Forum Index > Trail Talk > Homage to TAH and Snow Lake
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
thuja

thuja
PostFri Aug 27, 2021 4:09 pm 
Perhaps TAH was actually Harvey Manning, briefly reincarnated? Who then moved on to another life form not capable of posting online? Regardless, I feel a TAH-style rant is merited. File this under Dogs, trash, trail etiquette, overcrowded trails, whatever. Short jaunt to Snow Lake today for huckleberries, which were found at the lake. Saw a Pika with its hay pile right off the trail around the lake shore. When I hiked back, three people were having their lunch on the rocks, RIGHT ON TOP OF THE PIKA's HOME. I tried to politely inform them they were like three giant terrifying pteradactyls sitting on someone's (Pika's) roof and suggested they consider moving. They didn't of course. Got an early start, so the lake was misty and moody and quiet. The real sh##-storm started on the way out, when the hordes of people who should be banned from trails started to show up. There was the obligatory dude in cotton shorts blasting music on his phone, blissfully unaware most likely that he was basically flipping off everyone else on the trail. Did not get a chance to suggest he use earphones, alas, as I was using the backcountry toilet when this noise pollution passed by. Up next? The obnoxious and stupid trail runner who had no backpack, not even the ridiculous little "vest" things that trail runners wear to store their goo packets and tiny vials of water. There was one group of 5 people who were definitely drunk and very, very loud. At the junction with the Source Lake trail they asked me which way to Snow Lake. Right next to the sign pointing to Snow Lake! None of them had backpacks. I should have sent them to Source Lake.... I must have run into 12 dogs today, only 2 of which were leashed, despite multiple signs at the trailhead making it very clear that all dogs were to be leashed. But that clearly didn't apply to these special snowflakes and their precious pooches. Despite my best efforts to use the ART technique and point out how everything is better off with dogs on leashes (the dog, other dogs, animals, other hikers) not one of these people made any move to leash their dog. Ran into multiple bags of dog sh## left on the trail, presumably someone thinks the dogshit fairy will take these away? Or everyone else that hikes the trail just loves to see bags of dog poo? When I got back to the parking lot, two people were setting up a table and cooler to sell drinks to people, right at the trailhead. WTF? Why not a lemonade stand? Sno cones? Hot dog wagon? Attached is a photo of the trash I picked up from the trail. Hard to see, but that's THREE bags of dogshit left by inconsiderate and irresponsible dog owners. Sorry dogs, your humans need to learn some manners. Also half a roll of sodden toilet paper.
It will be a long, long time before I venture anywhere near this sh## show again. Yay for huckleberries and pikas, a pox on humans. Harrumph.

mtn.climber  mosey, awilsondc
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostSat Aug 28, 2021 12:38 am 
Seems like every time I leave the trail in the snow lake vicinities I stumble across someone sh**ting in the woods!

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Aug 28, 2021 10:20 am 
thuja wrote:
When I got back to the parking lot, two people were setting up a table and cooler to sell drinks to people, right at the trailhead. WTF? Why not a lemonade stand? Sno cones? Hot dog wagon?
Great location for a food truck and an expresso cart, especially now that the Aardvark truck has relocated to Ellensburg from the Summit Chevron.

mosey
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSat Aug 28, 2021 11:14 am 
The pain and suffering of brush bashing and off trail travel (even getting lost as I am wont to do) is MUCH better than dealing with that Sh-it! shakehead.gif

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Aug 28, 2021 11:39 am 
I can dance to it, but I can only give you 9 out of 10 because there was no mention of poodles. clown.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Gil

Gil
PostFri Sep 03, 2021 2:30 pm 
Sad to see what some trails have become.

Friends help the miles go easier. Klahini
coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostFri Sep 03, 2021 4:00 pm 
Gil wrote:
become
That one has always been like that. I recall being up by the Tooth seeing the conga line going up, back in 1991.

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Sep 03, 2021 4:44 pm 
Went up Granite today instead of @#$%€ŁĄ&% Snow Lake saw maybe a dozen polite folks and dogs .

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
mosey

mosey
PostWed Sep 08, 2021 10:00 pm 
Tbh the only way to get there and maintain your patience is the rock creek variation from mid fork (long but nice views). Or alpine starts on a weekday. Unfortunately easy access to granite cleavage comes with all of the good and bad. Here's a sunrise pic I took from nearby