Forum Index > Trail Talk > Trail Running: A Perspective
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
pula58

pula58
PostMon Aug 30, 2021 4:08 pm 
I just think Trail running is dangerous for the trail runner. Break an ankle way back in the backcounty and have to spend the night out, in the open, without adequate warm/dry clothing, and it could spell ones demise. I see the trail running folk, almost always with tiny packs with next to nothing in them (water, energy food?). Not very wise IMHO.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostMon Aug 30, 2021 4:19 pm 
pula58 wrote:
I see the trail running folk, almost always with tiny packs with next to nothing in them (water, energy food?).
My Salomon ADV Skin 12 running vest can carry 3-3.5 liters of water, a filter & dirty water bag, an InReach, an emergency blanket, a few thousand calories of food and electrolytes, hiking poles, a headlamp, an emergency kit containing a SAM splint, bandages, super glue, tourniquet, CPR Mask, etc.

Flickr | Strava

Walkin' Fool, dave allyn, Cyclopath
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Aug 30, 2021 4:40 pm 
Looks like a Life Jacket and I suppose it essentially is. ^

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.

zimmertr
pula58

pula58
PostMon Aug 30, 2021 4:48 pm 
zimmertr wrote:
pula58 wrote:
I see the trail running folk, almost always with tiny packs with next to nothing in them (water, energy food?).
My Salomon ADV Skin 12 running vest can carry 3-3.5 liters of water, a filter & dirty water bag, an InReach, an emergency blanket, a few thousand calories of food and electrolytes, hiking poles, a headlamp, an emergency kit containing a SAM splint, bandages, super glue, tourniquet, CPR Mask, etc.
Well, I truly hope you don't ever get immobilized up hi when it gets cold at night because an emergency blanket just stops radiant heat loss, it has no real insulative (is that a word?) properties. You need warm clothes to make it through the night. The emergency blanket can keep the wind off you (good), but I really think that you still need actual insulation. Obviously we all have our own idea of what an acceptable risk is, and that's o.k. In any case, have fun, and be safe!

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostMon Aug 30, 2021 4:55 pm 
pula58 wrote:
an emergency blanket just stops radiant heat loss
Up to 95% I hear depending on the product. Which makes it an excellent reflector for a campfire. You don't have to necessarily wear it to survive. My point is that the gear I listed fits in the vest, although it more accurately resembles a turtle shell. And if you were to evaluate your average dayhiker wearing a 25l Osprey pack they're likely no better prepared. Perhaps just more burdoned. I do most day hikes with my vest. Not just running. I really only bring my daypack when I want to bring along my cooking stove and pot. peace.gif

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Aug 30, 2021 4:56 pm 
We need a thread about how somebody had a road to Damascus moment and realized it's ok for people to hike even though x, y, and z about hikers. smile.gif

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Aug 30, 2021 5:08 pm 
I wonder if any SAR folks have access to any sort of statistical data about incidents, including the patient 's mode of travel, how well prepared they were, etc. I recall the Mt Rainier climbing blog used to have a link to a table of all the fatalities in the park since it's inception, sadly this seems to no longer be visible. I found that a surprisingly high number of fatalities were heart attacks within very short distances of the parking lot. That and the high number of self-inflicted deaths.

Joseph
Joseph

Joseph
Joseph
PostMon Aug 30, 2021 9:00 pm 
pula58 wrote:
I just think Trail running is dangerous for the trail runner. Break an ankle way back in the backcounty and have to spend the night out, in the open, without adequate warm/dry clothing, and it could spell ones demise. I see the trail running folk, almost always with tiny packs with next to nothing in them (water, energy food?). Not very wise IMHO.
How many cases of that have there been? Of trail runners running into trouble and having issues or dying because they have no equipment to deal with the elements? I'm not saying there aren't any, just never heard of them. Maybe because there are still relatively few trail runners compared to hikers/backpackers ?

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostMon Aug 30, 2021 9:53 pm 
Well, my feelings are it doesn't much matter to me how another person enjoys recreating in the backcountry as long as they do it responsibly and respect other trail users. Of course I realize that sometimes what is responsible use and respect towards other users falls under the old "eye of the beholder" perspective. In that way I try to cut people a little slack whenever I think they stray a bit away from those ideals. But I admit to being a bit cranky sometimes as well. Rumi~the cantankerous~Dude

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."

Gil, graywolf, Cyclopath
jinx'sboy

jinx'sboy
PostMon Aug 30, 2021 11:59 pm 
A couple weeks ago my wife and I were walking out to a nice ocean view on a flat-ish 4 mile round trip trail that we like to do when we are in California. Harmony Headlands, north of Cayucos, CA. It is a popular well used trail for families and kids. We were strolling along, my wife recovering from recent back surgery, and I nursing a slightly sore ankle. A single guy passed us, walking in the same direction, on the two lane track. We both said “good morning”. Without looking at us - or even returning the greeting - he said; “I’m a trail runner, ya know, but I’m injured, so I’m sorry I’m moving slower than normal”. It was said in a very condescending manner. And he said nothing else. And off he went walking quickly. He didnt appear much injured to me. He was probably 25+ years younger than us and fit looking. My wife and I discussed it and we both felt it was the equivalent of saying: ‘Well, even injured, I’m still pretty cool…and if I weren’t injured I would be waaay more cooler than you’. Does passing two slower moving 70 year olds really give you a stiffie? I dont get it……

Joseph, Gil, graywolf
neek

neek
PostTue Aug 31, 2021 6:53 am 
Thanks for the link, Rumi. Some good questions to ponder there. The last two sentences sum up his thoughts nicely.
Quote:
There’s nothing like covering 25 miles of rugged challenging terrain in a day. But there’s also nothing like spending a day lounging around a quiet backcountry lake.

zimmertr, RumiDude
Gil

Gil
PostTue Aug 31, 2021 8:33 am 
I did some trail running when I was much younger in Alaska. But nowadays my goal is not so much to get somewhere but to BE somewhere. As long as runners are respectful of others on the trail, they're fine by me.

Friends help the miles go easier. Klahini
hbb

hbb
PostTue Aug 31, 2021 10:37 am 
If I am trail running, my average pace is about 4 1/2 MPH. If I am day hiking, my average pace is about 3 MPH. In either case, I am wearing the same clothes and footwear, and carrying the same safety items in my pack (map/compass/water+filter/headlamp+spare battery/emergency bivvvy/puffy coat/warm hat/firestarter/snacks/first aid kit/inReach). Based on what I am seeing in this thread, that extra 1 1/2 MPH when I am trail running makes an enormous difference! It somehow transforms me from a responsible, courteous hiker into an unprepared a$$hole. Complaining about trail running is silly. Save your outrage for those who really deserve it, like people who posthole up the skin track.

kw, Walkin' Fool, Malachai Constant, neek, zimmertr
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Aug 31, 2021 10:42 am 
Seems like it is "human nature" to criticize and misunderstand the motives of those among us who are "Different". We are humans and must fight against this "Animal Instinct". wink.gif

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.

Cyclopath, neek
pula58

pula58
PostTue Aug 31, 2021 11:22 am 
Gil wrote:
But nowadays my goal is not so much to get somewhere but to BE somewhere.
Me too! We do have to get there first, but once there, time to settle-in a little!