Forum Index > The Trading Post > Pack raft wanted
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Sep 03, 2021 10:11 am 
Anyone have one they want to part with? I accidentally left mine in Idaho and I am looking for another one for my son too. Another option is maybe an inflatable kayak, but not sure how much they weigh and they are probably sold out for the summer.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Sep 03, 2021 10:18 am 
my two-man Sevylor rubber boat weighs 18 pounds (by itself - no pump or oars.) damn heavy for backpacking.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
DadFly

DadFly
PostFri Sep 03, 2021 12:38 pm 
I have a very old Curtiss that I love. 1 lb. Can't get them anymore unless you are very lucky at a garage sale. I paid $2.50 for mine. The current alternative for the lightest pack raft is this. https://klymit.com/products/litewater-dinghy?variant=31722990207066 There are a couple threads here on NWHikers that discuss this in depth.

"May you live in interesting times"
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Sep 03, 2021 1:04 pm 
Chief wasn't enamored by the LWD from my recollection... embarassedlaugh.gif I mentioned this one in an older theread. Was $275 back then. A bit pricier now now that it's no longer in crowd source mode. Closer to 4 pounds so twice as heavy as a Curtis. https://unchartedsupplyco.com/collections/all/products/rapid-raft https://www.verishop.com/uncharted-supply-co/swimsuit/the-rapid-raft/p4797395763223 (~$313 after 15% off promo code and 9% cash back from activejunky)

DadFly

DadFly
PostFri Sep 03, 2021 1:35 pm 
Tom wrote:
https://unchartedsupplyco.com/collections/all/products/rapid-raft
These look great! Buy one for me. lol.gif My wife has a fun philosophy on purchases. How many times will you use it and for how long? Divide the price by that number of hours. How does that number look?

Anne Elk
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Sep 03, 2021 1:40 pm 
I think I pad $300 for each of my 3 Curtis Rafts (plus tax) so was close to $1000. I paid about $12,000 for my trailhead 4WD vehicle. I think if I were to analyze it the rafts were pretty cheap per use compared to the trailhead vehicle. But both have provided for a life filled with intangible memories. I'll probably still have money in the bank when I die. Can't take it with you.

DadFly

DadFly
PostFri Sep 03, 2021 1:40 pm 
I also have a couple of these One two person that weighs about 7 lbs and two one person that weigh about 5 lbs. The one person rafts have oar locks that aren't very usable. Could cut those off I suppose.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Sep 03, 2021 5:04 pm 
Tom wrote:
Chief wasn't enamored by the LWD from my recollection... embarassedlaugh.gif
Yes, I nearly died....at least scared me good. I was fishing Boardman lake and I went to let some air out since it was a sunny day and it was getting a bit over-inflated. On my Curtis raft you can pull the plug and you have to push the inner valve to let air out, but not on that other POS, the valve is behind your head, so hard to reach and it deflates IMMEDIATELY! I might actually get the single for my son that Dadfly linked to, one lake we frequent is a very short hike, so the weight would not be a big issue. I would really like another Curtis, I recall that BPJ also has like 3 of them and he mentioned selling some gear...I sent him a PM but no response yet.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun Sep 05, 2021 2:32 pm 
I ordered and received the raft that Dadfly linked above. I ordered the one person raft and it looks like it was made for a juvenile...the raft floor is only 30" long so you can's stretch out your legs. Good thing is it only weighs about 18oz. So if anyone else is considering purchasing one, for sure go with the two person.

Leafguy

Leafguy
PostSun Sep 05, 2021 4:58 pm 
I wasn’t aware Flyweight Designs went T U. Mine has been good for years. I do take an extra pound of weight in a PFD because of the single chamber in addition to my closed cell pad that fits in the bottom of the raft and is excellent insulation for my behind. Preferring to flyfish there are places the raft is a must.

wade63
guitarman

wade63
guitarman
PostWed Sep 08, 2021 3:20 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
I ordered and received the raft that Dadfly linked above. I ordered the one person raft and it looks like it was made for a juvenile...the raft floor is only 30" long so you can's stretch out your legs. Good thing is it only weighs about 18oz. So if anyone else is considering purchasing one, for sure go with the two person.
send it back

wade63
guitarman

wade63
guitarman
PostWed Sep 08, 2021 3:26 pm 
Alpaca Scout is the only way to safely fish ice cold mountain lakes with winds picking up at any moment. Four years of heavy use, room for my pack if needed. Good gear costs but will last and safe. Three and a half pounds.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Sep 08, 2021 3:43 pm 
Curtis raft is also reasonably safe, while it's going to be chilly a ride in whitecaps, that's more of a comfort thing (could always put on a rainjacket to mitigate the splash, but you're not going to sink). But I agree, wouldn't take my chances with a cheap raft unless the water temp was swimmable.

wade63
wade63
guitarman

wade63
guitarman
PostWed Sep 08, 2021 6:59 pm 
Tom wrote:
Curtis raft is also reasonably safe, while it's going to be chilly a ride in whitecaps, that's more of a comfort thing (could always put on a rainjacket to mitigate the splash, but you're not going to sink). But I agree, wouldn't take my chances with a cheap raft unless the water temp was swimmable.
Can't haul your pack in a Curtis. This is a great advantage on some lakes. smile.gif

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Sep 08, 2021 8:42 pm 
Not sure what gave you that impression? Do it all the time in my curtis raft.

brokein2