Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Wild Blueberries, Blue Huckleberries, Red Huckleberries - Can somebody set me straight?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Sep 10, 2021 5:20 pm 
^ oh... I wouldn't be putting a bunch of chemical stuff on any food crops... bad idea. I've had other people tell me they've put citrus rinds under plants (particularly hydrangea) to help acidify the soil. I suppose you could chop them up so your flowerbeds don't look trashy.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Sep 10, 2021 6:39 pm 
According to my soil test kit, I have modified the soil successfully. I've also worked in spruce needles from the yard trees. The blueberry shrubs have come out of their shock and all but one, which was near death and down to one live branch because it got fried in a different location, are happily growing. I do think the wounded shrub will also survive. I had some shading fabric to put over them but they survived the heat wave without it. I am amazed that they survived this hot summer so well. Oh, and they are mulched with sheets of cardboard covered in wood shavings--conifer of course.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostSun Sep 12, 2021 1:24 am 
Ski wrote:
^ oh... I wouldn't be putting a bunch of chemical stuff on any food crops... bad idea. I've had other people tell me they've put citrus rinds under plants (particularly hydrangea) to help acidify the soil. I suppose you could chop them up so your flowerbeds don't look trashy.
I amended my soil with peat moss before planting and mulched with coffee grounds and conifer needles etc and wasn't seeing a lot of benefit; my plants weren't producing and the leaves were getting chlorotic. I don't think conservative application of minerals are in the same class of "chemical stuff" as pesticides and herbicides. If you want to produce a decent crop without having to wait years, I don't think it's a big problem. Just avoid aluminum. Check out these pamphlets from OSU: https://catalog.extension.oregonstate.edu/ec1560 https://catalog.extension.oregonstate.edu/ec1304

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Sculpin

Sculpin
PostSun Sep 12, 2021 7:25 am 
My daughter - a budding herbalist - recently introduced me to the berries of gaultheria ovatifolia, which I had apparently been walking by for decades. This is a creeping plant closely related to salal, but instead of having meh flavor like salal, it might be the one berry that surpasses even our best blueberries. It is hard to find the right superlatives for the flavor. hmmm.gif The best I can do is a sort of "tutti-frutti" flavor with the complexity of fine wine, and very sweet. They are even smaller than red huckleberries, much harder to find, and never abundant, but worth seeking and picking for sure. agree.gif I think they are more common in the Olympics.

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostSun Sep 12, 2021 8:14 pm 
Anne Elk wrote:
Elemental sulfur is the best, if you can find it.
A couple of years ago the blueberry plants in our garden had leaves that turned bronze which indicates that the soil is not sufficiently acidic. I added some of this to the soil. http://www.soilmender.com/products/soil-mender-sulfur/ This past spring I added some organic fertilizer we mix ourselves (per Steve Solomon) and also added some of the sulphur pellets which I gound into fine material. The plants did great and we have lots of frozen blueberries to enjoy on breakfast kibbles. BTW, Flower World near Matby has *lots* of blueberry varieties. I bought some 'Darrow' this year to replace a different variety in our garden that was not earning its keep. Oh, and despite the dry summer there were a *ton* of nice berries on the trail to Big Rock Lake last week.

Bowregard, Anne Elk
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Sep 16, 2021 9:41 am 
Blackberries (R. Laciniatus) 09/15/21
Blackberries (R. Laciniatus) 09/15/21

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."

Bowregard, zimmertr
Bowregard

Bowregard
PostThu Sep 16, 2021 10:22 am 
Those look like Himalaya Blackberry or possibly Evergreen Blackberry. Now that I think about it the latter is more likely because they are later and the Himalaya Blackberries are just about done. Yum. Pie time.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Sep 16, 2021 9:36 pm 
wild blackberry (r. laciniatus) jam 09/16/21
wild blackberry (r. laciniatus) jam 09/16/21

Bowregard

Bowregard
PostThu Sep 16, 2021 9:42 pm 
No way those berries in the bucket were dewberries - unless the bucket was mug size. It seemed like it used to take hundreds of those little berries to fill a gallon coffee can.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Sep 16, 2021 9:45 pm 
my berry can? it's a 3-pound coffee can. repurposed. wink.gif

Bowregard
Bowregard

Bowregard
PostThu Sep 16, 2021 9:47 pm 
The vertical handle is clever - we always just poked holes on either side and hung a handle like a bucket but they always seemed to tip over and all fall out when you climbed over a log.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Sep 16, 2021 10:06 pm 
oh..... couple holes punched at the top just below the rim... old shoelace tied into a loop. belt goes through loop so can hangs from belt. leaves both hands free to pick. up.gif