Forum Index > The Trading Post > Wanted: Beater pickup near Redmond, WA +- $1500
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
DadFly

DadFly
PostTue Sep 14, 2021 11:46 am 
Hi, My car is in the shop and parts are hard to get. Could be down for awhile. I am looking for a pickup that isn't too horrible looking and actually runs. It should be a 4 cylinder and have no obvious issues about to explode. I can do a lot of work on it but need it to drive when I pick it up. I have found a few online but they are too far away.

"May you live in interesting times"
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bowregard

Bowregard
PostTue Sep 14, 2021 1:43 pm 
Best of luck to you. Used cars (even old beater pickups) are hard to come by and very expensive these days. I sold my 1988 Ranger and was shocked to get $2700 for it and that was before the prices really skyrocketed.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Sep 14, 2021 3:49 pm 
Why have used car prices gone so insane? I saw an ad recently for a 71 Ford beater but runner for 5k. Wonder what I could get for my ‘74 f-100 390 short box?

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
captain jack
Serving suggestion

captain jack
Serving suggestion
PostTue Sep 14, 2021 4:11 pm 
I have a 1997 Ranger here in Anacortes that runs and drives. Leaks a little oil, a little over 300,000 on the odometer. I was holding onto it because I bought a newer one a couple years ago, and wanted a backup, but the new one is fine. 2.3 liter 4 cylinder, manual trans, extra cab, ready to go if you put tabs on it, tires leak a little, but spare is good. I want $1000.00 for it. Hit me up at chaunceygardener33@gmail.com if interested

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostTue Sep 14, 2021 5:33 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
Why have used car prices gone so insane?
Supply chain problems for manufacturering new cars means used cars are now a hotter commodity. Subaru and GM, for example, have been shutting down production of new cars on and off all year.

Bowregard

Bowregard
PostTue Sep 14, 2021 5:47 pm 
When the dealerships have no new cars on their lots because of manufacturing delays they start buying more used cars to stay in business. Owners hold on to used cars because they can't buy new cars. It has gotten to the point where it is not unusual to see late model used cars going for more than new cars of the same type simply because buyers can get them now. I have heard a lot of stories about people who have sold their 1-2 year old used car back to the dealership for more than they paid for it. In some cases up to $6k more (hybrids mostly). And it is likely to get worse for a little bit before it gets better since Toyota who has avoided the shortages fairly well so far is shutting down due to them now. Of course that really helps nobody unless you happen to have a good backup as a driver so you can sell your late model car for $$$ and purchase new when they are available again.

DadFly

DadFly
PostTue Sep 14, 2021 8:43 pm 
Thank you Captain Jack! 300k is a bit high. But I do appreciate the post.

"May you live in interesting times"
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Sep 20, 2021 5:06 pm 
While we are on the subject of vehicles, what’s the deal with all the cars I see on the road lately with no front license plate, especially the Tesla’s? I have a classic car and they only issue a front plate for those, I used to get pulled over all the time, cops making u turns to track me down.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.