Forum Index > Trail Talk > Bear spray malfunction
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Roly Poly

Roly Poly
PostMon Sep 13, 2021 3:31 pm 
I was parked at a TH and was in the drivers seat, windows and doors closed when I grabbed my pack which was in the passenger seat. The safety clip must have wiggled its way loose and all of a sudden the bear spray discharged inside my car. Thankfully it didn’t hit me directly and went mostly on the passenger seat and my cell phone but it only took a few seconds to feel that I couldn’t breathe. That is some powerful stuff! I cleaned everything up including my cell phone but even after I got home and picked up the cell phone, my fingers started to have a burning sensation. I cannot fathom how bad it would be if I got it in my eyes or directly on my skin. The situation was so unpleasant that I have second thoughts about carrying it. You would not want the wind to blow this stuff back on your face.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
flatsqwerl

flatsqwerl
PostMon Sep 13, 2021 3:35 pm 
I am glad you reported what this stuff is really like. I have always wondered. I may start carrying it when I run as I recently ran into some ' human trouble ' on a trail.

Roly Poly
Bowregard

Bowregard
PostMon Sep 13, 2021 4:24 pm 
The bear spray canisters I remember came from the store with a zip tie attaching the safety clip to the can. I always made sure to carry zip ties in my vehicle to replace it before getting back in the car for just that reason. It was a real pain in the backside if you were doing day-hikes in bear country but the idea of it going off in a confined space like that always scared me enough to do it.

Roly Poly
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostMon Sep 13, 2021 4:32 pm 
Roly Poly wrote:
I cannot fathom how bad it would be if I got it in my eyes or directly on my skin.
Oh, it's pretty bad, and I only got a small dose. It happened a long time ago when I was doing one of my 13 hr power drives to Banff. I left during the night and knew I'd have to stop somewhere along the way for a rest. Traveling alone, I was paranoid and brought along one of those palm-sized personal safety cans. Sure enough, I had to stop at a turnout on Hwy 1 somewhere around Shuswap Lake for a snooze. I settled in with it in my hand and the same thing happened - I accidentally pushed the button past the safety lock and it discharged a little in my hand. It didn't aerate in the car, and I rinsed my hand off, "no harm done". Then later, I woke up just in time to see a beautiful sunrise over the lake - and rubbed my eye with that hand ... eek.gif Fortunately I had a lot of water along.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
HikingBex

HikingBex
PostMon Sep 13, 2021 4:59 pm 
I was in a hostel in Juneau once and someone accidentally sprayed their bear spray in the large living room on the first floor. It was a pretty big room (there were probably around 15 people in there comfortably) and within seconds we were all gasping for air. I was shocked how powerful it was from even across a room!

Roly Poly
Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostMon Sep 13, 2021 5:33 pm 
Reminds me of a Bhair Spray mandate https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8027010&highlight=bhair+spray

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
Bowregard

Bowregard
PostMon Sep 13, 2021 5:57 pm 
That bhair spray thread had me going for a bit. I figured it was just a tongue-in-cheek take on a real story until I saw Enchantments. A fun read to be sure.

uww

uww
PostTue Sep 14, 2021 1:21 am 
Roly Poly wrote:
You would not want the wind to blow this stuff back on your face.
I can confirm.

gb

gb
PostTue Sep 14, 2021 4:59 am 
Back when bear spray was a new thing, we took a climbing trip to the Arrigetch Peaks in Gates of the Arctic. FredB had organized a trip and I am glad he did because it was the most spectacular place I have ever been. Anyway, we were staying with the brother (and his family - which is another story) of a former climbing partner of his while organizing for the fly in in Fairbanks. The man we were staying with brought out this gigantic 45 caliber pistol and said we really should have that along. I looked at it and said it was more likely that I would shoot myself in the foot. So, he suggested bearspray. We drove around Fairbanks to retailers; most were out, but this one store had a canister. So we bought one. Back at the fellow's home, we were packing and FredB said he thought we should at least test the spray. So, he went out onto the driveway and tested the spray into the wind, and of course, came away coughing. (At that time the spray just atomized and did not shoot a stream as it does now). The other three of us just laughed and I figured the only way the spray (atomized) would do any good was if the bear already had you pinned! But Fred religiously carried the bear spray (and his rack) on the entire hike in from the drop on the Alatna River. I have this one image of one of the climbers with a big grin on his face looking at Fred carrying the bearspray and rack hanging from his neck on the hike. Another Fred B. story. Of course, now, bearspray deploys mostly as a stream with greater range. I carry it, often in hand (where there is low visibility) on certain hikes in BC.

reststep, Bronco
salpine

salpine
PostTue Sep 14, 2021 10:35 am 
Bear spray typically has an expiration date stamped on the can somewhere. If you're lucky, you will rarely (if ever) need to use it on a critter. So when it's time to get a new one, take the old one out and practice using it. Find a cear area, little to no wind, and shoot as directed. You'll understand how impressive the stuff is...

texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostTue Sep 14, 2021 12:46 pm 
uww wrote:
Roly Poly wrote:
You would not want the wind to blow this stuff back on your face.
I can confirm.
Better to have some blown back in my face than have a bear remove my face.

Roly Poly

Roly Poly
PostTue Sep 14, 2021 12:59 pm 
I only carry it in case of cougar. Bears are not a worry for me. A cougar crossed my path a few weeks ag! The spray scared me because it felt that I couldn’t breathe. I’ve never used it in all of 20 years hiking. Except inside my car🤣😂.

DadFly

DadFly
PostTue Sep 14, 2021 2:19 pm 
My daughter was taught to cover one eye with her hand when using mace or bear spray. That way you have one good eye when the fog clears.

"May you live in interesting times"

bk
thunderhead

thunderhead
PostTue Sep 14, 2021 2:58 pm 
salpine wrote:
take the old one out and practice using it.
And WASH YOUR HANDS afterwards. Lots of times. And don't rub your eyes ever again. Also no matter how much of the propellant leaks out, the capsaicin remains very strong well after the expiration date. Dont ask how i know all this tongue.gif

JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostTue Sep 14, 2021 5:54 pm 
DadFly wrote:
My daughter was taught to cover one eye with her hand when using mace or bear spray. That way you have one good eye when the fog clears.
I thought covering one eye when using bear spray was so you could still see the bear as it was mauling you.