Forum Index > Trail Talk > New fire in William O Douglas wilderness
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Mountainfisherman

Mountainfisherman
PostThu Sep 09, 2021 6:57 pm 
YouTube Schneider Springs Fire. They post a daily update and other interesting video. Flyovers are particularly interesting to me because I know the area. Where it’s burning now it would have to take a hard left (west) turn which would be against the generally prevailing winds and it would run into the American Ridge Fire scar from 2017 before threatening the PCT. It’s pretty far away, but this development could be a game changer. They got a little rain on the fire Wednesday and it had no effect they said because of how dry it is. After the 110 plus temps in late June-the moisture was sucked out of everything. We’ve gotten something like .22 inches of precip in the Yakima Valley since then-obviously a little more in the mountains since but no where near normal precip.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
John Morrow

John Morrow
PostThu Sep 09, 2021 7:38 pm 
fourteen410 wrote:
Aerial recon flight from yesterday if anyone is looking for a visual:
This is the 2007 Rattlesnake Fire where the video is captioned burning into it. Same start time Aug 4 or 6 and went all summer with a fraction of the intensity of the current fire. Hence, treeswarper's "asbestos forest". View north from Ironstone Mtn Trail:
Aug. 10, 2007
Aug. 10, 2007
down canyon Rattlesnake
down canyon Rattlesnake
View from Rattlesnake Creek:
Strawberry meadow
Strawberry meadow
Views south, from opposite side, on Mt Aix Trail looking across Hindoo Creek: Aug 18:
Sept 26:
The current fire's ability to go west against the prevailing winds has surprised me. In Dog, Hindoo, and Rattlesnake valleys of continuous forest my guess it makes afternoon valley to ridgetop runs and the flanks expand westward and send firebrands causing spot fires even further west. Making its way over time. The origin is at least 9 linear miles east of American Ridge. Doesn't appear that past fire scars have been stopping it though American Ridge fires (2017?) are far more recent than Dog (2004?) or Rattlesnakes 1 (early 2000s) and Rattlesnake 2 (2007). A late day column coming from upper Rattlesnake on this weekend, Sat Sept 4, 2021, photo from near Old Snowy on PCT.
Plume from Schneider
Plume from Schneider

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”-Mary Oliver “A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.” ― MLK Jr.
fourteen410

fourteen410
PostThu Sep 09, 2021 8:26 pm 
I hope they're able to protect the American River Guard Station.

John Morrow

John Morrow
PostFri Sep 10, 2021 12:55 pm 
101,000+ acres. I am fairly certain there has never been a wildfire in Kittitas or Yakima Counties burn 100,000ac (forested, not desert) in recorded history.

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”-Mary Oliver “A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.” ― MLK Jr.
Mountainfisherman

Mountainfisherman
PostFri Sep 10, 2021 6:04 pm 
I believe you’re right-I’ve been looking but haven’t found anything on forested land that size. We’ve talked for years about the “big one,” this is it.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Sep 10, 2021 6:27 pm 
I can't recall the name or the size, but in 1987?? there was a good size one hopping back and forth across the crest east of Enumclaw. It was in public and private timberland and in the watershed. One fire camp was at Lester. I don't think it was that big though. Wish I could remember the name.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
tinman

tinman
PostFri Sep 10, 2021 6:59 pm 
Treeswarper, I went to a fire there as an ordering manager and I think the fire was called "Falls Creek"? We ended up at a fire camp at the Naches Ranger Station.

Wherever you go, there you are.......
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Sep 10, 2021 9:04 pm 
We had a little engine and worked with timber fallers drowning the burning trees after they dropped them. We were camped at Lester.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
gb

gb
PostSat Sep 11, 2021 6:34 am 
1/2" of rain yesterday at Chinook Pass....

fourteen410