd have enough for the rest of the day and could bivy somewhere on the Pk without a problem. Some soft pumice and heather slopes got me to the easy South ridge. On my way up, I looked for bivy spots but really didn't see anything good as I reached the outstanding summit views! It took me 8hrs and 15min from the TH to get here, It was worth the effort.
Moth lake below Neyah Pt
Moth lake below Neyah Pt
Kololo and the Honeycomb glacier
Kololo and the Honeycomb glacier
Napeequa river valley
Napeequa river valley
summit views!
summit views!
After a nice summit break, I saw the nice flat area about 400' down that I'd set up camp and enjoy the rest of the day do nothing. Usually, since I still had daylight left, I'd start heading back out to make the next day easier, but I really wanted the sunset and sunrise views from this location. Unfortunately, I only got the sunrise. I fell asleep before sunset and even though I set an alarm, I set it about 20 minutes too late. Oh well, I had some good sleep after a long day.
Hoof Pk from camp
Hoof Pk from camp
Bummed I missed the sunset, I woke very early to not miss the sunrise. Although I was packed up and ready to go by 530am, I stayed patiently for the morning colors. It was a great morning and I started hiking a little after 6:30 retracing my route all the way back to High pass.
alpenglow on TenPeak Mtn
alpenglow on TenPeak Mtn
morning is coming to the GPW
morning is coming to the GPW
light on Glacier
light on Glacier
The way up to Pt 7775 was good and so were the crisp views all around, I tagged the top wondering if a register might be there, but no, just like none on Hoof. I couldn't help but keep looking back at the Dakobad range, it was such a treat being up so close to it on this trip.
TenPeak and my camp was the flat area below
TenPeak and my camp was the flat area below
Glacier Peak
Glacier Peak
I headed down off of Pt 7775, and was soon eating more blueberries for breakfast on the main trail as hikers were already moving on to their next destinations. Another trudge up to high pass and good views where I heard my name called. Trace, Riley and Selena were leaving their camp for some summits. We talked a bit before going off our separate ways.
Pt 7775
Pt 7775
Selena taking in the view above Triad Lake
Selena taking in the view above Triad Lake
another look at Glacier
another look at Glacier
I made my way back to Buck Creek pass and back down the trail with no more stops for blueberries. They were good but it stalls progress a lot. I reached the TH at 12:45 happy with a super scenic trip. day1 19 miles 8200' elevation gain day 2 18.25 miles 3200' elevation gain 2 day total 37.25 miles 11400' elevation gain

Eric Eames

bubblehead, contour5, Prosit, Tom, Off Route Randy, Gimpilator, RichP, Brushbuffalo, Bluebird, neek, Dave Weyrick, rubywrangler, ozzy, GeoTom, reststep
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
awilsondc

awilsondc
PostMon Aug 30, 2021 6:39 pm 
Very nice! I'm really looking forward to heading back to that area, hopefully soon. Nice looking trip! But 37.25 miles... that's quite the wait for it waaaaaaait for it... hoof! lol.gif rotf.gif ykm.gif Ok, sorry, that's a horrible dad joke. Great report!

Off Route Randy, Bluebird, ozzy  Prosit, rubywrangler
iron

iron
PostMon Aug 30, 2021 7:23 pm 
nice. hoof was always at the top of trips to do for me too. pretty primo camp there on the pumice, though i'm sure you could've daytripped this chickenleg.gif those are rare views of those glaciers. looks like many of them won't be around in another 20 years when you go back for a repeat frown.gif

Bluebird
suffering optional

Bluebird
suffering optional
PostTue Aug 31, 2021 7:40 am 
It was great to see your smiling face TWICE in one trip! Your trip was spectacular!!

RichP

RichP
PostTue Aug 31, 2021 8:04 am 
That looks like a great bivy spot. up.gif

Stefan

Stefan
PostTue Aug 31, 2021 11:06 am 
Another amazing trip for you in the books! You gotta be in what I consider one of the best spots in Washington....the area dropping down into the Napeequa!

Art is an adventure.
contour5

contour5
PostTue Aug 31, 2021 11:40 am 
Really enjoyable TR, thanks for posting.

Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostTue Aug 31, 2021 2:40 pm 
Hoof Peak, named for hundreds, if not thousands of hoof prints found on the south ridge.

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostTue Aug 31, 2021 2:53 pm 
Thanks for the TR and beautiful photos, brings back good memories from a year ago. We were there just a few days later and the smoke rolled in, glad you didn’t have it this year. No snow up at High Pass except for a little snow finger this time last year either, I wonder if that will be the new norm?

neek

neek
PostTue Aug 31, 2021 3:01 pm 
Incredible views. So blueberries are your kryptonite? I knew there had to be something.

Fletcher

Fletcher
PostTue Aug 31, 2021 10:52 pm 
Hoof! I’m jealous of your bivy. I thought that would be the best place to sleep when we’re walked through there. Your times via Trinity are remarkable.

iron

iron
PostFri Sep 03, 2021 7:24 pm 
top 3 camp spot??? top 2?

raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostSat Sep 04, 2021 12:49 pm 
iron wrote:
top 3 camp spot??? top 2?
Yeah, top notch for sure! Right up there with perfect pass, character and silent lakes

Eric Eames

RichP
ozzy
The hard way

ozzy
The hard way
PostSat Sep 04, 2021 9:04 pm 
Never even heard of Hoof. I was wondering what peak that was when we were at little giant pass. It lies at the head of the valley. Looks freakin great man! Awesome trip as usual and cheers! rocker.gif

“I don’t know what’s gonna happen, but I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames”-Mr Mojo Risin