Forum Index > Trip Reports > Devils Dome Loop trip report
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
hktreks

hktreks
PostMon Oct 09, 2017 3:00 pm 
Devils Dome loop is located within Pasayten Wilderness with the tail end of the hike entering into the North Cascades National Park as you descend down to Ross Lake. This loop is a breathtaking and beautiful multi-day (3-4 day) trek where you continually climb up and down, then repeat, repeat and repeat once more. You continually venture through vast wilderness and feelings of proportion as you realize how truly small you are in the true wild. Distance: ~69.2 km (43 miles) Full Loop Time: 3 to 6 days; hikers choice Elevation Gain: ~3330m Max Elevation: 2128m (6982 ft) at Devil’s Dome Summit When to do the Hike: Late July to September Overnight: Yes Map of the Route & GPS data: Yes, see link below HK Plan: 3 days/ 2 nights; 55km (34.1 miles)** Loop w/ Taxi Boat Full trip report here - http://hktreks.com/index.php/2017/09/30/devils-dome-loop-day-1/

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostMon Oct 09, 2017 3:48 pm 
I don't get why you needed to stop in Marblemount for a permit, you never camped in the National Park (or in Ross Lake NRA). Anyway, one of my favorite trips ever. Great photos. And that is an aggressive itinerary, especially Day 1! We arranged the boat pickup in advance from Devils Landing and got a car shuttle between the Ross Dam parking lot and Canyon Creek, so as to avoid the Ruby Creek portion, as well. That way, it's about 27 miles of only the good parts, plus we added a side trip to Crater Lake and Mountain.

Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostMon Oct 09, 2017 4:05 pm 
Foist wrote:
Anyway, one of my favorite trips ever. Great photos. And that is an aggressive itinerary, especially Day 1
Agreed, one of the best loop trips. It can be done quickly by the young and restless., while most definitely still enjoying the spectacular views but not stopping long enough for the bloodthirsty bugs to figure out you're there!

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
hktreks

hktreks
PostMon Oct 09, 2017 4:05 pm 
Yes, fair question! We didn't need to stop BUT we didn't know that the water taxi was an option until after we spoke to the ranger. To be honest, it was hard to find good information on this specific hike, hopefully our post helps others in the future.

sooperfly

sooperfly
PostMon Oct 09, 2017 4:18 pm 
Thank you for the report! Interesting shot, how did you get this?

Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostMon Oct 09, 2017 5:48 pm 
kamil wrote:
To be honest, it was hard to find good information on this specific hike, hopefully our post helps others in the future.
A book entitled "Don't Waste Your Time in the North Cascades" has the authors listing the Devils Dome loop as one of their "don't do it" trips. Opinionated, yes. Correct? Depends on what one wants. They evidently hiked it in late July or early August, when it can be hot, quite dry, dusty, and buggy. If you like great, great views and moderate trails, it's a tremendous loop hike. A few tips to perhaps help others who would consider the trip: I have done it twice as a trail run going ccw starting from the East Bank trailhead. That way you can warm up on three miles of gentle grade trail before starting the rigorous 62 switchbacks climbing up from Canyon Creek. The steep trail from the East Bank trail up to Devils Dome is best descended rather than ascended in my opinion. This is a major reason I prefer the ccw loop. That section can be a bit brushy on the lower portion. Devils Dome, formerly the site of a lookout, would make a fabulous good- weather camp spot, as kamil discovered, but will be dry after early to mid July when the snowbanks have melted, as they also discovered. To be a "loop purist," and save a bundle of $$$, forget the boat and walk/ run the complete loop, which also makes logistics simple.

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostMon Oct 09, 2017 6:04 pm 
Oh boy, here comes another drone debate...

neek

neek
PostTue Oct 10, 2017 11:11 am 
No debate necessary, simply education. Drones are prohibited in Wilderness areas (e.g. the Pasayten). But yes, this is a great loop, glad you enjoyed it!

Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostTue Oct 10, 2017 11:14 am 
kamil wrote:
Yes, fair question! We didn't need to stop BUT we didn't know that the water taxi was an option until after we spoke to the ranger. To be honest, it was hard to find good information on this specific hike, hopefully our post helps others in the future.
Sorry, I just can't resist pointing out the irony here. I took this trip (and other previous trips in that area) and I didn't find the information obscure at all. It's in several different guidebooks (including 100 hikes in Washington), Ross Lake Resort has info online, the National Park website talks about the water taxi, it is mentioned in numerous discussions and trip reports on this site, etc. The most famous thing about Ross Lake is the resort, which is booked out years in advance. So the idea that someone is going to miss all that info everywhere else, but somehow find it on your blog, is pretty funny. Also, in case your blog does become that famous, I would recommend adding a note that no one should launch a drone in Wilderness areas, and acknowledge your error in doing so.

wolffie

wolffie
PostTue Jun 26, 2018 4:45 pm 
I would like to add that we encountered a drone on the John Muir Trail last year and found it disturbingly intrusive. It wasn't only the scofflaw attitude, it was the insenitivity, and also the ever-present certain fear that somewhere, as we speak, some evil genius is inventing something even worser. Inescapable invasive technology keeps spreading, spreading, spreading. I've been watching this process for 65 years. Each time, I get the same familiar sinking feeling in my heart.

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
Rex1819

Rex1819
PostMon Aug 30, 2021 9:20 am 
Hello HKtreks - Planning to do the devil's dome loop next week and would love to see your full trip report and GPS map but the link is broken. Do you have an updated link? http://hktreks.com/index.php/2017/09/30/devils-dome-loop-day-1/ Thanks in advance. NEVER MIND! I found it. thanks! Rex

Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostMon Aug 30, 2021 9:40 am 
Rex, be aware that the Canyon Creek bridge is out, so you cannot access the loop from that trailhead and the 27-mile option I described above is not feasible. Although maybe this time of year the creek is fordable with care.

Rex1819

Rex1819
PostSat Sep 04, 2021 5:38 pm 
Thank you very much for the heads up! I think we'll try the start from the East Bank trail head