Forum Index > Trip Reports > Brahma Peak ~ Little Giant Peak ~ 9/6-9/7/21
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
bubblehead

bubblehead
PostWed Sep 08, 2021 4:27 pm 
Trace and I got Brahma and Little Giant on this trip. We started out with mixed emotions. I was a few days out from having the stomach flu, so I knew I wasn't 100%. It would be a "TBD" on how that would play a roll in the trip. Trace was a little more recovered than I was, as he was experiencing symptoms the week prior when we did the Buck Creek pass- Little Giant pass loop. We remembered how long the way down from LGP felt, and were not excited to slog up that and battle the blowdown that made it so much worse. To our surprise, as we were drying off from the Chiwawa river ford, a Forest Service trail crew walked out from the the way we were headed. They had cleared ALL of the blowdown (worked from boulder creek pass junction down in the Napeequa to Little Giant TH). Talk about lucky! We set off for camp and found a suitable site a little over 2 hours later.
Berry snacks as we headed up
Berry snacks as we headed up
The next morning we were heading up the trail at 7:30.
Golden hour
Golden hour
At the last switchback, we set out straight uphill for the ridge. For the most part, you can stay on the ridge as you head north. Bouncing to one side or the other is often required to avoid obstacles.
Smoke rolling in from the south
Smoke rolling in from the south
Bandit and Trinity to the south
Bandit and Trinity to the south
Pt 7272 requires a little bit of navigation on the west side of the ridge, but nothing crazy. It looks really cool from the north!
Approaching Pt 7272, Glacier and Brahma beyond
Approaching Pt 7272, Glacier and Brahma beyond
As we approached Little Giant Peak, we started trending downward towards the saddle to the north of the peak. Staying on heather proved to be more pleasant than scree side-hilling. From above, we could see a goat path pointing us in the right direction past the saddle.
Dropping toward the saddle  below Little Giant peak
Dropping toward the saddle below Little Giant peak
The route ahead
The route ahead
Looking back on the amazing goat path
Looking back on the amazing goat path
From the saddle, we followed the beat in goat path to its end and then headed up talus and boulder fields past a snow field. Up some more to a small glacier that had lots of running water.
Next saddle ahead
Next saddle ahead
Entiat peaks across the way
Entiat peaks across the way
Looking up towards the next saddle, we chose the left side of the steep looking snowfield and found ourselves at a big flat pumice field with a snowfield/tarn.
We worked our way up on the ridge above to find ourselves looking at the business end of this long walk out here.
Go time
Go time
We popped up to the highpoint on the left and noticed a notch down to the left that looked doable. Trace scrambled over there and yelled back up "it's class 3!" It was on. We got about 100' beyond the notch over some choss and up to the base of a knife edge. Right side was a no go, left didn't look very good either. Up and over? We racked up and went for it.
Knife edge center left
Knife edge center left
Trace below the route up the false summit
Trace below the route up the false summit
Going over the knife edge was VERY exposed to both sides. A couple of 4th class moves led to downclimbing easier terrain and the base of the false summit block. Trace made an anchor and brought me over. I led up the rest of it. The last 15-20' of the false summit were easy 5th. With some mega exposure below, I stepped out onto the face for the last couple of moves. Looking across, I could see I wasn't on the true summit. I downclimbed some 4th class, then back up some 4th to get up to the summit and brought Trace over.
Trace with the Napeequa 4000' below
Trace with the Napeequa 4000' below
Clark, Luahna, Tenpeak, Hoof, Glacier
Clark, Luahna, Tenpeak, Hoof, Glacier
Napeequa and Cirque from our last trip, Baker, Shuksan, Berge, Dome, Sinister
Napeequa and Cirque from our last trip, Baker, Shuksan, Berge, Dome, Sinister
Buck
Buck
Bonanza, peaks I haven't memorized yet, Fernow, SFJ, Maude
Bonanza, peaks I haven't memorized yet, Fernow, SFJ, Maude
Clark   :borank:
Clark borank.gif
Bandit, Stuart range, Daniel, Hinman, Chimney and Overcoat out right
Bandit, Stuart range, Daniel, Hinman, Chimney and Overcoat out right
I left a nalgene in the cairn
I left a nalgene in the cairn
Getting back down was pretty quick. We probably shoulda just unroped to get back to the false summit, but we did an awkward pitch back over. I made an anchor and we rapped down to the base of the false summit, then scrambled back over the exposed knife edge to the notch. That was that! We stopped for a nice break back at the glacier and downed some water and snacks. We reversed the approach route back to the slopes below Little Giant and worked our way up to just below the ridge. Some short class 2 over red choss had us on the summit.
Looks like few come out this way
Looks like few come out this way
Happy climbers
Happy climbers
Napeequa far below
Napeequa far below
Another quick break on the summit and we headed back down the ridge.
Such a cool ridge walk!
Such a cool ridge walk!
Camp far below. Almost done!
Camp far below. Almost done!
We arrived back at camp at 2:45, which had us just under 8 hours for the out and back. After camp was packed up, we made a mad dash downhill and were back to the ford 75 minutes later. A quick opinion about the Beckey guide for Brahma... what we saw last week from down in the Napeequa valley, neither route would be easy to get to, let alone go up. The route mentioned from the Boulder Creek pass junction seems heinous, battling your way up 3500'+ in <3/4mi. The other way from Louise creek to the west ridge also seems like a pipe dream. Check out the photos of that ridge from the summit. "Some scrambling and careful route finding." Sure thing, man hihi.gif While hypothetical, I don't think the casual peakbagger would attempt either of these routes. Okay, I'm done smile.gif

kw, awilsondc, jaysway, dylpickle, ozzy, LukeHelgeson, RichP, Tom
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostWed Sep 08, 2021 5:04 pm 
I remember it was on your original plan a week before. Nice work going back to tag it!

Eric Eames

bubblehead
ozzy
The hard way

ozzy
The hard way
PostFri Sep 10, 2021 4:14 am 
Oh hells yeah fellas!!! That is badass y'all went back out there and tagged that beast! Reading your TR I'm glad we didn't try and push for the summit lol! Thanks for the write up and nice meeting you two again! Cheers bois! rocker.gif cheers.gif

“I don’t know what’s gonna happen, but I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames”-Mr Mojo Risin

bubblehead
dylpickle

dylpickle
PostMon Sep 13, 2021 10:07 pm 
Nice work! I was thinking about heading out there on Wednesday, but probably stopping at Little Giant...but maybe dropping into the Napeequa and up to Louis Creek. Did it look like there were some spots to camp along the ridge between the pass the LG? Anywhere to grab water? Or better off camping below the pass and approach it as you did? Cheers