Forum Index > Trail Talk > What is going on at ONP today?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
carlb328

carlb328
PostThu Sep 02, 2021 6:21 am 
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
altasnob

altasnob
PostThu Sep 02, 2021 8:08 am 
RumiDude wrote:
Check the park Twitter and Facebook pages or call the Road & Weather hotline at 360-565-3131 for road status updates."
Rainier and Oly twitter page is where I have always gone to see if the road up Hurricane Ridge, and road to Paradise are open (essential when trying to go up in the winter). I'm speculating, but seems like an IT problem. Lot easier for them to quickly update their twitter page than their website.

rubywrangler

rubywrangler
PostThu Sep 02, 2021 9:40 am 
rbuzby
Attention Surplus

rbuzby
Attention Surplus
PostThu Sep 02, 2021 10:13 am 
Sounds like one of the guys who attacked our country on January 6th. A note written by Chapman delivered Sunday to a person identified in the complaint by their initials “discussed Chapman’s grievances with the White House, his difficulty purchasing ammunition, and his belief that an imminent revolution would be occurring in the next 30 days, beginning in Texas and the Olympic Peninsula,” according to the complaint.

coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostThu Sep 02, 2021 10:21 pm 
I just got back from spending 6 days in that area. We went in Saturday. We hadn't seen another person since Sunday, In Cameron Basin. Today around noon we finally ran into another human near Moose Lake who had heard some vague info regarding this (he was 18 days in and in need of a food drop). I used my inreach to ask a friend WTF! They told me the lowdown. None of our regular daily inreach contacts said anything about it to us. I was able to contact the ONP wic with the inreach and a ranger opened the gate at Obstruction point road to let us out today at 6pm. When we didn't see anyone in Grand Valley we started suspecting a zombie apocalypse or some such. Gotta say today was the weirdest day backpacking I've ever experienced.

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.

seawallrunner, MojaveGeek, day_hike_mike, zimmertr
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostThu Jul 14, 2022 1:49 am 
Bumping this thread up for the latest news. Not mentioned in the plea agreement was whether or not they would permanently disarm this nutter. Armed man arrested in Olympic National Park pleads guilty to interfering with government communication system
Quote:
A Port Angeles man accused of assaulting his girlfriend at Olympic National Park and ranting about an impending revolution pleaded guilty on Wednesday to interfering with a government communication system. Caleb Jesse Chapman, 42, disabled the Olympic National Park radio communications site at the Blue Mountain summit early on Aug. 29, 2021, the U.S. Attorney’s Office for Western Washington said. The park’s radio repeater is used for emergency response, public safety and administrative communications, the office said. A few hours prior, just after midnight, Chapman went to a stranger’s home armed with a handgun and an AR-15 style rifle while high on methamphetamine, according to the office. He handed the stranger a letter outlining concerns over political events, difficulty getting ammunition and his belief that a revolution would ensue in the Olympic Peninsula, Texas and other places, the office said. Chapman drove his girlfriend to Olympic National Park, where he cut down a tree to block a road to the Deer Park campground, according to the office. Chapman told his girlfriend she was going to die in the revolution, the office said, and she called 911. He threw a can of soup at her, cutting her leg, according to the office. He’s also accused of repeatedly slamming the woman’s head against a car seat and then storming off into the woods with nine firearms and over 3,500 rounds of ammunition. Officials as a result evacuated and closed a section of Olympic National Park. A drone located Chapman two days later, the office said, and he fired a short-barrel shotgun before surrendering without injury. As part of his plea agreement in U.S. District Court in Tacoma, Chapman agreed to make restitution to people harmed by his actions and the partial closure of the park. While interference with a federal communications system is punishable by up to 10 years in prison, prosecutors will recommend no more than 10 months in prison under Chapman’s plea agreement.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
altasnob

altasnob
PostThu Jul 14, 2022 6:43 am 
Anne Elk wrote:
Not mentioned in the plea agreement was whether or not they would permanently disarm this nutter.
The definition of a felony is possible imprisonment of more than a year. The article says he plead to interference with a federal communications system, which is punishable by up to 10 years in prison. That means he plead to a felony. All federal felonies take away your gun rights for life with no realistic way to restore those gun rights under federal law.

moonspots, Anne Elk
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostThu Jul 14, 2022 9:48 am 
By that sentencing guideline, he got off easy. Hopefully the agreement also includes drug treatment and strict parole guidelines.

altasnob

altasnob
PostThu Jul 14, 2022 10:08 am 
Just because a maximum for a crime is a year, five years, ten years, ect. doesn't mean the person is going to do anywhere close to that amount of jail. For DUI the maximum punishment is 364 days but a first offense DUI convictions gets you one or two days, tops. Possession of meth is 5 year maximum but a first offense will not get you any jail, anywhere in Washington. So I wouldn't assume this guy got off easy. In general, the federal system is much more harsh than the state system. And federal prosecutors only want to take the bad of the bad (or this case, they took the case it because it involved damaging federal property in a national park). Entering the strangers home armed, speaking gibberish, is certainly a scary situation. But residential burglary requires proof that he intended to commit a crime when he entered the home. If all he wanted to do was speak about the coming apocalypse, he only committed criminal trespass 1st (a gross misdemeanor) for that part of his criminal escapade. Double jeopardy doesn't prevent the state prosecutors from prosecuting this guy for state law violations (even if you are punishing him for the exact same criminal conduct). So if you really hate him, and live in Clallam or Jefferson County, contact your local DA and tell them you won't vote for them for reelection and will tell all your friends to do the same unless they prosecute this guy.

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostThu Jul 14, 2022 11:29 am 
altasnob wrote:
So if you really hate him, and live in Clallam or Jefferson County, contact your local DA and tell them you won't vote for them for reelection and will tell all your friends to do the same unless they prosecute this guy.
"Hate" is not relevant or a motive behind my comments. I have concerns about public safety and preventing recidivism (maybe not avoidable in this case). The article author did a bit of a disservice by (presumably) not publishing all the sentencing conditions, mentioning prior arrests, etc.

altasnob

altasnob
PostThu Jul 14, 2022 11:33 am 
Anne Elk wrote:
"Hate" is not relevant or a motive behind my comments.
I only pointed this out because elected prosecutors are incredibly receptive to pressure from the public. For most cases, the public never contacts them. In fact, I would say prosecutors are OVERLY receptive to pressure from the public. The squeaky mouse gets the cheese.
Anne Elk wrote:
The article author did a bit of a disservice by (presumably) not publishing all the sentencing conditions, mentioning prior arrests, etc.
Oh, I agree with this. If it was a Pierce County case I could publish all the court documents online for free (because I pay $200 a year for access to these records). Seattle Times sometimes does publish the actual court documents in their articles. Unlike myself, they have paid for expensive federal PACER access where they can view all the court records. So bug the Seattle Times author and get them to publish additional details. Side note. At some point down the road I hope all court records are available online for free. Right now, courts pay for these databases by charging attorneys subscription fees for access. At the moment, the only courts that provide their court records online free of charge are Seattle Municipal Court and King County District Court.

RodF
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostWed Oct 12, 2022 10:47 am 
From today's news. Kind of surprising, given that weapons were involved, but hopefully terms of his probation include not being allowed to own guns. Man arrested in 3-day Olympic National Park gets probation
Quote:
Chapman was using methamphetamine at the time, prosecutors said, and has been working to be drug-free since his arrest. He agreed to pay restitution to the National Park Service and those affected by the closure, among other parties. The amount will be determined at a later hearing. Chapman spent 80 days in federal detention and could face additional prison time if he violates his probation, prosecutors said.

kiliki

kiliki
PostWed Oct 12, 2022 1:43 pm 
If you were impacted by this, the NPS is looking for you, presumably since the guy is supposed to make restitution. Were you impacted by the evacuation and closure of portions of Olympic National Park on August 29-31, 2021? If so, let the National Park Service know by calling 888-653-0009, go to go.nps.gov/SubmitATip , or email nps_isb@nps.gov.