Forum Index > Trip Reports > Thread for lazy trip reports
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Sep 01, 2021 4:07 pm 
Finally made it back to Ashland lakes to try and fish today after several years and it was a disappointment. The lake previously had some kind of vegetation growing up from the bottom but only around the edges. Now the entire lake (swamp) is nearly covered with them. There was no sign of any fish activity AT ALL, there used to be a good population of plump brookies and some decent sized cutts. There was however plenty of recent beaver activity and the lake is actually higher than it was. There was a rock I used to walk to on the north end of the lower lake to launch my raft from, now it's nearly under water (beaver dam?). The good....the trail is in great shape and totally clear, there is now a porta potty at both the upper and lower lakes, new steel fire rings with cooking grates, all new trail and other signage. Plus a brand new bridge made out of some type of composite material, from what a recall the wooden bridge was perfectly fine. The road is in horrible shape right from the start, seems the money would have been better spend on repairing that? But at least I have little reason to go down that road, except maybe to visit Island lake or the 'Tubs.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Sep 01, 2021 4:39 pm 
BeardoMcGrath wrote:
More cars than I've ever seen at Barlow Pass when we departed at 9 AM in the morning; I assume they were all in Gothic Basin since we did not see many other people along the road, in Monte Cristo, or in Glacier Basin. I've now been to Glacier Basin three times, and it is definitely one of my favorite places in the Cascades: rugged cliffs, waterfalls, and verdant undergrowth.
Pretty sure that social media has made Gothic basin a zoo, probably eventually they will be herding toward Glacier. I have only been up there once, need to get back.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
BeardoMcGrath

BeardoMcGrath
PostThu Sep 02, 2021 3:16 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
BeardoMcGrath wrote:
More cars than I've ever seen at Barlow Pass when we departed at 9 AM in the morning; I assume they were all in Gothic Basin since we did not see many other people along the road, in Monte Cristo, or in Glacier Basin. I've now been to Glacier Basin three times, and it is definitely one of my favorite places in the Cascades: rugged cliffs, waterfalls, and verdant undergrowth.
Pretty sure that social media has made Gothic basin a zoo, probably eventually they will be herding toward Glacier. I have only been up there once, need to get back.
At least there is no lake in Glacier Basin! That always seems to attract folks, I assume Twin Lakes and Silver Lake nearby remain more popular.

fourteen410

fourteen410
PostFri Sep 03, 2021 10:42 pm 
neek wrote:
Get Out and Go wrote:
No arachnids nor other bugs.
Any chihuahuas?
I see what you did there dizzy.gif

hapemask

hapemask
PostSat Sep 04, 2021 11:03 pm 
First volcano summit in the bag! All I’ve read said that Mt. Adams is best done with snow but I’m impatient and didn’t want to wait until next year. I’m sure there have been enough Adams TRs but these snow-free conditions seem less common (in the past…). Done as a long day hike. Late season reports describe the climb up Pikers Peak as “loose” but there has to be a better word for that miserable terrain. I couldn’t help but imagine how fun it would have been to glissade over every ankle-twisting step on the way back down. The landscape up above it was worth the suffering though, with some unique views that you might not get otherwise with snow cover.
Down low the melting glaciers revealed some cool features.
Down low the melting glaciers revealed some cool features.
I don’t have the experience yet to judge on my own whether this was safe terrain, and thus I probably shouldn’t have gone up it. It was a fun break from clawing my way up the scree and ash though.
I don’t have the experience yet to judge on my own whether this was safe terrain, and thus I probably shouldn’t have gone up it. It was a fun break from clawing my way up the scree and ash though.
Hardly any snow to be had above lunch counter.
Hardly any snow to be had above lunch counter.
The only mandatory snow/ice travel on the entire journey was here before the top.
The only mandatory snow/ice travel on the entire journey was here before the top.
I’ve seen older reports where people stood on top of this. I wouldn’t want to try now.
I’ve seen older reports where people stood on top of this. I wouldn’t want to try now.
Rainier from near the summit marker.
Rainier from near the summit marker.

Cyclopath, ozzy, zimmertr, RichP, hikerbiker, Chief Joseph
RichP

RichP
PostSun Sep 05, 2021 8:30 am 
That is remarkable. I assume the structure was originally built on bare ground but I've never seen it completely snow free. I took this shot from The Indian Heaven Wilderness a couple weeks ago and thought Adams looked dry.

ozzy, hapemask, zimmertr  fourteen410  Cyclopath
zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostSun Sep 05, 2021 9:31 am 
Thanks for the beta on Adams, I am considering it for next weekend. I assume you didn't need an ice axe or traction given the limited snow travel? How long did it take you? How was the wind?

hapemask

hapemask
PostSun Sep 05, 2021 12:32 pm 
zimmertr wrote:
Thanks for the beta on Adams, I am considering it for next weekend. I assume you didn't need an ice axe or traction given the limited snow travel? How long did it take you? How was the wind?
I used my ice axe and crampons for that gratuitous snow climb in the vertical pano but you can (probably should) just go around it which would make them totally unnecessary. It also puts you off route and prolongs the scree torture. The snow before the summit was dead flat and pretty grippy. It took me ~14.5hrs, started at 6am and was back at the car around 8:30pm. I’m in mediocre shape so maybe take this as an upper limit. The wind was fine, the forecast was for up to 20mph at the summit but I don’t think it was anywhere near that. I didn’t feel the need to put on any of my insulated or wind layers, but best to bring them anyway.

zimmertr
HikingBex

HikingBex
PostMon Sep 06, 2021 10:07 pm 
Went up Fryingpan Glacier (near Little Tahoma) yesterday. Absolutely beautiful day and the glacier was really something - melted down to glacial ice, lots of running water and very open crevasses. Nominally this trip was to tag Whitman Crest, but we stopped ~700 vertical feet short due to rockfall. After a summer of cancelled trips I was just happy to set foot on a glacier (my first ever!)

Cyclopath, RichP  zimmertr
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Sep 08, 2021 3:27 pm 
My nephew and I went into a ltitle gem last week. He'd never been there before. He really loved it.
Hunter and me_2
Hunter and me_2

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln

Cyclopath, ozzy, runup, RichP, zimmertr
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Sep 08, 2021 3:47 pm 
up.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Sep 08, 2021 8:57 pm 
Quick trip up Washington (Snoqualmie) today only saw two people Chester Morris has more water than last year, go figure. Trail is still rocky.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Sep 09, 2021 9:07 am 
I went up to see my mother and sister last week, and deliver some pies for my brother-in-law. My sister and I went for a little walk down to the beach. These are a couple of her photos:
Crab Shack Jamestown Sequim 090121
Crab Shack Jamestown Sequim 090121
Jamestown Sequim 090121
Jamestown Sequim 090121
Jamestown Sequim 090121
Jamestown Sequim 090121

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."

mosey
RichP

RichP
PostFri Sep 17, 2021 9:09 am 
I did a hike to South Chilco and Chilco Mtn just north of Coeur d'Alene starting from the southern trailhead on Rd 406. Nice trail which has been re-routed from it's original mapped location in places to make it less steep and rutted. The south peak summit is 20' higher and is actually in the trees north of the sign but the north peak has the better views and was an old lookout site.

Cyclopath, Chief Joseph, Nancyann, mosey
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostFri Sep 17, 2021 9:57 pm 
RichP wrote:
Huh? Good to see the peakbagging gene remains strong -- gotta get the high point!