Forum Index > Trail Talk > What is the most amount of gain you've done in a single day?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
veronika

veronika
PostThu Sep 02, 2021 8:02 pm 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
Has to be day trip up Mt. Stuart via Longs Pass and Cascadian Couloir
Same here. It was BRUTAL!

Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping I may not have anyone rocking my world right now but, I don't have anyone messing it up either.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Schroder

Schroder
PostSat Sep 04, 2021 1:49 pm 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
Has to be day trip up Mt. Stuart via Longs Pass and Cascadian Couloir, w/ a side trip to Ingalls Lake and out via Ingalls Pass thrown in for good measure
I was going up the Cascadian Couloir with the Mountaineers in about 1969 when we were passed by Gene Prater. He and a couple of others had just come from Camp Schurman after giving up a summit attempt on Rainier early that morning and they had driven over to the Teanaway and beat us to the summit.

olderthanIusedtobe
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSat Sep 04, 2021 5:33 pm 
Schroder wrote:
I was going up the Cascadian Couloir with the Mountaineers in about 1969 when we were passed by Gene Prater. He and a couple of others had just come from Camp Schurman after giving up a summit attempt on Rainier early that morning and they had driven over to the Teanaway and beat us to the summit.
Wow, that's impressive!

Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostSat Sep 04, 2021 9:08 pm 
What's the farthest you've driven for a day trip?

neek

neek
PostSat Sep 04, 2021 9:28 pm 
Riverside Laker wrote:
ah...for me, 10 hour round trip drive for an 8 hour climb (mt adams)

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostSat Sep 04, 2021 9:36 pm 
Riverside Laker wrote:
I drove to the Marble Mountain Sno Park and snowshoed/hiked a loop up and around June Lake this January. Probably somewhere between 7.5 and 8.5 hours of driving that day. We were trying to loop around the Loowit Trail instead of the Pika trail and lost the route at a washout. Had to backtrack to June Lake.... Second photo shows the best view we had of Loowit that day. Was it worth it? Well... we got out of the house in January.
Washout
Washout
Bashful
Bashful

camut

camut
PostMon Sep 06, 2021 9:35 am 
Schroder wrote:
My late husband was also on that climb in '69, and enjoyed meeting the Praters again under more favorable conditions than the first time he met them. He first met Gene and Bill Prater on Stuart the previous year when they were the first to arrive, along with Barry Prather, shortly after sunrise to assist with the rescue of one of the climbers with my husband's climbing party who fell and broke his leg on the descent at about 7500'. My husband, Bill, not only had great admiration for their mountaineering skills, but also the efficiency and precision of their teamwork in moving the injured climber to a location where a helicopter could pick him up. The helicopter was able to make the pick-up with only two preliminary passes over the site. There were several members of the climbing party who made the trip over the route from the parking lot, over Long's Pass, and up to the accident site at 7500' and back three times within an approximate 24-hour time frame in order to help carry out a successful rescue.

Kascadia
Schroder

Schroder
PostTue Sep 07, 2021 5:39 pm 
camut wrote:
My late husband was also on that climb in '69
That's amazing. My mentor that got me started in climbing, Les Kramer, grew up in Ellensburg and went to school with that bunch. I had the pleasure of going on a couple of winter climbs with the Praters and Prather back in those days.

camut

camut
PostTue Sep 07, 2021 9:06 pm 
The climber who broke his leg on the Stuart climb in '68 was also on that same climb you were on in '69. My late husband lead both climbs.

cascadeclimber

cascadeclimber
PostFri Sep 10, 2021 12:57 pm 
Riverside Laker wrote:
I got in the car in Issaquah, picked up my partner, drove to Shasta, climbed the west ridge, skied back to the car, drove back to Ashland for dinner, then drove out to the McLoughlin trailhead where we slept in the car. That was all without sleeping. Not sure how long I was awake between getting up the day we left (I think it was a work day) and falling asleep at McLoughlin. I guess that's not technically a day trip, but it was a shitload of driving and climbing without sleep.

If not now, when?
Slim
This space for rent

Slim
This space for rent
PostFri Sep 10, 2021 1:49 pm 
I gained 5 lbs in one day after eating one of those giant burgers at the Goo Food in Marblemount.

"Lean mean money-making-machines serving fiends"

Navy salad, dixon
neek

neek
PostFri Sep 10, 2021 2:00 pm 
That makes me wonder, what's the maximum amount of weight a person can physically add in a day, excluding things like water and undigested food? You lose 2.3 pounds every day, almost entirely in the form of CO2. Clearly you can make more than that per day, but what, double? These are the sorts of things I think about when I really should be doing other things.

David K

David K
PostFri Sep 10, 2021 9:40 pm 
I’ve done Navaho Peak several times 4,687 ft of gain, I have a GPS that measures all of the up and downs.

If you watch Jaws backwards its the touching story of a giant shark who pukes up so many people the town is forced to build a beach.
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Sep 10, 2021 10:39 pm 
Schroder wrote:
I had the pleasure of meeting Bill Prater on the summit of Mt Dainiel in 2000 -- when he was 75 -- he was still moving respectably -- a good life goal.

Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors

Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors
PostTue Sep 14, 2021 3:51 pm 
Surprisingly only about 11k feet for me.

The Pacific coast to the Great Plains = my playground!!! SummitPost Profile See my website at: http://www.lemkeclimbs.com