Forum Index > Trip Reports > Taneum Lake + Quartz Mountain: 09/05/21
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
fourteen410

fourteen410
PostSun Sep 05, 2021 11:53 pm 
Last weekend I fell and hurt my knee on the way back from Peggy's Pond. A few days later, I got the crushing news that I tore my meniscus and a number of ligaments, including my ACL. With grand fall colors and golden larches just around the corner, it felt like life had slapped me across the face. After hiking every weekend for 15 years, a break seemed unfathomable. It still does. Surgery is on the horizon, but until then, it's small steps, slow paces, and short distances. Taneum Lake fit the bill. We arrived Sunday afternoon to an empty TH. The trail is a nice, mostly flat path through woods that already smell like fall. Some summer flowers were hanging on, but most of the foliage was transitioning to yellows, reds, and purples.
Distant peaks were occasionally visible, too.
Before too long, we arrived at the peaceful lake, accompanied only by dragonflies and amphibians.
We followed a bootpath around the lake, encountering some fascinating fungi, colorful berries, and strange woodwork along the way.
We enjoyed a leisurely lunch on the far shore. Around 4pm, the wind noticeably shifted. We watched dark smoke from the Schneider Springs fire move in. These two shots show the difference an hour made.
Back at the car, we decided to head up to Quartz Mountain before it got smoked out. Once we got up there, we had a front seat view of the fire.
Views were fairly clear to the north despite the smoke.
Quartz also seems to be a favorite place for memorials.
On the drive down, we stopped at an unnamed lake for a game of fetch.
As we continued on, we found a few overachiever larches showing off a bit early.
Our last stop was at the White Woman's Grave at Tamarack Springs. The grave supposedly belongs to a pioneer woman and her unborn child who died there in 1870 after falling off a horse.
As the sun fell, we decided that a return trip was well warranted. Then we pointed the tires west and headed home.

GeoTom, RichP, kite, Nancyann, half fast, KJR, Tom  Lindsay
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Nancyann

Nancyann
PostMon Sep 06, 2021 8:43 am 
So sorry to hear about your knee injury, Lauren. Fortunately there are plenty of knee-friendly hikes like the Taneum to keep you occupied while you are healing up. One of my friends is in the same situation and she still gets out hiking every week. Let me know if you need some more ideas.

KascadeFlat

KascadeFlat
PostMon Sep 06, 2021 9:28 am 
Oh no! Sorry to hear about the knee. I tore my MCL last year and the good news is that with surgery and PT the function comes back fast. Slowing down let me discover all kinds of cool hikes that I had over looked before because they didn't go to high and lofty places. I am looking forward to see what you get up to during your recovery! smile.gif

For a good time call: 1-800-SLD-ALDR.
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostMon Sep 06, 2021 10:08 am 
Very sorry to hear that your fall and injury was so severe. Yikes! Yet there you are still heading out and enjoying what you can of the mountains before the snows come back. Good luck with your recovery. ~z

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Sep 06, 2021 11:38 am 
Yes sorry to hear!

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Sep 06, 2021 1:25 pm 
I too am sorry about the injury. Since I lost my eye sight Ive been falling down more. LOL. It sucks, but it turns out a percentage of your balance comes from eye sight. Where is the trailhead for that lake?

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln