Forum Index > Trail Talk > What is going on at ONP today?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
asdf

asdf
PostTue Aug 31, 2021 2:31 pm 
Kim Brown wrote:
I wish agencies would put DATES on alerts. This doesn't give me the warm fuzzy that it's actually accurate today. As slow as some are to update anything, it would be good for us to know that they really are on the ball. Put the date on, and update the date daily.
I'm 100% with you. There is zero cost to dating an announcement. I have often discovered USFS pages that have a ton of helpful information, but no date. Sometimes I have emailed them, and they will say something like "oh, we took a look and that's from 2014". mad.gif I don't even care if it's updated, if the resources aren't there. Just -- if you're a government agency that doesn't have the resources to keep things current, never publish anything to the web without a date. asdf 08/31/2021

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Aug 31, 2021 3:05 pm 
yes, it would be nice if all the I's were dotted and all the T's were crossed, but my best wild-ass guess tells me that a crazed meth freak running around with a loaded gun probably took precedence over anybody in the office worrying about minutae like dates and times.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Aug 31, 2021 3:27 pm 
This could take quite some time. Recently there was something similar in Kittitas County and the gunman was able to evade capture for ~ 3 weeks. https://www.q13fox.com/washingtons-most-wanted/captured-murder-suspect-jorge-alacantara-gonzalez-arrested-in-kittitas-county

contour5

contour5
PostTue Aug 31, 2021 3:31 pm 
As long as he’s got goofy dust, he doesn’t even need food or water.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostTue Aug 31, 2021 6:01 pm 
ONP and almost every similar government agency are pretty slow to update their online sites. Hell, they are slow to update almost everything., period. Just the nature of the beast. Everything I have heard locally is that this is ongoing. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."

Cyclopath
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Aug 31, 2021 6:19 pm 
Tuesday August 31, 2021 16:08 PDT Olympic National Park News Release Deer Park and Hurricane Ridge areas remain closed for public safety PORT ANGELES, WA: The park areas at Deer Park and Hurricane Ridge remain closed for public safety due to an ongoing law enforcement incident. The area closure includes the nearby wilderness camping areas and hiking trails. A multi-agency response is in place and we are currently focused on keeping the Deer Park area clear of visitors and resolving the situation. “The safety of our visitors, our staff, and our first responders is always our priority,” said Olympic National Park Superintendent Sarah Creachbaum. “We are working with the FBI and local law enforcement agencies to resolve this difficult situation.” An armed individual is at Deer Park and his vehicle has not left the area. No injuries have been reported and no one has been directly threatened. There is no indication the individual poses an immediate threat to local residents or park visitors. The National Park Service has evacuated Deer Park and Hurricane Ridge and has worked to help visitors and backpackers exit the areas that are now closed. Deer Park is at the end of a gravel road nine miles from the park boundary and 18 miles from Highway 101. Hurricane Ridge Road is closed above the Heart O’ the Hills campground. --NPS--

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostTue Aug 31, 2021 8:08 pm 
Sometimes you get these guys runnin' into the woods. Not uncommon in certain locales. More common in some areas but overall a fairly frequent occurance!

neek

neek
PostTue Aug 31, 2021 8:54 pm 
contour5 wrote:
As long as he’s got goofy dust, he doesn’t even need food or water.
Which probably won't be long. Afaik they don't sell the stuff in buckets at prepper stores.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Sep 01, 2021 9:28 am 
Wednesday September 1, 2021 09:13 PDT Olympic National Park News Release Multiagency law enforcement team bring incident at Deer Park to a safe resolution PORT ANGELES, WA: A multiagency law enforcement team was able to bring the incident at Deer Park to a safe resolution late last night with no injuries. The individual is in custody. The investigation is ongoing and charges are pending. Further details will be forthcoming. Deer Park and Obstruction Point roads will remain closed at this time. Park staff are currently working to reopen Hurricane Ridge. Check the park Twitter and Facebook pages or call the Road & Weather hotline at 360-565-3131 for road status updates. --NPS--

RumiDude
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Sep 01, 2021 1:47 pm 
Wednesday September 1, 2021 13:44 PDT Olympic National Park News Release Multiagency law enforcement response brings incident at Deer Park to a safe resolution; Hurricane Ridge reopened PORT ANGELES, WA: A coordinated, multiagency law enforcement response brought the incident at Deer Park to a safe resolution late Tuesday evening without injuries. Deer Park and Hurricane Ridge have been closed since Sunday morning for public safety due to an ongoing law enforcement incident involving an armed and potentially dangerous individual. The individual in custody is a 41-year-old male who is a resident of Port Angeles. The investigation is ongoing. “The success of this response was dependent on the park working in close collaboration with the FBI and local law enforcement agencies,” said Olympic National Park Superintendent Sarah Creachbaum. “We are grateful to everyone involved for the safe resolution of this difficult situation.” Sunday morning, park staff responded to a report of a suspicious vehicle associated with downed trees blocking access on Deer Park Road. Three trees were found to have been cut with a chainsaw and two had been successfully felled. The vehicle was confirmed to belong to an individual reported in a 911 call to Peninsula Communications Dispatch around 2:00 am Sunday morning. It was reported that the individual was heavily armed and there were concerns regarding his behavior. The National Park Service evacuated Deer Park and Hurricane Ridge for public safety and helped visitors and backpackers exit the closed areas. The area closure included the nearby wilderness camping areas and hiking trails. A multi-agency response was put in place to respond to the situation. Public safety notifications and updates were initially posted on the park Twitter and Facebook accounts and emailed to local news desks and reporters. Around 4:30 am Sunday morning, a fire was reported in the park near the power lines on the Hurricane Ridge parkway just above the intersection with Mount Angeles Road. The 100 foot by 100 foot fire was extinguished by the Port Angeles Fire Department, Clallam County Fire District No. 2, and Olympic Interagency Fire Management personnel. On Sunday afternoon, the Blue Mountain radio repeater at Deer Park stopped functioning. The park is investigating whether the fire and the situation with the radio repeater are related to the incident. Thanks to the Federal Bureau of Investigation, the Clallam County Sheriff’s Office, Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office, Port Angeles Police Department, Port Townsend Police Department, Sequim Police Department, Olympic Peninsula Narcotics Enforcement Team, U.S. Customs and Border Patrol, and the National Park Service Pacific West Special Event Team for their assistance in a successful outcome. Deer Park and Obstruction Point roads remain closed at this time due to the ongoing investigation. Hurricane Ridge Road reopened this morning. --NPS--

RumiDude
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostWed Sep 01, 2021 6:34 pm 
Ski wrote:
yes, it would be nice if all the I's were dotted and all the T's were crossed, but my best wild-ass guess tells me that a crazed meth freak running around with a loaded gun probably took precedence over anybody in the office worrying about minutae like dates and times.
It's not that hard to do. It isn't an oversight just in this post; most of thier pages aren't dated. It is highly doubtful that the communication people in the office are so freaked out about a guy in the woods miles from them that they're out of thier gourds and can't make rational communication decisions.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostWed Sep 01, 2021 8:42 pm 
Kim Brown wrote:
Ski wrote:
It's not that hard to do. It isn't an oversight just in this post; most of thier pages aren't dated. It is highly doubtful that the communication people in the office are so freaked out about a guy in the woods miles from them that they're out of thier gourds and can't make rational communication decisions.
Yes they should dateline their pages. Yes, they should keep their webpage current as possible. Yes, the whole purpose of this is to provide current accurate information to the public. Now ask yourself, what are the consequences if they don't keep their online site up-to-date? Short answer is none. Nobody is going to lose their job, be demoted, written-up, or anything. The NPS will not lose "business" or go "out of business". Therein lies the basic issue. When there are no consequences to ONP any employee, no priority is placed on it. It may make a park user angry to discover a road/trail closed/open because the website information was not current, but it is unlikely anyone is going to suffer any consequences. Accountability is key to this. Personal Illustration: I worked in a large IT department for a large regional newspaper. We got a new VP for IT. In his first week he alled down to the Helpline. No one answered and it went to voicemail. He left a message. No one called him in the next two hours or showed up to fix the issue. He called again and got a similar responce. He then called an immediate all-IT meeting and basically said that this was NOT going to happen from that moment onward. And he further stated it did not apply to just the Helpline, but to every aspect of IT. The customer was to be the priority of IT. He did not have to threaten, everyone understood and the entire department changed in that moment to focus on soving customer issues, even though the customers were internal rather than external. There are many really top notch people working at ONP. But after working closely with ONP as a volunteer, I realized many of the people focused on making their jobs easier for themselves rather than for the ONP users. The priority was not to make it easy for people to access ONP as easily as possible, but instead easier for them to administer the Park. That of course is a generalization, and maybe even an over-generalization, but it was my distinct impression. It has been a few years since I quit working withh ONP, so things may have chaged ... or not. So it does not surprise me that the observation of others made here in this thread concerning the ONP web presence. Sorry for the hijack of the thread. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Sep 01, 2021 9:06 pm 
RumiDude wrote:
Now ask yourself, what are the consequences if they don't keep their online site up-to-date?
People showing up while there's a deranged gunman on the loose because it sounds like a self-solving kind of problem. This part of the thread came up because I asked, I asked because I have a 71 year old relative not terribly far from Port A who's been talking about going to Hurricane Ridge before the rains come back. It wasn't clear to me whether the guy was still on the loose at the time from the page, and I wanted to be able to say if necessary. smile.gif

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostWed Sep 01, 2021 10:17 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
RumiDude wrote:
Now ask yourself, what are the consequences if they don't keep their online site up-to-date?
People showing up while there's a deranged gunman on the loose because it sounds like a self-solving kind of problem. This part of the thread came up because I asked, I asked because I have a 71 year old relative not terribly far from Port A who's been talking about going to Hurricane Ridge before the rains come back. It wasn't clear to me whether the guy was still on the loose at the time from the page, and I wanted to be able to say if necessary. smile.gif
Your relative would have found the road to Hurricane Ridge closed. The same is true for Deer Park Road. ONP personel were making an effort to contact and safely clear people already in the affected areas. People showing up at Hurricane Ridge Road or Deer Park Road may have been a bit nonplussed but they would not have been in any danger. Regardless, my reply was specifically to the issues Kim Brown highlighted in her response to Ski. I agree, it should be a no-brainer to update constantly, particularly in these sots of fast changing situations. But if they don't, nobody is going to have their feet held to the fire. And because of that the haphazard manner that ONP updates public communications (or almost any similar agency) is not likely to change. I should add this happens in many areas of private business as well. Here is a good example of what I mean: Ski copied and pasted an ONP public notice which I have highlighted the relevent part. "A multiagency law enforcement team was able to bring the incident at Deer Park to a safe resolution late last night with no injuries. The individual is in custody. The investigation is ongoing and charges are pending. Further details will be forthcoming. Deer Park and Obstruction Point roads will remain closed at this time. Park staff are currently working to reopen Hurricane Ridge. Check the park Twitter and Facebook pages or call the Road & Weather hotline at 360-565-3131 for road status updates." In other words they are telling people they have to go/do something else to get the latest updates. If they can do it elsewhere, they can do it on their webpage. That's crazy! Rumi

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Sep 02, 2021 12:03 am 
^ The press releases go out to a number of parties via email. I do not know if they are posted on the web - I rarely look at ONP's website.