Forum Index > Trip Reports > Brahma Pk attempt w/ Lil' Giant Pk as consolation prize 8-29/30-2021
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ozzy
The hard way

ozzy
The hard way
PostSat Sep 04, 2021 2:22 am 
Brahma pk had peaked my interest a few years back seeing it from down low on the chiwawa river. Then Hans had said something earlier this year about it and I took that as a sign lol. banana.gif It definitely seems like a seldom traveled bump so that raised great intrigue! The best part of it all was getting to see the napeequa river valley from up high too!! rocker.gif So as usual Bryan and Hans would join, we set out 745am on Sunday from the little giant th. The slog up to little giant pass drug on and it's pretty steep. I think it's like 5miles and 4500ft ish gain to the pass. Once you break out of the trees below the pass the views definitely make up for the suffering though!! Wow the alpine in this region is so goddamn beautiful!! smile.gif We hit the pass around 1130am and ho lee chit!! Wowwwweee!! We were all in awe with the brevity of the napeequa laid out before us!! eek.gif breakdance.gif We could see Brahma still pretty far away too. We took an extended break at the pass to study the ridge traverse that lie ahead...and to sip on some whiskey of course lol. Cheers. drink.gif
upper basin
upper basin
meadows below the pass
meadows below the pass
Bryan in a wonderland
Bryan in a wonderland
Almost to lgp
Almost to lgp
Hans and brahma
Hans and brahma
Me and the peeq'
Me and the peeq'
wow
wow
Plume by chelan
Plume by chelan
From the pass we turned north and stayed as high on the ridge as we could on our way towards little giant pk. This ridge run was so badass, we stayed high and found ourselves on both sides of the ridge at times! rocker.gif It was always easy to find the path of least resistance. The landscape up here resembles a Martian type place it's pretty trippy, lots of quartz veins/remnants and pumice too. We climbed up past pt 7272' and located the permanent snow patch just north and below. It was nice to have some running water up this high! The stoke was high at this point and we decided to just go straight for brahma and set up a bivy as high as we could. agree.gif We had to traverse under little giant pk on it's south side dropping 400ft or so to a saddle at 6850ft. On the approach we eyed a pretty sneaky little goat path that snuck onto the northern slopes of the ridge and it all looked straight forward from there. Past the saddle we took the goat path upwards on the northern aspects. Travel was pleasant through here as we passed through old glacial moraine. There still is a sizable permanent snowfield around 7400ft. Plenty of running water on route as well. We made our way around this snowfield and climbed up to around 7600ft and located a supreme bivy spot!! rocker.gif There was a snow patch with a stream coming out...it was a little infinity stream looking straight towards Clark!! What a awesome place! angel.gif It's all covered in pumice as well adding to the allure. There was a large boulder up here next to camp with the name BILL chiseled into it...I wonder if there's any history with old Bill!? wazzup.gif Anyhow we chilled out for a hot minute, dropped some gear then pushed for Brahma!!
Bryan and trinity behind
Bryan and trinity behind
this valley is too much
this valley is too much
hey buddy
hey buddy
the ridge
the ridge
Clark sure looks impressive from here
Clark sure looks impressive from here
that's a ridge. Little giant center and brahma just to the left. Buck in the back.
that's a ridge. Little giant center and brahma just to the left. Buck in the back.
Hans , Clark, luahna, and gp
Hans , Clark, luahna, and gp
I love this place
I love this place
doin some traverse stuff towards the saddle
doin some traverse stuff towards the saddle
almost to the saddle
almost to the saddle
At the saddle
At the saddle
Bryan and little giant above
Bryan and little giant above
Fernow group
Fernow group
the snowfield at 7400ft
the snowfield at 7400ft
the bivy site
the bivy site
oooowweeeee
oooowweeeee
The summit was only around 400ft above so we made quick work up the slope towards the summit. Dissatisfaction sat in when we climbed up to a highpoint on the ridge. We were at a notch that was probably impossible to downclimb and even so there were a few ribs that needed to be negotiated as well. All the terrain that we were looking at was near vertical on the summit proper. All with rather bad exposure. shakehead.gif The summit block was about 100ft above and 300ft away. Everything we could see on the north, south, and east appeared to a no go at this point, so we decided to call it a day here. moon.gif We took a break at the highpoint and sipped whiskey/vodka! I think we made it up here around 430pm. Well we didn't make it to the top of the main objective but we were still amped to spend the night in spectacular fashion! rocker.gif We made it back to camp in time to settle in and catch a sunset. Bryan made a mistake and forgot his bivy, so he had to cowboy camp it lol. The sun put a pretty good show on then the stars came out!! Man!! I haven't seen the stars so good in my life...it was hard to go to sleep lol! We could also see a glow from the fire by Chelan and another over by highway 2. To top it all off the moon came out later and was wicked bright! humpy.gif
Bivy site down low
Bivy site down low
towards the summit
towards the summit
Down to camp and a majority of our ridge traverse in back.
Down to camp and a majority of our ridge traverse in back.
closer
closer
east side of buck
east side of buck
there it is
there it is
Hans on top of our highpoint
Hans on top of our highpoint
this was the only pic I got from our turn around
this was the only pic I got from our turn around
coming down
coming down
it begins
it begins
to the south
to the south
The morning dawned and I was too lazy to get outta my bag to catch the sunrise. We all got goin around 730am and were soon on the move back towards little giant pk. Overnight the water had froze near camp but we found water down lower. We made little giant at 930am and took a long break here. We were stoked just to get to the top of something and the views were amazing! banana.gif The whole area is breathtaking! The glaciers of the dakobed group are awesome looking from here too! We left said pk around 1030am taking our time to enjoy this fine ridge! Upon arriving at little giant pass we ran into some NWhikers! It was the famed Selena, Trace, and Riley! cheers.gif We chatted with them for a bit as it was all our first times meeting! So cool running into y'all out there...what a small world but very big at the same time lol! The rest of the way down from the pass was steep but went by quick. We made the car around 2pm satisfied with another sweet endeavor! That area is something else and I'm kinda glad to have to go back someday for Brahma! The trip stats were probably around 18 miles and 7000ft gain over 2 days of course. Thanks again Bryan and Hans for joining! Cheers to all!!
Clark in morning
Clark in morning
Clark again
Clark again
cool place
cool place
Bryan amped
Bryan amped
back to the saddle
back to the saddle
up the slopes to lil giant
up the slopes to lil giant
from the top of lil giant. Man brahma and buck are sick from here!
from the top of lil giant. Man brahma and buck are sick from here!
Bryan topping out
Bryan topping out
fernow group
fernow group
the valley
the valley
making our way back to lgp
making our way back to lgp
beautiful ridge
beautiful ridge
the cloud are awesome too
the cloud are awesome too
ooohhhh
ooohhhh
almost there buddy
almost there buddy
oh the parting views
oh the parting views
can't wait to see you again
can't wait to see you again

“I don’t know what’s gonna happen, but I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames”-Mr Mojo Risin

rubywrangler, neek, bubblehead, awilsondc, Dave Weyrick, Tom, contour5, reststep, RichP, ONELUV1
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
yukon222

yukon222
PostSat Sep 04, 2021 9:43 am 
Wow! What a spectacular set of pics. Lots of special ones in there. Looks like you guys really enjoyed that great terrain. 👍

Off Route Randy, ozzy
RichP

RichP
PostSat Sep 04, 2021 9:49 am 
Sweet ridge run. up.gif

Off Route Randy, ozzy
Off Route Randy

Off Route Randy
PostSat Sep 04, 2021 4:12 pm 
Sick trip buddy! Hoping SOMEBODY can chime in saying there is a scramble route on Brahma.... 😆

ozzy, Prosit, Tom
Justus S.

Justus S.
PostSat Sep 04, 2021 4:40 pm 
Nice! I've been up Little Giant, but I always wanted to hike further out to Brahma, even if it lacks prominence. I just really enjoy those sweet Napeequa views. At least if I solo hike out there I know where I'll be stopping:) It does look a bit spicy. Thanks for the report.

Off Route Randy, ozzy
raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostSat Sep 04, 2021 5:12 pm 
Beautiful pics guys! Another great destination

Eric Eames

Off Route Randy, ozzy
Bluebird
suffering optional

Bluebird
suffering optional
PostWed Sep 08, 2021 1:24 pm 
up.gif up.gif up.gif

ozzy
iron

iron
PostWed Sep 08, 2021 8:25 pm 
i appreciate your love and passion for the mountains, oz man. and yes, there is no better valley in the cascades than the napeequa (maybe fisher creek)

ozzy